stock 5.9 gives big performance surprise

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
I posted this in the racers forum as well for the guys who may not visit this page very often. so, if you have read it there then I apologize.

short run down. friends son had a duster bracket car with a 7.00 360 in it. he hurt the motor, and they were looking for a stock motor just to keep him racing until they rebuild.

I had a junkyard magnum from a 94 truck with 121,000 miles on it. told him I would lone it to him until they got the other engine rebuilt. never heard it run but it was supposed to be a good running engine.

he took it home and looked at the bearings. he said they looked great and the cylinders were not worn. the engine was very clean with no sludge. he put a melling timing chain and oil pump in it for insurance.

now, the only mods he did was ordered this intake http://assaultracing.com/?wpsc-produ...ntake-manifold

and put his headers on it from the old engine. used a holley carb, and I didn't ask what size.

just intake, headers, and carb. everything else was bone stock. he used a stock stall converter not a hi performance deal.

car went low 8.20's in the eigth mile with the secondaries on the carb unhooked. it would stumble in the pits if he stopmed it to make the seconderies open. with little time to work on it before practice, his dad just unhooked them and run it on the 2 barrell.

I think the car has a 4.30 gear in it, but it still has the back seat plus a cage in it.

I thought that was pretty damn good for a stock production truck motor. it even picked up the left front tire about 2 inches. it would leave hard as hell for the first 15 feet then nose over and start climbing in speed little by little. thats that low rpm torque cam that was meant for the trucks I guess.

they plan to put their e85 carb on it and go to test and tune this thursday. a high 7 second pass would not surprise me by doing that.
thought you guys may find that interesting.

that intake is a very nice looking piece. it had the dual pattern for magnum or la heads. anybody ever had one of those before. $160 is pretty cheap, but the quality looked good.

One of our members posted this intake from an E-bay store front. Very inexpensive! Glad to hear it work well on a box stock Magnum. I didn't know about these intakes and purchased a RPM. It is also going on a otherwise similar build. It will be used in a '79 Magnum as a cruiser, 727 & 3.55's. Hooker Super Comps into a 2-1/2 exhaust and a 650 AVS/Edelbrock.
I'll do a cam and heads next year.

That is very interesting since I'm coming up on making a decision on a semi stock 360/5.9 swap.
My Brother tried to give me a Dodge Ram truck with the 5.9 mag (running driving 4x4) but I told him I couldn't bring myself to basically ruin a 4x4 truck just for the engine.
I can get a pick and pull 5.9 mag for 300 bucks so I'll just go that way.

But anyway, that's nice to know.
Thanks

There a mutha to pull out. Trade the junkyard the truck and maybe $$$ for a engine in hand.

That just proves it's all in the car. Must be set up real good.

I'd love to see what it would do with 2.02" intake valves & a good valve job.

There a mutha to pull out. Trade the junkyard the truck and maybe $$$ for a engine in hand.

Why is that? just a v8 that needs to be removed right?
2 hours to remove out there in the junk yard is what it looks like to me. (more because I want to spin it and do a compression test before I bother)

They would actally have to give me $1,800 AND the motor for the truck.
I couldn't take it apart for only the motor, because it's a fairly nice 4x4 truck with nothing at all wrong with it.
My Brother tried to give it to me because he is buying a new Honda Interstate and riding off to have a life after our Mother and Father passed.

He was the one person in the family who didn't have other commitments and was able to give up having a life to tend to them during thier last years.
Couldn't work, couldn't go anywhere, no social life, because he was thier "live in" constant care.
Short version is that he doesn't need it any more, so he offered it for sacrifice to the my Dart.

just read cam specs on a dodge truck forum for the 5.9
.410 .410 and 197 204 @.50...

That just proves it's all in the car. Must be set up real good.

it really isn't anything special. its a 90/10 shock in the front with what I believe is a set of long truck shocks in the rear with super stock springs. not even mini tubbed or anything. the kid wont let his dad cut it because he was driving it on the street before hopping the 360 up to a 7 second flat deal.

Why is that? just a v8 that needs to be removed right?
2 hours to remove out there in the junk yard is what it looks like to me. (more because I want to spin it and do a compression test before I bother)

They would actally have to give me $1,800 AND the motor for the truck.
I couldn't take it apart for only the motor, because it's a fairly nice 4x4 truck with nothing at all wrong with it.
My Brother tried to give it to me because he is buying a new Honda Interstate and riding off to have a life after our Mother and Father passed.

He was the one person in the family who didn't have other commitments and was able to give up having a life to tend to them during thier last years.
Couldn't work, couldn't go anywhere, no social life, because he was thier "live in" constant care.
Short version is that he doesn't need it any more, so he offered it for sacrifice to the my Dart.

The shot at freedom and to rediscover himself because he's had too be a care giver to his own parents,,bravo to him :cheers:

Trail beast, I just removed a 5.9 from a Durango. I never removed a engine from a 4X4 before. I also tries to reuse the fuel injection. I said screw it!
Just the engine was take. For my Magnum.

Trail beast, I just removed a 5.9 from a Durango. I never removed a engine from a 4X4 before. I also tries to reuse the fuel injection. I said screw it!
Just the engine was take. For my Magnum.

I'm probably just going to yank the block and use as much LA stuff as I can, stick one of those dual pattern intakes on with my Edlebrock carb.

So yea, RIP. :)

it really isn't anything special. its a 90/10 shock in the front with what I believe is a set of long truck shocks in the rear with super stock springs. not even mini tubbed or anything. the kid wont let his dad cut it because he was driving it on the street before hopping the 360 up to a 7 second flat deal.

Ain't gotta be special to work good. Sounds like it's workin good too.

-
Back