steering coupler removal????? how ya do it??

-

65cudasteve

Reaction score
alright guys i just wanted to say thanks for the patience with me and for all my questions..if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt be seeing a new k frame in my cuda. only thing i need is the steering coupler and shocks how i get them out?

Shocks just unbolt 1 from inside the engine bay on top of the inner fenders. The other is down on the lower control arm. Unbolt both then compress the shock and pull it out. When you say steering coupler are you talking about where the steering column meets the steering box?

If it is...simply drive out the roll pin in the coupler...the column and coupler should pull off the box spline. Note..they are master splined when you go back together. You might have to use a pry bar to get the coupler off.....

yes there is a thing that i can put the steering coloumn in and thats connected to the steering box. i need that thing off lol

showandgoresto the column is out of the coupler...the coupler never came with the column so i need the coupler on the new steeringbox the roll pin is not in it and your saying just pry it off correct?

If the roll pin is out already you may have to use two big screwdrivers or prybar to pry the coupler off the steering box...sometimes they are tight.
I don't know what you are trying to do but manual steering box couplers are different size spline than a power steering box...IF you are changing...need a matching coupler.

ive changed k frames its from the same year cuda as mine (65) and everything is the same

If it is a 65, make sure you get the correct coupler for the "shoes" you have, There are pure rectangle ones and rounded rectangular ones. The shoes dont interchange.

There may be another pin that goes in to the coupler. It keeps it on the chaft in case any thing goes wrong so the guts don't fall out on the ground. You may need to get up in there and push it from the inside of the coupler out.

-
Back