Steering column wiring

-

bradford

Professional at nothing
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi y’all, I’m totally wiring my 70 duster and I’m wiring it with a painless wiring harness. It’s not been to bad so far but I really hate wiring. I have an assembly manual so I can check wiring diagrams because I did leave most of the original plugs on the car, like wiper motor, radio heater, stuff like that. I also left the wiring on the steering column. That is where I’m stuck at. As y’all may know there are two plugs coming out of the steering column, one is for the ignition switch and the other is for all the brake lights and turn signals and flashers. I’ve got the ignition wires ohm out. The red is the power coming in to the ignition and I get power coming out of all the wires from the ignition, but I don’t seem to be getting anything coming out of the other plug, the brakes and turn signal plug. I tried omhing the main red wire coming in and working the turn signal switch but I’m not getting anything. Is there another power source that comes in on the signal switch side that I’m missing in the diagram. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You need to go over to MyMopar.com and download the factory service manual, AND go over to the wiring section and download the aftermarket/ 3rd party wiring diagrams. They are NOT factory and often leave out details and options but can be easier to read.

Everything on that site is free and you do not need to register

Doesn't Painful give you a translation from their wires to the OEM Mopar connectors?

In the meantime, this is a screenshot out of the inst panel wiring of 70 Valiant of that manual

70PlyColumn.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve already got this wiring diagram in my assembly manual. I’ve got everything wired up but I’m just not getting power to the brakes and turn signals. I might have to check the turn switch in the column.

The brake light is a pre ignition circuit that came from the main harness. I don't know enough about the 70+ cars to know if this was part of the power going to the key, I doubt it as it was a fused circuit.

Likewise with the turn signals, this was a post ignition (key on) circuit that was fused.

Alan

I have replaced the turn signal connector with some modern pigtails because I was unable to source an original connector.
I have the terminals listed 1 through 8 on the connector. Here's what I have them labeled as and what they're connected to:
Terminal 1: Horn Ground - connected to painless wire 963 "horn switch"
Terminal 2: Left Turn - connected to painless wire 926 "left front turn signal"
Terminal 3: Right Turn - Connected to painless 925 "right front turn signal"
Terminal 4: Emergency Flasher - Connected to painless 951 "Hazard B+"
Terminal 5: Turn signal Flasher - Connected to painless 952 "Turn signal flasher B+"
Terminal 6: Left rear turn signal - connected to painless 949 "left rear turn signal"
Terminal 7: Right rear turn signal - connected to painless 948 "right rear turn signal"
Terminal 8: Brake switch - connected to painless 918 (brake switch). There were two 918 wires in this section, I connected both of them.

Recently completed my own painless install on my 1970 Dart. See above post with quotes and pictures. Hope it helps.

Mike

Think about what the TS switch is and does.

INPUTS: 1.. Always live brake switch power when pedal is pressed
2..Always on power from the hazard flasher
3...Key switched power from the turn flasher

OUTPUTS
1...Left rear brake/ turn lamp
2...Right rear brake/ turn lamp
3...Left front turn
4...Right front turn

As stated above, the brake lamps and hazard flashers, headlights, horn, etc,,, are all hot at all times. The ignition switch has nothing to do with those circuits.
The ignition switch does power a portion of the fuse box which includes those accessories such as wipers, turn signals, radio, etc.
So inside the fuse box are 2 buss bars with 2 separate power sources. Actually a 3rd single terminal section of buss bar is in there too. It gets its supply from the park lamp section of your headlight switch.

Recently completed my own painless install on my 1970 Dart. See above post with quotes and pictures. Hope it helps.

Mike
Thanks a lot! This should help me out. Thanks again

-
Back