Steering column grommet??????

-

Reaction score
Any one happen to know if any one makes these grommets new? Rebuilding my column for my 65 and would like to replace it. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 100_08702.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 267
Any one happen to know if any one makes these grommets new? Rebuilding my column for my 65 and would like to replace it. Thanks!!!

I have not seen anyone reproducing those grommets over the last 30 years I've been into 65 Darts. But hopefully some day......

It looks like you (like most) are also missing the white plastic block inside the steering tube that seals out hot gas and helps center the tube. Look up my post on this, with many solutions contributed.

It looks like you (like most) are also missing the white plastic block inside the steering tube that seals out hot gas and helps center the tube. Look up my post on this, with many solutions contributed.

Thanks,
I bought a new reproduction shaft seal from I think Soft Seal. Looks dead on the old one. But boy are they proud of it!!!

Just can not find this seal. Locally mine is just starting to split. So I can probably do a repair with black RTV if I clean it well. Was just hoping to find a new one.

I have not seen anyone reproducing those grommets over the last 30 years I've been into 65 Darts. But hopefully some day......

Thanks!
Yea I sure would like to find a new one. With all those years on 65's, what have you done about that grommet? Just sealed it with RTV???? Thanks!

Thanks!
Yea I sure would like to find a new one. With all those years on 65's, what have you done about that grommet? Just sealed it with RTV???? Thanks!

When I have found untouched orginals on a wreking yard I had boght those plates incl the column. They are impossible to find. Then I just used rubber softener to smoothen them up. I even did that for my convertible and have a mint one for my hardtop as well. Let me know if you want one. I have some spares!

I used a gas tank grommet and some black rtv sealant and it works fine. cheap too.

Just got a tip from trudysduster (thanks!) that the gas tank seal is the same size and works.

The gas tank grommit is thicker on the backside, but a few bucks cheaper.

Thanks,
I already ordered one from the first pace you mentioned. So we will see hot it turns out.

Are you refering to the tube to shaft seal or the tube to firewall plate seal? there is also a foam gasket under the plate.

Are you refering to the tube to shaft seal or the tube to firewall plate seal? there is also a foam gasket under the plate.

The tube to firewall plate. I have one coming now so we will see how it looks when I get it. I have a complete foam seal kit from Schumacher to finish it off.

I just did my column and I used an RTV filled rollerblade wheel I turned down to fit into the tube. Shaft fit inside almost perfectly. Im a cheap bastard..my '65 Barracuda had no plate whatsoever, just a grommet and a tight seal.
DSC00353.JPG

Skateboard wheel would have been solid and better, but I was using those.....

-
Back