Steeing Coupler Seal

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the power steering gear on my'65 Barracuda. I noticed the seal for the steering coupler is rotted. There is what looks like a seal cup that fits over the end of the steering column tube. It appears to be part of the coupler seal. I have found several places that have the coupler seal in stock but without the seal cup. What's the story of these parts?

A '65 would have one seal for the coupler, and another for the column tube. The column one is available at many sources. Not sure about the early coupler one. Maybe the '67-up one will work? You need to pull the center shaft out of the column to install the tube seal.

I'm in the process of replacing the power steering gear on my'65 Barracuda. I noticed the seal for the steering coupler is rotted. There is what looks like a seal cup that fits over the end of the steering column tube. It appears to be part of the coupler seal. I have found several places that have the coupler seal in stock but without the seal cup. What's the story of these parts?
These what you are looking for? There is also a coupler rebuild kit with a new spring and shoes. This is on Mega Parts USA site.

1672947227564.png

"Someplace" there is a magic better designed wire spring retainer for the cover. The seal is a joke. You fill it with grease and the "seal" just keeps the worst of dirt and road splash out, and "most" of the grease in. I'd just investigate cutting a piece maybe even an old piece of leather etc.

YES as said above. That wire bail is designed as a cure by Chrysler because once you take the metal cap off, I have never gotten it to seal again and stay there. I'll never fix a coupler again with out using one. Doesn't DMT sell them?

Here's what I did to my 64. It turned into a whole lot more then coupler seal and column seal. LOL

-
Back