Starter Holes: Why the Difference in Diameter?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
After ten years on the car I never noticed the holes for the mounting bolts are different in size. What's up with that. Am I missing a spacer/bushing or something? In the photo, the hole on the left is plainly larger than the mounting hole on the right. Thank you.

starter holes.JPG

I am guessing a little wiggle room so it aligns with the nose pilot

Jus' be happy we don't have GM and their damned shims. Doesn't that say something about machining precision?

You need to do a search. There was just a thread about this the other day. Very informative.

I believe the larger hole goes over the stud in the trans. It is larger to clear the un-threaded part of the stud.

I read through that second recent thread, thank you. It still seems somewhat of a mystery of the engineering of the larger hole if the nose of the starter and the small hole locate it correctly. As long as it lines up though, not to worry.

I read through that second recent thread, thank you. It still seems somewhat of a mystery of the engineering of the larger hole if the nose of the starter and the small hole locate it correctly. As long as it lines up though, not to worry.

I checked an OE bell and my scatter shield and both don’t have a very tight fit on the nose cone like I remembered. I was going to take a video of how sloppy the are, but holding my iPad in one hand, the starter in the other and trying to talk at the same time was a recipe for disaster.

I almost dropped the iPad and my hand was not working good enough to really hold the starter so I bagged the video.

It’s easy to check and see how loose they are. That’s why I put a bushing in my starters.

-
Back