Steering column removal

-

AW1

Reaction score
My 66 barracuda has headers and the steering box is in the middle of them which is not making things easy. I have a manual shift column. I am trying to figure out how to remove the shaft from the steering box but cant determine how it is held on. When I am able to remove the shaft how do I get the column out with the shift levers on the column? I now have a manual floor shift so the column shift levers are not used anymore I appreciate your help

To remove from steering box, there is a roll pin that has to be removed. You can see where it goes in picture. the rest of the question, im not sure what you are asking.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 174
Thanks for your help That makes sense since I was looking to unbolt something to remove the shaft. To remove the column after removing the shaft I am guessing that after I unbolt it from inside the car it will just pull out. I was concerned that on the end of the column there are several levers for the shifting mechanism and having enough room for them to fit through the hole in the floor

Thanks for your help That makes sense since I was looking to unbolt something to remove the shaft. To remove the column after removing the shaft I am guessing that after I unbolt it from inside the car it will just pull out. I was concerned that on the end of the column there are several levers for the shifting mechanism and having enough room for them to fit through the hole in the floor

The factory put the column in there with the levers installed so it should come out after you remove the column to firewall boot. You should find a thin plate that attaches to the column and to the firewall. The thin plate covers the hole (in the firewall) so the lever can fit through. Two bolts under the dash and disconnect the wires then the column to firewall boot (metal collar).

treblig

Here you go...they call it a "floor plate".

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC05926.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC05927.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 142
Tim I finally got my steering shaft and column removed. When I removed the roll pin the shaft came out but the coupling stayed on the steering box. It is tight on the box. I don't see any set screws to remove. Is it on with just a press fit?

Yes take a large screw driver between the coupler and the box and pry them apart after the roll pin is all the way removed.

yes it should be tight

I cant seem to get off the coupling with a screwdriver or pry bar. It will slide down towards the gear box but will slide up only as far shown in the pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• DSCF7021.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF7022.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 97
Sometimes the roll pin will swedge a very small amount of metal as it comes through the hole in the shaft. You can't see it but there might be a burr inside the coupler where the roll pin pushed it's way out. If that's what's causing it to jam you might try working it back and forth (in and out) to slowing wear the burr down. Try tapping it in towards the gearbox then in one motion slam it back towards the fire wall. If there's a burr in there you'll eventually knock it off. Just make sure the roll pin is completely out!!

treblig

sometimes the roll pin will swedge a very small amount of metal as it comes through the hole in the shaft. You can't see it but there might be a burr inside the coupler where the roll pin pushed it's way out. If that's what's causing it to jam you might try working it back and forth (in and out) to slowing wear the burr down. Try tapping it in towards the gearbox then in one motion slam it back towards the fire wall. If there's a burr in there you'll eventually knock it off. Just make sure the roll pin is completely out!!

Treblig
x2^^^^

-
Back