Steering coupler kicking my ***...

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to put the coupler housing over the shoes and clip seems impossible. I take the spring clip off and I can get the housing to slip on then. I'm compressing the shoes as far as they'll go, and just not working. Is it suppose to be that tight / hard..? I'm tempted to "tap" the housing with a mallet to see if that'll work, but going to wait for some advice from those who know.. These are the original parts...not replacements.
Thanks..!

20231002_174531.jpg

Last edited:
Quick search, viola
Cheers .

There are different coupler bodies depending on the year. Is yours one of the early versions that's more squared off? If so, the springs in the kits won't work with it.

Good luck, been there. One of the seemingly easiest goddamned things to do and I just about threw a slew of wrenches thru the windshield.

Make sure your putting the clip over the side and not over the end of the shaft. Hope that makes sense. Dont hit it with a hammer, it should slide in fairly easily.

There are different coupler bodies depending on the year. Is yours one of the early versions that's more squared off? If so, the springs in the kits won't work with it.
It's a 72 and the only thing I'm replacing is the top seal.

I may have figured it out.. The tiny hole for the tiny roll pin is ever so slightly "ridged" on the inside. I'm going to take a small file and see if I can level that ridge flush.
What does that tiny pin do anyway..?

If you go aftermarket you will have more room...

20231003_204642.jpg

The small pin is to keep the assembly from coming out if something went really wrong.

It looks really dry. I always lube them up. Some nice gooey, tacky grease might help.

Also, maybe try taking the shoes off and flipping them over. It looks like they maybe on wrong. Flat part towards shaft, curved part towards coupler. See this picture from a service bulletin.

Coupler Assy.jpg

Here's another picture I just found on FBBO. The drawing PY22 on which this is based shows a "less assembled" version of the above. Note the shape of the shoes and how they're oriented on the pin. I think yours may be assembled differently. I'm not sure, it's hard to see in your picture. For now, ignore the stuff about the master spline.
Coupler Assy_02.jpg

Last edited:
It looks really dry. I always lube them up. Some nice gooey, tacky grease might help.

Also, maybe try taking the shoes off and flipping them over. It looks like they maybe on wrong. Flat part towards shaft, curved part towards coupler. See this picture from a service bulletin.

View attachment 1716149892

Here's another picture I just found on FBBO. The drawing PY22 on which this is based shows a "less assembled" version of the above. Note the shape of the shoes and how they're oriented on the pin. I think yours may be assembled differently. I'm not sure, it's hard to see in your picture. For now, ignore the stuff about the master spline.
View attachment 1716149899

Screenshot_20231004_041739_InCollage - Collage Maker.jpg

Everything was lubed up nicely.. I wiped it all down when trying to figure out what the issue is.. and, the shoes are on correctly.. mine look just like the service manual pix and are installed just how they came out....(my before and after pic)...unless I'm missing something, which is always completely possible..lol

Don't force it. I tried and ripped the silicone gasket. I think the lock tabs on my early-A box are thicker so the new cover doesn't latch. I re-used the old cover, which has slightly longer fingers to reach. But yours appears to have thinner tabs.

-
Back