Steering column wiring question

-

73dusterdude

Reaction score
I new to wiring entire cars so. To all you wiring gurus and or people have wired up your a body before i have a question. Im currently wiring a 74 duster and have a question regarding the steering column wiring. This photo shows the connection im working with. The top wire seems straight forward i would imagine i run this to the starter relay. And pin 5 and 6 are obviously easy to. Battery and ground but my question is where do i run the accessory, ignition 1 and ,ignition 2 wire? I would imagine one has to be my acc power. Any help is appreciated!

20201230_154814.jpg

I Think you will find accessory goes to fuse box.
Ignition 1 and 2 go to the spark ignition. One is hot only in switch start position, the other hot only in switch run position. This is so the coil gets full battery voltage in start and lowered voltage ( through a ballast resistor ) in run.
You may need to connect these 2 wires together depending on what ignition system you'll use.

Last edited:
One more note... Your drawing shows a ground wire and although all replacement switches will have a ground wire there, not every model has a ground wire on the cars harness side. Those with column shift automatic have a indicator lamp. The factory put the orange wire for that lamp in this position. So if you have a new switch and column shift automatic, just leave the ground wire on switch side where it is. Remove the orange wire from the car harness connector and make it up orange to orange with male/female spade terminals.

The bigger black one that is labeled accessory is the accessory power wire. Right next to the yellow starter wire.

I Think you will find accessory goes to fuse box.
Ignition 1 and 2 go to the spark ignition. One is hot only in switch start position, the other hot only in switch run position. This is so the coil gets full battery voltage in start and lowered voltage ( through a ballast resistor ) in run.
You may need to connect these 2 wires together depending on what ignition system you'll use.

One more note... Your drawing shows a ground wire and although all replacement switches will have a ground wire there, not every model has a ground wire on the cars harness side. Those with column shift automatic have a indicator lamp. The factory put the orange wire for that lamp in this position. So if you have a new switch and column shift automatic, just leave the ground wire on switch side where it is. Remove the orange wire from the car harness connector and make it up orange to orange with male/female spade terminals.

The bigger black one that is labeled accessory is the accessory power wire. Right next to the yellow starter wire.

So im using a kwik wiring harness to wire the car and i switched over to an hei dizzy. My kwik wiring harnesses has a ignition coil wire, ignition accessory and ignition power. From what im understanding my yellow pin one goes to starter. The black accessory wire would go to the fuse box( the ignition accessory wire in my harness) . and ignition 1 or 2 would go to a coil if i was running one and be on ONLY during cranking. And then the other ignition wire woud probably be another hot ignition source for the coil while key is in the running position? . and my ignition power wire in my harness probably goes to the battery pin. Thanks for the help on this guys!

Original coil would overheat if it got 12 volts at all times. Thats why Chrysler used 2 supply wires with a ballast resistor in one of them. e-coil can run on constant 12 volts. If your aftermarket wiring harness isn't built for Chrysler, with the hot in start and hot in run wires, the Chrysler ignition switch will not cooperate unless ignition 1 and 2 are tied together.

Original coil would overheat if it got 12 volts at all times. Thats why Chrysler used 2 supply wires with a ballast resistor in one of them. e-coil can run on constant 12 volts. If your aftermarket wiring harness isn't built for Chrysler, with the hot in start and hot in run wires, the Chrysler ignition switch will not cooperate unless ignition 1 and 2 are tied together.
So because my hei runs on constant 12v power im going to splice both ignition wires together to my ignition hot wire. On the harness. Trying to get this thing started tomorrow

HOW IT WORKS. Mopar is one of the few car brands that used a ballast resistor bypass in the ignition switch. Ford/ GM did this at the starter solenoid "I" (ignition) extra terminal

IGN1 is "ignition run." It feeds power to the ignition system and voltage regulator ONLY in the run position. It goes DEAD in "start"

IGN2 provides full power to the coil during start. It is hot in "start" same as the start wire but is a separate circuit.

If you have an HEI or other ignition with no ballast, yes, connect the two together

-
Back