Steering wheel repair started, wish me luck

-
Yes, the pro's charge big bucks but they are done right and WILL NEVER CRACK, better than the originals. I spoke to Doug Lepak numerous times and discussed his process for restoring wood wheels. His work is impecable and a great guy to deal with. BTW, he just doesn't fill in the cracks like the OP is doing. Very time consuming, hence the high $$$.
His web site http://www.stwheelz.com/gallery.html

Yes, the pro's charge big bucks but they are done right and WILL NEVER CRACK, better than the originals. I spoke to Doug Lepak numerous times and discussed his process for restoring wood wheels. His work is impecable and a great guy to deal with. BTW, he just doesn't fill in the cracks like the OP is doing. Very time consuming, hence the high $$$.
His web site http://www.stwheelz.com/gallery.html

Yah, I am hoping to be able to send him mine Evantually...

Savng yourself a pile of $$$, I got a quote from the steering wheel guy at in Sask. quoted me $700 for my Woodgrain.
Id love to get mine done by a pro.........$$$$$ I dont have and that money being saved is going towards getting my Dart done. Hopefully someday i will be able too. I still need to find a horn button. Hopefully used to save a few more bucks. Thanks everyone.........:cheers:

Doug quoted me 8 hundy and change so I did it myself.

The rim was so brittle and cracked plus severely bent, I removed all of the material down to the steep rod, had the spokes powder coated, and began the process of multiple layers of glass and good marine epoxy, lots o sanding and cutting in 48 recessed areas on the back side for the grips. Good winter project. Had so much fun doin the 1st one, bought another one and it's getting powder coated as I type.

Attachments

• woody.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Rim 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Steering Wheel Resto_002.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN2957.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 356
Doug quoted me 8 hundy and change so I did it myself.

The rim was so brittle and cracked plus severely bent, I removed all of the material down to the steep rod, had the spokes powder coated, and began the process of multiple layers of glass and good marine epoxy, lots o sanding and cutting in 48 recessed areas on the back side for the grips. Good winter project. Had so much fun doin the 1st one, bought another one and it's getting powder coated as I type.
:prayer:Wow..that looks amazing. hell if mine turns out 1/2 as nice as that id be happy.........BTW this is what im going to use as a final coat.......I know from experience this stuff works great. It will seal up everything including some real small cracks.3 winters on my Ram and still no wear.Its tough and if you want you can paint over it.

View attachment HPIM1578 (640x480).jpg

Epoxy primer you will need a spray gun but you can use SEM spray can high build spray can primer. Good stuff and will improve the finish tromendously over cheap can primer.

I repaired an old tractor wheel like this and it still looks great after 8 years, an old Johnny popper John Deere......
Looks great Ed and I agree that is a very nice wheel you are saving, Take care and don't sit very long at one time Ed, walk it out and set back down
every 15 minutes bud, I hope you will recover from this soon, keeping your mind busy does help, but be careful and take your time.... Look outstanding to me :cheers:

:prayer:Wow..that looks amazing. hell if mine turns out 1/2 as nice as that id be happy.........BTW this is what im going to use as a final coat.......I know from experience this stuff works great. It will seal up everything including some real small cracks.3 winters on my Ram and still no wear.Its tough and if you want you can paint over it.

So how are you going to apply the Plasti-Dip? What about the s/s inner and outer rings?

Oh, thanks for the comments on my wheel.

Well i got a couple coats on and it looks alright. Lots of small cracks on the underside that were a pain.. Its not perfect but good for me at this time. Hope to get it done professionaly someday. The pics turned out ok, definately better than before.

Attachments

• HPIM1558 (640x480).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 294
  • HPIM1560 (640x480).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 275
  • HPIM1580 (640x480).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 291
  • HPIM1581 (640x480).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 292
Nice job, I got a quote one one too. it was over $700. I ended up using a Grant wheel on my 65. I still have my old wheel, maybe I'll send it to ya:D

Thanks guys,,,,,,,,,was having a couple good,well not bad days until today. Bad sciatica,,,,,thats why im on and off. I just got a call from the kids school. canceling the day now because of a freezing rain chance??????????? man never had them in my days:banghead:

I think? he is referring to the stainless steel band that separate the inner grip sections from the spoke of the wheel.

I went back a bit and looked at some other pics his as well. The wheel never came with them. If you look at my pics were the seperation of the wheel is........You will see no S/S bands.

Nice job, I got a quote one one too. it was over $700. I ended up using a Grant wheel on my 65. I still have my old wheel, maybe I'll send it to ya:D
LOL............Im far from being even a apprentice on this stuff. But unfortunately i do have the time:violent1:

-
Back