sticky lifter

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
have a small ticking noise on right side.360 engine. stock. engine was too hot to check exhaust gasket. May be a sticky lifter, may be an exhaust leak. If it turns out to be a sticky lifter as this engine was a used one when I put it in last year, has anyone used anything like sea foam or Lucas, or ATF in he engine to stop this. I have heard a lot of stories and really don't want to pull intake unless I have to so thought I would try this first. It seems like it comes and goes and sometimes louder than others. Thanks

Is it a 318?? my mom had a 318 in her 1970 Dodge Polara and my father used CD2 had to put it in after every oil change but the lifters would not tick after that. I use it in my Kohler engine in my rider, it has hydraulic valves and it ticks unless I put it in as well. they make 2 kinds of CD2 you need the upper cylinder lubricant, they also make one for oil burning, but Sea foam might work the same, never tried it.

CD2OilDetergent.jpg

Marvelous Mystery Oil works but don't pour anything in 'till you know for sure its internal. The heat riser flap is in right manifold and notorious for intermittent tick noise that side.

First I try to find the noise with a stethescope. If it is a lifter I can almost always tell which one. Then I take the cover off, loosen the rocker or shaft as need be. I take a pushrod that is drilled for oil or just use the original. Holding it just off the lifter I spray a little brake clean down it, then gently press the pushrod down a hair. Then repeat. Pop the cover on and run it right away. I've never used carb cleaner but I guess it could work. Noise always goes away.

Redfish, I don't have heat risers on this manifold. I heard about the MMO. I am going to check and make sure it isn't an exhaust leak and I guess try MMO. From what most people say, that works best. If that don't work, I will get a stethoscope and try that. thanks guys.

A trans funnel or just a length of tubing will serve for listening.

A trans funnel or just a length of tubing will serve for listening.

X2.... used a piece of heater hose I had laying around many times.... works great. just clean the end you stick up to your ear! LOL....

found the problem. Took the Dart out for a spin down to the parts house and let Tyler drive . You have a completely different perspective when you ride in the pass. side when you have a problem. I noticed upon exceleration the noise. when he let out of it the noise quited down to where you could not hardly hear it. I knew then what it was. Pulled the exhaust manifolds off and found the gasket was blown. Somehow we put the wrong gaskets on that side. will have this taken care of this weekend along with switching the carbs and putting the new a/c heater control unit in the dash. Thanks guys for all the help.

NIce diagnostics there. (quieter when let off)
Old school was always ATF for sticky lifters, as mentioned.
It has a high detergent level and cleans well.

Yup. QT of trans fluid

A length of something like fuel hose is perfect for listening. You will not mistake the sound because the exhaust leak will blow loudly in your ear. Sometimes you need to get under the car to get to "underneath" stuff. Sometimes a bent "U" piece of metal tube helps get to hard to reach places.

Stick the hose or a piece of tubing down in the oil filler or PCV hole in the valve covers to listen inside.

Sometimes for VERY short time (when the engine is cold) remove the fan belt to quiet things down and make it safer to probe around "in there"

how long do you run the tranny fluid in it before you change the oil. I have a very small ticking when it first starts up and maybe lasts for a couple of minutes and then quits. very faint. I know its lifters. I think I am going to just go ahead and run the tranny fluid through it and see. Isnt going to hurt so why not. maybe 100 miles or so. This engine had 43000 miles on it when I bought it a year ago. It had been sitting for several years. I tore it all down and put rod and main bearings, honed the cylinders and put new rings in it. Doesn't smoke, use oil and I should have replaced the lifters but I didn't. So I am thinking maybe there is a little build up on the inside of them causing this. Do yo think 100 miles will do it.Thanks,Bill

...........Put the atf in and run it as long as u want..............my 340s always got 1 litre atf and 4 litres 10W30 oil every 1000 miles............kim.......

Both my 340 (new engines) have lifer noise on start-up...but goes away as I pull outta garage...my dad bought a 91 Dodge Cargo van new and that damn thing had lifer noise on start-up since new....must be a common MoPar thing

Marvel Mystery Oil. Let it idle for 10 mins. It will go away if it is a sticky lifter. Run the car 100 miles with 1/2 quart M.M.O., then change the oil. Monitor the cleanliness of the oil every 100 miles after the oil change. As soon as the oil changes color, repeat the 1/2 quart, 100 mile procedure. Keep monitoring the oil color, it will darken with more miles between oil changes, typically 500 or so. Its a longer term cleaning process that works.

Marvelous Mystery Oil works but don't pour anything in 'till you know for sure its internal. The heat riser flap is in right manifold and notorious for intermittent tick noise that side.

X2 , love that stuff put it in my vehicles every fill up! Iv'e been told it's basically the same as Lucas, just alot cheaper, good stuff.

I use seafoam to clean, and lucas zinc additive as well the bottle is #10036. Since I did that, I have no lifter noise, even at -10 below. Just my experience.

its got to be internal. The flap has been removed on these manifolds. I put a quart of ATF in it the other day and going to run it till the next oil change and see what that does. Thanks

Is this a roller or flat tappet? If it's a hydraulic roller engine, there's a right way and wrong way for the lifters to install. The bleed holes must be positioned toward the center of the engine, not toward the outside.

-
Back