Steering Column Rebuild

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
I took apart the steering column on my 65 Dart to paint and lube. Hope the photos and details help.

Mine is a floor shift automatic, so the column is simple. Also, not collapsible like later Darts (69+?). The column tube is exactly 30"L. The steering rod is a solid 3/4"D rod, 36-3/16"L. A single ball bearing fits in a rubber ring that sits in a recess in the aluminum column head. The bearing is 19 mmID x 30 mmOD x 6 mmW.

I pressed the coupler pin out (shop press), but you may not need to since the bearing is held by a snap ring on each side. It is pressed on, but a screwdriver and hammer on the inner race will drive it off the shaft.

The inside of my tube had surface rust (did factory even paint it?). I cleaned it with a wire brush on a drill extension and sprayed rust converter primer and black enamel. I sprayed the outside with epoxy enamel ("appliance paint"). The end of my column was open. I understand there should be a plastic shield there. I cut a washer out of polycarbonate and set it w/ RTV to block air flow from the engine compartment thru the tube.

The tube presses into the head and is secured with two special square-head bolts. You must orient the heads so the long side fits in the tube's slots. The tapered cone is held tight by sheet metal screws. My shift lever was a bit corroded, but Scotchbrite and steel wool made it shiny. I sprayed clear laquer to ward off rust.

I used a coupler rebuild kit and ended up tearing the rubber seal when trying secure the coupler cover fingers. I used red silicone tape and RTV to seal it. Works, but a Frankenstein look. I recall that stupid coupler cover was always popping off on my 69 Dart. Not a slick design.

Finally, the connector was missing from the wire harness. Too many people don't know you can easily release the pins with a small screwdriver. No need to cut wires. If same as my Newport, it should be a 10 position housing for the 7 wires. Extra pins must be for options like cruise control. I searched for the connector, but nothing. A 74 Duster in JY had totally different connector. If I can't do better, I'll use the 8-positon connector and pins shown. That is a "Packard 56 Series Terminal" type used in the firewall connector and many other places in 60's Mopar and GM cars. The correct connector pins are shown in the photo (turn signal from 69 Dart). It looks like perhaps a "Metripak 630" type, but no idea where to buy. I hate having to crimp the wrong pins on. See http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/AutomotiveElectricalConnectors.htm

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3,441
  • PICT0007.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,931
Looking good! Was there a question there somewhere? I don't think I would have pressed the pin out of the center shaft unless it was bad but if you get it back like it was originally, I guess it will be alright. The lower column seal is available as a reproduction part. I got one from an auto swap meet. You state that it's a floor shift column but then mention your shift lever was corroded....maybe you mean the turn signal lever? The '67-up turn signal switches are different than the '66 and older ones but I think you can modify it a bit to use. If you want to keep from having to modify your dash harness, I have a used 10 pin plastic connector for the turn signal harness. Those wire bales that hold the boot tight are a pain! Trying to get them straight and then the correct shape to snap on tightly is the most time consuming part of the whole process. To add to the problem, the later coupler rebuild kits use a bale that is slightly different than the original '65 unit. It'll work but you have to tweak it a bit on the cleats.

cudamark,

Thanks for the info.

Pressing out the end pin was another "didn't need to take that off" moment. It did press out fairly easily though.

I added "find lower column seal" to my long-term parts list. If I add that, I will also fix the torn coupler seal. Thanks for pointing out that the seal retainer is different in 65. That probably added to my problems and why I tore the seal. I have the rusty old one and will clean it up for the next pass. Correct, I meant to say "turn signal lever". Amazing how shiny it is with only a little effort.

I would like to get the factory 10-pin connector, but would only work if I can get the mating one and 7 pins on both sides. If you have both sides, please PM, or if you know what the mating harness connector is called and where to buy it. A prior owner cut off both connectors and replaced with butt splices and electrical tape, so I don't have the harness conector either. My main reason for getting the connector is to stay synched to my 65 Newport and replacement turn signal switches.

I agree that the 67-up turn signal switches can work. I put a new one (Paddock) for my 69 Dart in my 65 Newport (after Dart stolen). The main difference is the Newport doesn't need the 2 wires on the cam. I also recall trimming the body of the switch slightly. The cam wires are needed in cars that share the same filament for turn signal and stop light in the rear. BTW, I never liked that dinky single-bulb rear lamp in my 69 Dart (safe?). I eventually got a plastic cam for the Newport's original switch and re-installed. The "almost new" switch is the one with crimps on the wires in my photo. The Newport's switch seems more rugged, with sliding contacts, instead of sheet metal. The one in my 65 Dart looks similar (rugged, no cam wires) and is probably same PN as Newport's.

cudamark,

Thanks for the info.

Pressing out the end pin was another "didn't need to take that off" moment. It did press out fairly easily though.

I added "find lower column seal" to my long-term parts list. If I add that, I will also fix the torn coupler seal. Thanks for pointing out that the seal retainer is different in 65. That probably added to my problems and why I tore the seal. I have the rusty old one and will clean it up for the next pass. Correct, I meant to say "turn signal lever". Amazing how shiny it is with only a little effort.

I would like to get the factory 10-pin connector, but would only work if I can get the mating one and 7 pins on both sides. If you have both sides, please PM, or if you know what the mating harness connector is called and where to buy it. A prior owner cut off both connectors and replaced with butt splices and electrical tape, so I don't have the harness conector either. My main reason for getting the connector is to stay synched to my 65 Newport and replacement turn signal switches.

I agree that the 67-up turn signal switches can work. I put a new one (Paddock) for my 69 Dart in my 65 Newport (after Dart stolen). The main difference is the Newport doesn't need the 2 wires on the cam. I also recall trimming the body of the switch slightly. The cam wires are needed in cars that share the same filament for turn signal and stop light in the rear. BTW, I never liked that dinky single-bulb rear lamp in my 69 Dart (safe?). I eventually got a plastic cam for the Newport's original switch and re-installed. The "almost new" switch is the one with crimps on the wires in my photo. The Newport's switch seems more rugged, with sliding contacts, instead of sheet metal. The one in my 65 Dart looks similar (rugged, no cam wires) and is probably same PN as Newport's.
.................................................................................................
How about this? $15 delivered.
Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• 100_0743.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,706
Bill, do you know what the inside diameter of the steering tube measures at the shaft end where the seal goes? I know you said the shaft is 3/4" Thanks

737jetdr,
Just saw your post. Fortunately, I still have the column out. I measure the ID of the column tube on the engine side as 2.025" directly (difficult) or 2.035" from OD less 2 wall thicknesses. I glued my homemade plastic disk 0.5" from the end. There is no stop for it, so I expect the factory just pushed it in about the same. I recall photos of it on FABO, a white plastic.

Thanks for the links. I filed away for a future pass at the steering. The factory coupler is cute, a sort of mini version of the "Detroit" ball & trunnion joint in my 65 Dart's drive-shaft. Interesting that my 65 Newport's steering shaft has both that coupler and a rubber disk, though maybe the coupler there just slides. I have never taken it apart.

73jetdr,

Looks like smart re-engineering to put a bearing at the end of the column to support the shaft. However, must wonder why Chrysler didn't do that. Could be cost or could be because the end of the rod needs to float a bit. If not, the steering shaft might tend to bind if over-constrained.

The upper bearing fixes one point on the shaft. The steering gear fixes a point at the lower end. This new bearing would need to be on the same centerline. Perhaps the column can flex enough to make that true, plus it gets centered before you bolt it in place. I also don't know how much gap exists with the former plastic spacer. Should work, but insure you can turn the shaft freely before driving it. Please let us know if it works, and how you secured the bearing.

I used the bearing and 2 collars from the links I posted from fastenal. Cleaned up the shaft real good with 80 grit emery cloth. Used a collar on each side of the bearing. The bearing is 2" o.d. and had just a small amount of play since the i.d. of the tube is 2.05". I spread a small amount of black rtv inside of the tube where the bearing is going to ride then slid the bearing into place. The bearing has a nice fit on the shaft and the shaft spins very smooth and easy. Have to pardon the crudeness of my work and the crappy phone pics. Since I work out of town I have turned the hatch of my focus into a work bench to get stuff done while away from home. The bearing is sealed on both sides. It will probably out last the car.

Dartman, How much do you need for column connector?

Attachments

• 0509011745.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,453
  • 0509011745b.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,403
  • 0509011745a.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,412
Nice work! I like your bearing installation solution with the RTV. Which specific Borgeson coupler did you use, and did you have to modify anything? Cut the steering shaft or anything like that?

Thanks.I did have to cut the shaft. The coupler I used is the vibration reducing coupler. I don't recall the actual part number but when I called Borgeson they told me that they have a mopar specific one.

I was going to use epoxy but decided against that just in case I ever had to remove the bearing. The wiggle factor was very small and the rtv should hold it just fine.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Steel_Vibration_Reducer_UJoint-orderby_0-p-1-c-17.html

I can't remember the exact details . I installed it over a year ago because my factory coupler was totally wasted. Pretty sure I removed the old steering coupler and reinstalled the column then just eyeballed it based on the length of the borgeson coupler. This is the second one of these that I have. I put one on my 67 dart about 5 years ago as well.

Just a quick update. I put my modified column back in the Cuda last weekend. Everything lined up perfect and steering is super smooth with the extra bearing on the end shaft. Also, no more hot air coming up the steering column. Nice to have working turn signals too.

Nice write up - thanks for posting this.

This in on the top 10 list for my '65 Cuda. The turn signals don't cancel, and there is about 3 inches of slop in the wheel that all seems to be coming from that joint at the steering gear.

Interesting that the Borgeson joint is so much cheaper than the OEM joint. Definitely the way I will go. sure wish the part number was available, I would order one right now.

Where are you guys getting the switches & cams for the column? I like to get all the parts together & kitted up before I start a project.

B.

Can anyone post a picture of the horn switch or maybe all the parts required to make one work? Please??

Nice write up - thanks for posting this.

This in on the top 10 list for my '65 Cuda. The turn signals don't cancel, and there is about 3 inches of slop in the wheel that all seems to be coming from that joint at the steering gear.

Interesting that the Borgeson joint is so much cheaper than the OEM joint. Definitely the way I will go. sure wish the part number was available, I would order one right now.

Where are you guys getting the switches & cams for the column? I like to get all the parts together & kitted up before I start a project.

B.
I have just the cam repair kit if that's all you need. If you need the whole switch, I believe Van's has them but last time I looked they were in the $150 range.

I have just the cam repair kit if that's all you need. If you need the whole switch, I believe Van's has them but last time I looked they were in the $150 range.

I used set screws to hold my bearing.

This is a great writeup. Ill add that when my manual steering wheel is turned with the wheels off the ground, I have a slight wobble at the shaft where it enters the OEM coupler. I dont think this would be an issue with the fancy Borgson coupler or maybe even a rebuilt OEM coupler. Maybe my grease-box is shot or may have a tweaked input shaft on the box but I would definantly do this mod. Very nice.

-
Back