Stepdaughter learning how to drive a 4 speed

-
I have a bit of a dilemma that my youngest daughter wishes to learn manual trans. I have an '03 Ford Cobra 6 speed. A '07 Ram 3500 dually diesel 6 speed. And my '69 GTX 4-speed.

Ram truck is the answer. You may be afraid but it will also teach respect for large vehicles.

I recently bought this to teach my daughter how to drive a stick.
6620086F-FD27-4238-957B-3459A653DAD3.jpeg

Ram truck is the answer. You may be afraid but it will also teach respect for large vehicles.
She actually likes the truck. Of my 4 kids (2 boys 2 girls) she has the most interests in vehicles. The youngest. Smallest by stature. But certainly the most fearless. Even as little kids. If one was on the roof of the house? It was most likely her.

Below are the 3 candidates.

695386-d4cf778b1080a0e7d9ac90c5f1a22562.jpg

30712.jpg

images (4).jpeg

Option 4 could be a rental, that way you don`t have to worry about her burning the clutch out on your stuff:)
These days a standard in a rental may be hard to find.

Option 4 could be a rental, that way you don`t have to worry about her burning the clutch out on your stuff:)
These days a standard in a rental may be hard to find.
They are getting rare. In fact, insurance companies have considered lower premiums to manual transmissions because they are targeted less for theft. Today's youth doesn't know how to operate. Lol. (I'm sure that won't happen unless there is a sales reason. But if a company came out and said "10% premium reduction for manual transmission vehicles?" I would certainly consider. Of my 4 street vehicles. 3 are manual.

My wife said when she learned to drive a stick, the best way was barefoot because "She could feel the clutch".
She refuses to own an automatic to this day.

My wife said when she learned to drive a stick, the best way was barefoot because "She could feel the clutch".
She refuses to own an automatic to this day.
I can understand that, between the vibration through the shifter handle and what you feel under your foot, really brings you in with what the engine is doing. Plus high heel shoes and clutch pedals don't mix, just take them off.

When I had a stick on a hill. I would heal toe the brake and gas pedal.

Then ease on the clutch till I felt the engine start to pull, then add some gas and when the van could start to hold its own let off the brake.

Also a cheat is to use the parking brake and then clutch and gas till it was pulling on the brake and release the parking brake.

Another thing I would do on a hill, is if there were cars behind me I would almost stop well behind the car in front of me, then after the car behind stopped I would creep forward to have a few extra feet, and come to a full stop.

-
Back