Steering column

-

Ken Blackman

Blacks1971Duster
Reaction score
I'm converting my 1971 Duster from power steering to manual, I have removed the steering column and have it partially disassembed. need help getting the steering wheel locking plate off of the shaft.
See attached pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once the top section is removed from the column the pics below should be self explanatory. Pry the round collar off the lock plate and drive roll pin out.

Attachments

• lowersnapringimg.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 177
  • collarimg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 188
  • lockplateimg.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 165
There a tin sleeve covering a tapered pin though the center hub of that part. Pick the ring off and drive the pin out. While the wheel is centered the tapered pin goes out from right to left only ( tapered ).

Thanks the pictures are great, I will try this. It should be the last thing to do to change out the shaft to go to manual steering from power.

Thanks again

I converted mine with a steering coupler from a Jeep Cherokee. It fits the manual box but you have to grind a flat spot on the splines to match the Jeep coupler. I took the factory coupler off completely and cut the pin that holds it on the shaft & left the stub on the bottom. I will try to find pics.

-
Back