starter relay- bahahahahaha

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK so I need a new one for the 67 Bel 1. the right one. not the one with 2 ears for the 62-5, but the one eared common as dirt ( used to be)..... ONE;.... after work in springfield, mo. I stop at an O Reilly to get a few parts this starter relay, included.
I had aleady looked it up in their computer site. NONE listed for 67 ! ha yea right. but look it up for 70. there it is $10.99.. call for "availability"! the counter guy pulls one out, the 2 eared early one! $ 15.99 maybe the early ones costs more? I take it, need it for the 64 dart that will pretty soon get an engine ( used no doubt!)...... YES, it takes the early relay 2 eared ones......BUT>....counter guy says " I can have the other one here from warehouse at 3 pm. NO i'm one way home... 60 mi.

Ha.. so I get home call local O Reillys. yep, $10.99 BUT it is NOT in any of their warehouses, has to come from Borg Warner. $18.99 is the cost! ya pay shipping, we don't stock it! bahahahahha. bull s***! so why does Springfield guy say he will have it in his hand at 3??? " guy musta made mistake"> ok.......

I call the local private sorta parts store. can have it in a m .... price is $15.00..... O K order it!

NOW, just for giggles, I look it up in Classic Ind. cat. there it is $9.99 ... they even show the 2 difference types, auto and stick,... NOT O Reilly.... BUT we know they will charge me $15 extra for shipping, handling, boxing, and care. right! ha ha ha ha........

I have to admit , it is getting to where the fun factor is drying up, especially every time i deal with this crap. .... over priced parts, new but BAD parts, sorry Chinese junk, not available, I pay shipping because O Reilly does not "stock" it.... etc etc etc.....????

NOW, I relize I have TOO many old mopars I piddle with. I can haul home a $500 car home , put 5000 hrs of my labor in it, $4000 of parts and materials, and if I try to sell one off the herd, price it for $2000.... and no one even looks! ha.

I have to wonder, how much drama and trama would I have if I ordered an engine overhaul kit!???????????????? bahahaahhahahahha

That is why we still talk about the good old days. Remember when we were able to walk into a parts store and the guy was a car guy that could pick up most any part you need, almost always had it in stock and could explain to you how to install the part as well as a short cut he picked up working on his own hot rod.
Dang I miss those days.

Didn't have a computer either. Rant over, maybe

Didn't have a computer either. Rant over, maybe

sorry, I agree this is a rant. ha.... last bit here. so I go to auto store this a m, and there it is, correct part where ya wires go, but the bracket is 3 inches long, really. never seen anything even like it. so I will pay the $18 at O Reilly. maybe NAPA has one, but they are 70 mi trip, ha
rant over!

70 mile trip, wow. I am spoiled, I have 5 different parts places within 5 miles of my house. Doesn't mean they have everything, but 2 of the big ones have distribution centers 20 miles away.

OK so I need a new one for the 67 Bel 1. the right one. not the one with 2 ears for the 62-5, but the one eared common as dirt ( used to be)..... ONE;.... after work in springfield, mo. I stop at an O Reilly to get a few parts this starter relay, included.
I had aleady looked it up in their computer site. NONE listed for 67 ! ha yea right. but look it up for 70. there it is $10.99.. call for "availability"! the counter guy pulls one out, the 2 eared early one! $ 15.99 maybe the early ones costs more? I take it, need it for the 64 dart that will pretty soon get an engine ( used no doubt!)...... YES, it takes the early relay 2 eared ones......BUT>....counter guy says " I can have the other one here from warehouse at 3 pm. NO i'm one way home... 60 mi.

Ha.. so I get home call local O Reillys. yep, $10.99 BUT it is NOT in any of their warehouses, has to come from Borg Warner. $18.99 is the cost! ya pay shipping, we don't stock it! bahahahahha. bull s***! so why does Springfield guy say he will have it in his hand at 3??? " guy musta made mistake"> ok.......

I call the local private sorta parts store. can have it in a m .... price is $15.00..... O K order it!

NOW, just for giggles, I look it up in Classic Ind. cat. there it is $9.99 ... they even show the 2 difference types, auto and stick,... NOT O Reilly.... BUT we know they will charge me $15 extra for shipping, handling, boxing, and care. right! ha ha ha ha........

I have to admit , it is getting to where the fun factor is drying up, especially every time i deal with this crap. .... over priced parts, new but BAD parts, sorry Chinese junk, not available, I pay shipping because O Reilly does not "stock" it.... etc etc etc.....????

NOW, I relize I have TOO many old mopars I piddle with. I can haul home a $500 car home , put 5000 hrs of my labor in it, $4000 of parts and materials, and if I try to sell one off the herd, price it for $2000.... and no one even looks! ha.

I have to wonder, how much drama and trama would I have if I ordered an engine overhaul kit!???????????????? bahahaahhahahahha
humm.... maybe you should have put a Wanted ad on here - 30min. wait - someone would have had it... you pay right away via the net - it probably would have shipped today - -you likely would have had it tomorrow or Saturday...

I don't know. I just went to my local O'Reilly store, asked for the

I don't know. I just went to my local O'Reilly store, asked for the
(not sure what happened there) - anyway, asked for the starter relay for my 1965 Valiant. no problem, not on the shelf, but it'll be there to pick up at 8 AM tomorrow. Borg Warner S77 multi-relay, list 27.10, my net price 14.39 plus tax. no problem, and this was an hour before closing time, Monday night. I guess it depends on where you live and what they stock for that area. They had it on a shelf at a store 10 miles away, and they move to my store at no chart overnight.

Welll.........................a...............reality check..................We are working on ANTIQUES. That's right. ANTIQUE cars. Should we REALLY expect "instant" service out of the parts stores? The QUALITY is what I ***** about. When Waltrip was sponsored by NAPA I used to chide those guys "you think Waltrip uses this Chinese junk on his race car?"

Here's a TRUE story. "In the eighties" I worked for a HUGE local parts store. It fronted an entire city block, auto, light truck parts, popular parts for big rigs (mostly logging) chokers, rigging wire rope and chain, industrial janitorial, hydraulic hoses, and we turned drums and rotors....all the way from Fiats to the log truck drums. And we relined the big truck shoes. That's only a part of it. sold and repaired Miller welders and supplies, and the boss started the towns first "fastener" store not long after I started there.

There was a big tall, nice lanky guy who DROVE a Model AA truck, flatbed. he USED it, hauled lumber, etc. "Old Nick" had been there since year no2, 1931 is when they started.

One of the guys had showed me "this box" when I first started there, "down there" in the dust.

So this guy comes in, "Howdy Nick, how ya doin, say........I don't spose you can get me a ring and pinion fer my ol' model A?"

Nick says "we might have that in stock."

So he goes back, gets this old orange and black Timken box with the ring /pinion, dusts it off and takes it up front and dumps it on the counter.

"Oh yeah, we STOCK those."

THE THING IS THIS. George, the Model AA owner NOW HE THINKS WE STOCK all this crap for a damned old Model A (AA) truck. Hell we would have been lucky to have points and plugs for the damn things. This was maybe 1980, so that Model AA was between 48 and 53 years old...........just about what THESE "model A" cars are in age

Parts are pretty junky now-a-days. Picked up a p/s hose for my Chevy truck. AC Delco label, hose inked "made in China". I deal with a Napa that is close to 40 miles, one way. Go buy several O'Reillys, and a few other Napa stores. Rich and Scott are both car guys, will see to it that you get what you need. Plus they treat me right $$ wise. Last 1515 Wix Gold filter cost me $3.

The NAPA store here is not very impressive. Coeur d Alene is not that small a town, anymore, and the store here is fairly small. There's been numerous times I've needed something.......such as for the White Whale, and they did not have it, O'Reallys did. O'Really sells pretty much the same crap as NAPA. There are three girls working there, one is the manager, and ALL of them try their best to get "my stuff."

Yep that was the best of days when you asked for a part and the sales guy new what you wanted and had it on hand , we lost the good guys to the microfilms Now they cant cross reference the right part , don't even ask for mopar here theyjust laugh YOU WANT IT WHEN I YI YI

Here's a TRUE story. "In the eighties" I worked for a HUGE local parts store. It fronted an entire city block, auto, light truck parts, popular parts for big rigs (mostly logging) chokers, rigging wire rope and chain, industrial janitorial, hydraulic hoses, and we turned drums and rotors....all the way from Fiats to the log truck drums. And we relined the big truck shoes. That's only a part of it. sold and repaired Miller welders and supplies, and the boss started the towns first "fastener" store not long after I started there.

There was a big tall, nice lanky guy who DROVE a Model AA truck, flatbed. he USED it, hauled lumber, etc. "Old Nick" had been there since year no2, 1931 is when they started.

One of the guys had showed me "this box" when I first started there, "down there" in the dust.

So this guy comes in, "Howdy Nick, how ya doin, say........I don't spose you can get me a ring and pinion fer my ol' model A?"

Nick says "we might have that in stock."

So he goes back, gets this old orange and black Timken box with the ring /pinion, dusts it off and takes it up front and dumps it on the counter.

"Oh yeah, we STOCK those."

We've still got an old Mom and Pop store that opened back in the 40s or 50s called Auto Accessory here. Went into a block of buildings, part of which used to be an old tavern called the Nova Tap back in the 30s. They're a lot like the place you worked at in the 80s, even today, with old and hard to find parts still sitting on the shelves back in the back. Covered in about two inches of dust. I've heard that they have more parts just sitting in the back than they actually have out on the shelves in the front. They're not hoarders, though. If somebody needs something, and they have it, they'll sell it. And they aren't that bad on prices, either, from what I've heard.

AutoAccessory.png

Who cares?? I got hot Asian singles wanting my bod!!!! I'll get you one too barber!!! ITS TRUE! It says so on the ad!!!!

Dude, the O'Reilly warehouse is IN Springfield. It's right off of east chestnut expressway. just go get it at the warehouse next time!

Yeah I always like when you go in for say a Mini Satrter and give them the Lester #17466, and they need a car to look up in their computer. They cant pull a part with just the part number.

Yeah I always like when you go in for say a Mini Satrter and give them the Lester #17466, and they need a car to look up in their computer. They cant pull a part with just the part number.

That's because they are lazy.

The internet and the phone was my friend. If I couldn't cross reference the number, I'd look it up on google and second source it. Through my "normal" vendors I could usually get it dropped shipped within a couple of days. Through my second source vendors I usually got a corporate discount and still sell cheaper than the vendor.

That's because they are lazy.

The internet and the phone was my friend. If I couldn't cross reference the number, I'd look it up on google and second source it. Through my "normal" vendors I could usually get it dropped shipped within a couple of days. Through my second source vendors I usually got a corporate discount and still sell cheaper than the vendor.
When I built the local Autozone client commercial list,and running Commercial Department,they were so bad about use of Internet uses(can't really argue,there..)I used this site ,plus others..& called people I knew ,for knowledge.Laziness applies: Needed a thermostat gasket,on the Magnum swap,in my Scamp.I rattle off "Fel Pro 35062 ",Chev gasket....The guy,couldn't find it .?I went back,found it by eyeballs...I know it's a dying thing, no one says,"I know this...". Why I am buying from Amazon,& people I actually know....

We had an old tractor supply compamy here in Sun Praire Wi. back in the day , those guys knew just by telling them what you needed then came the micro fish , then the computer and they all retired . The new guys came in and didn't have a clue. By the 80"s they closed up The Napa was going nuts and then all the box stores followed , now we have an orilies , advanced auto , napa "s about dead , the rest is up to me finding my parts on the internet or right here in FABO where TRUST AND BE TRUE SELLING is the RULE , this isn't e bay .
HAGR81 ALL , Winstoninwisc

other day, I needed a set of stock SB lifter, just 16 lifters. I look it up on O Reillys site. they have some Melling at decent price, BUT special order I pay $$$$ for shipping. ordered the same stuff off feebay f ree shipping for half.
on the political forum here other day, a die hard liberal was telling us how great our economy is, and mentions how OReillys profits are up 23% right now! wonder why!!!????? ha
we have a good NAPA is Carthage and Joplin, BUT none in springfield, home of O reillys! ha I have always loved NAPA .

If you go into the NAPA in Kernersville, NC and asked for a part for my 65 Barracuda their system doesn't list the car. You have to go look up Valiant and go from there to find the parts.

I bet before long almost any part for our old cars at O reilly and box stores will be special order, we pay shipping and higher price for part... . they might not even want that business unless they figure they are screwing ya!? ha
greed. is what I call it.

You Sir are preaching to the choir! I think you are correct. I know they carry the most popular items, and the most profitable ones. The salesman at the NAPA said he couldn't remember the last time someone came in looking for parts for a Barracuda

You Sir are preaching to the choir! I think you are correct. I know they carry the most popular items, and the most profitable ones. The salesman at the NAPA said he couldn't remember the last time someone came in looking for parts for a Barracuda

Thats where I like to have fun with them.
Year car sir ?
Well lets see. It could be a 70 Dart, or a 65 Valiant, or a 71 Scamp, or a 72 Demon, or a 70 Duster,
Or a 68 Baracuda.....Enter blank stare. :)

-
Back