Still blowing air

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have dealt with this but it to hot now. I have a 73 duster Heat/Ac car but the A/c had been taken off. When you turn the heater off and the blower motor off it is fine it’s off. But once you get up to speed around 30mph+ the heat starts to blow. So what can I go to stop this?

Do you have the under dash vents open?
This lets fresh air into the car.

nothing you can do unless you can modify the cowl intake port.
there is nothing that "blocks" the air flow when the system is off.
i actually had to tape cardboard to the cowl of my 66 charger to reduce air flow in the winter so i had decent heat.

nothing you can do unless you can modify the cowl intake port.
there is nothing that "blocks" the air flow when the system is off.
i actually had to tape cardboard to the cowl of my 66 charger to reduce air flow in the winter so i had decent heat.

Even if I flip it to vent it blows hot air

hrrrmmm
forgot you started with an a/c setup
might have to look into the case a little bit
maybe a door isn't moving correctly and letting air still flow over the htr core

You need to get out your shop manual (you DO have one?) and study how the controls work

You can download a 72 manual here, but I DON'T KNOW if anything changed for '73

Page 24-50

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Offhand, I'd say you have

a bad vacuum control

leaking/ disconnected/ mis-connected vacuum hoses

a bad panel control switch

something AFU in the airbox doors

One thing you can do for a temp fix is bypass the heater core, or put a hand operated valve inline with one hose

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 149
I have a manual hose cutoff in the hose going in the firewall/heater core. I keep is closed 95% of the time. It only blows air around 30+ mph.

I agree with 67Dart273. Sounds like you have a blend door that is broken/disconnected or otherwise not working properly. The quickest and easiest repair is to install a manual valve into the heater inlet line and shut off the hot water flow to the heater core. To repair it properly you will need to find the issue with the blend door. I am not sure if it is mechanical (cable) or Vacuum operated.
~Michael

Does your car have vents like this.
These are off my non-ac 73.

1000874l.jpg

I agree with 67Dart273. Sounds like you have a blend door that is broken/disconnected or otherwise not working properly. The quickest and easiest repair is to install a manual valve into the heater inlet line and shut off the hot water flow to the heater core. To repair it properly you will need to find the issue with the blend door. I am not sure if it is mechanical (cable) or Vacuum operated.
~Michael

I have a cutoff in the line but it still blows

everything about the plenum and controls changed between 72 and 73. You'll need a 73 manual to determine if its a vacuum operated door problem.

I have a manual for 73 I have to find what door is thats not closing

That, I think, will be your key to an answer

IF your manual is on CD, consider getting ahold of AbodyJoe and posting it on the download thread.

open the passenger side vent door and stuff a big rag in there!!!

-
Back