Steering / Suspension Noise

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I've noticed a bit of front end creaking noise ever since the motor and trans were put back in. It kinda sounds like metal fatigue noise. Hard to explain but similar to the hood opening and closing.

It does this occasionally when turning the wheel and I can kind of feel it on the floor (almost like a slight creak / pop sound). It has also done it when coming to a stop going straight. It just creaks here and there and I can feel it.

None of the steering or suspension was disconnected ever but the car was on the lift for a while with the suspension flexed down. The very top rubber one on the drivers side near the wheel looked like it wasn't connected all the way with the car in the air. Is this supposed to be sealed with grease?

The shop said some of the parts looked good or replaced recently. Here are some pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3246.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3248.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3251.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3254.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 211
Strut rod bushings and upper and lower arm bushings went to places they haven't been during normal use. To jack one up long enough to change a tire usually doesn't harm even very old parts. Leave them under a new and different load position for a long time can accelerate their failure. Especially true with rubber parts that aren't completely captured, i.e. strut rodd bushings, shock mount bushings, sway bar bushings.

But I knew what it was when I first heard it.
The creaking and poping is usually the ball joints on the A arms are dry inside.
Grease the uppers and lowers shown in the pic and I'll bet it stops doing it.

Attachments

• BallJoints.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 239
Also looks like your almost sitting on your lower bump stop,you need to raise her a tad,I bet that's the noise.

Here is a picture of the upper arm bushing while the driver side was lifted a little on the jack.

I didn't even try to fill it, it looks all ripped up.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 170
you can start doing it in pieces, or all at once, but i would plan on rebuilding the whole front end. doesn't sound like you know what was done previously and it wouldn't hurt to start fresh. also, like snake said, your riding a little low. you can get shorter bump stops if your going to keep it like that, but on a daily driver, it's amazing how good the T-bar suspension is going down the road if your not hittin' the stops all the time :)

Thanks everyone. From looking at the photos, what should be replaced first?

Are these difficult to do with basic tools or do I need anything special?

Does the upper ball joint (pic in my last post) look like it just needs a new boot or the whole piece?

Does the upper ball joint (pic in my last post) look like it just needs a new boot or the whole piece?

Replace the upper B joint,moisture has already set in as well as dirt.

I would replace at the very least the ball joints...they are easy enough...any competent shop can remove and install them for cheap...unless you have the socket for the uppers...lowers are easy...but back off torsion bars if you do the lowers...the lower control arm bushings can be a pain...but doable...here is an article on doing the lowers.. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/photo_01.html ..I just did mine and it only took a few hours to replace lowers.

Thanks for the info and article. No wonder the previous owner left these in the car lol.

Attachments

• part.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 142
I just replaced the front suspension in my 65dart and u will have fun with the upper control arm bushings. But do it all at once if u can afford to then u only need 1 Alignment

Yeah, I agree with all that has been said. Do it all at one time. You have a 40 year old piece of machinery and there is no telling how long the grease boots have been in that condition. It would also be a good time to upgrade some of the components, as discussed in numeroud threads here. You will be amazed at the increased handling of the car with the improvements.

-
Back