Steering Slop

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart with 74 front disc brakes. I've always had slop in the steering, so changed the power steering gearbox. That didnt fix anything so I installed a manual box. Still same slop. All ball joints, tie rods have been replaced. The only thing I haven't touched is the drag link. Anyone ever had to replace a drag link for being worn causing excessive movement in the steering system?

The centerlink may be fine but I'll bet your idler is shot. Quick way to check: With car off and someone trying to turn the wheel left and right, watch the idler. If if does anything other than a clean pivot left and right (ie: up and down), it's worn and will contribute to a sloppy wheel. The pitman would be the only think left to check.

I have a 73 Swinger. When I bought it there were no bushings on the PS upper control arms, no power steering fluid in the reservoir, shocks were no damn good - front and rear. In fact to compensate for no shocks they turned up the torsion bars all the way.
Now I rebuilt the front end - rubber bushings, filled the reservoir with Royal Purple fluid, KYB shocks, reset the front susp ht to stock, replaced the pitman and idler arms, new sneakers, slotted/cross drilled rotors, new calipers, and alignment. Steering is a little sloppy yet, I'm adjusting the steering box and it's getting better, about a half turn at a shot.

Are we to assume that you've rebuilt or replaced the steering coupler? That's usually the first item to wear and cause slop on Mopars. I've seen the idler arm issue, too

For piece of mind...put a wrench on EVERYTHING on the front suspension.

I also replaced all bushings, pitman arm, added v-8 drop link and got everything aligned and it was awesome. After a month of daily driving it started getting a little sloppy. Some said that it was normal for everything. Maybe it was just my gear box. I went back to the alignment shop and they did the alignment but at the end they said that my idler arm was loose.

Sure enough, it was loose. The taper was such that it was sucked up so far that the castle nut actually too low to engage the cotter pin. Used a hardened washer as a spacer and now it is working as designed.

Can't be too cautious with suspension stuff. Good luck!

Are we to assume that you've rebuilt or replaced the steering coupler? That's usually the first item to wear and cause slop on Mopars. I've seen the idler arm issue, too

Not sure if this question was directed to my reply, but mine was in good shape, I just cleaned it and packed it with new grease.

-
Back