Spring Fling XXVII Dates: May 11 & 12, 2013 !!!

-
What a weekend! I sold over 2k in parts and bought a very rare set of Batten W2 aluminum heads and a four bolt main 340 block.

On Friday we went to Picture car warehouse. There was only 10 or so cars. Then we ventured off to Bobs Big Boy on Corbin and it was pretty decent. After that we hit Bob's in Toluca Lake and it was happening. I put about 200 miles on my Bee and I think I broke a valve spring on a speed shift somewhere along the line. All in all a great night.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 325
  • photo-3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 329
see this one? Wow....Yo, Geezer, get out of my shot!

Attachments

• DSCF1341.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 320
What a weekend! I sold over 2k in parts and bought a very rare set of Batten W2 aluminum heads and a four bolt main 340 block.

On Friday we went to Picture car warehouse. There was only 10 or so cars. Then we ventured off to Bobs Big Boy on Corbin and it was pretty decent. After that we hit Bob's in Toluca Lake and it was happening. I put about 200 miles on my Bee and I think I broke a valve spring on a speed shift somewhere along the line. All in all a great night.

Was that the 340 4 bolt that the bolt holes leaked into a water jacket. IIRC, the seller said if it for a race car and 1/2 filled, it wouldn't be an issue. Made sense to me....But I thought he'd never find a buyer for it.

That guy from Bay area? has had those Batten heads since Fall Fling. He was pretty high on the price. Did you get him to come down some.

My dad was at Picture Car Warehouse at 6:00 pm and I thought he said there were 40 Mopars and about 100-150 people there. ?? Did you come at a different time? Maybe my dad's numbers were off or I'm not remembering right.

What time did you get over to Bob's in Burbank? With the nice weather I bet that place was stuffed from 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm. And the amazing thing is the cars turnover so much there. On a day like that, about every 2 hours there's an entire new set of cars!

I commend you for your ambitious Friday night three cruise/event schedule. That's die hard!

I recommended it to a few people and they were afraid it was too much for them.

Had a great time, this was the first time I've attended this type of event...
20130510_120811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had a great time, this was the first time I've attended this type of event...

Awesome. Did you go to the Motion Picture Car Warehouse kick off party and the Saturday Night Cruise?

Were you looking for parts for an A-body while you were out at the show?

Those mirror shots are so cool. Here's another one someone took. What car did you drive on the Friday Malibu Cruise? I have pictures of all the cars leaving the Park on Friday Morning.

IMG_7243.JPG

I found and bought a sbp disc setup, an air cleaner, and a 600 cfm summit brand carb. Also got a chrome box for 5 bucks, hope it works. Lol

I found and bought a sbp disc setup, an air cleaner, and a 600 cfm summit brand carb. Also got a chrome box for 5 bucks, hope it works. Lol

How much $$ ?

Did you feel you got good deals?

I am restoring a 71 Duster w/ my 13 yr old grandson to be his first car. I was driving the 2011 Challenger R/T Classic black w/ white stripes. we loved the Malibu cruise and the motion picture studio, we went to Bob's big boy but didn't stick around till all showed up, we were hot & tired!

funny thing about the picture I took thru the mirror showed several cars that were from Az & I didn't realize it till today! they are all close where I live!

It was nice to meet you Evildart on Sat. morning. Car is looking really good. Maybe next year mine will be lined up next to yours!

Ian

Thanks Ian it was nice to meet up with you and a few FABO members and put faces to screen names. All of the FABO members that I met on Sat and Sun, they all said the same thing "You're on the FABO forums aren't you?" Glad to see people have read my build thread.

Ken

How much $$ ?

Did you feel you got good deals?

Of course. Its the best going to swap meets. Best chance for good deals. I brought more money then I needed though, but I'm not complaining.:D

Spring Fling video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKykdB82ArE"]Mopars Spring Fling 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

This was all shot using a Pivothead camera (sunglass camera):

pivothead-bigglasses.png

Spring Fling Speed Festival Footage:

[ame]http://youtu.be/5kRH-gIIxA4[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/fjJkg8xtVrQ[/ame]

That guy from Bay area? has had those Batten heads since Fall Fling. He was pretty high on the price. Did you get him to come down some.

I paid $750 for the heads with valves new in the box. He wouldn't budge on the price. I figured I got a good deal since I have never even seen a set for sale.

Was that the 340 4 bolt that the bolt holes leaked into a water jacket. IIRC, the seller said if it for a race car and 1/2 filled, it wouldn't be an issue. Made sense to me....But I thought he'd never find a buyer for it.

The 4 bolt block is exactly as you described. All of the splayed main caps go into the water jacket.

My dad was at Picture Car Warehouse at 6:00 pm and I thought he said there were 40 Mopars and about 100-150 people there. ?? Did you come at a different time? Maybe my dad's numbers were off or I'm not remembering right.

Looks like I got there late. Judging from the pics EvilDart posted. Looks like I parked in his spot after he left.

What time did you get over to Bob's in Burbank? With the nice weather I bet that place was stuffed from 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm. And the amazing thing is the cars turnover so much there. On a day like that, about every 2 hours there's an entire new set of cars!

I commend you for your ambitious Friday night three cruise/event schedule. That's die hard!

I recommended it to a few people and they were afraid it was too much for them.

The tough part was fighting traffic up to LA in the first place then, as the night went on, it was play time! :burnout: We got over to Bobs Burbank around 9:30. Next year we are going to do the Malibu cruise too for a four point tour!

I paid $750 for the heads with valves new in the box. He wouldn't budge on the price. I figured I got a good deal since I have never even seen a set for sale.

I'm pretty sure last Fall Fling he was asking well over $1000. I thought more near $2K. IIRC, I overheard him asking someone what they thought they were worth. Sounds like a sweet deal if they check out ok.

The 4 bolt block is exactly as you described. All of the splayed main caps go into the water jacket.

Are you going to "fill" it?

Sounds like a perfect match for buyer and seller. :cheers:

I'm pretty sure last Fall Fling he was asking well over $1000. I thought more near $2K. IIRC, I overheard him asking someone what they thought they were worth. Sounds like a sweet deal if they check out ok.

Are you going to "fill" it?

Sounds like a perfect match for buyer and seller. :cheers:

I saw 3 sets of cast iron W2s and the pricing on them was like it was 2006! One guy even told me that I had to buy his ancient iron non-roller rockers because they were a matched set! Cheapest set of W2s out there was 2k!!

I am not going to fill the block at all, I am going to seal the bolts so coolant doesn't seep through. Chevies have this crap go on all over their motors so I don't think it will be a problem here. We will see!!

-
Back