stock to aluminum heads

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I now have 596heads 1.88-1.60 with light port work by me. They were put together at the machine shop - under cut for Crower double Springs ttitanium retainers an made to support my solid lifter 550 lift cam using 273 rockers.
Soooo, I'd like to buy Edelbrock 601719's (I'm .010 above deck) and some crane or some quality rockers.
I would have to use this stuff out of the box, as the winter budget is tight.
Would I really see a major bang for my buck over just putting 2.02 intake valves instead in the heads that I have ?
11.7 et now
justs 2.02 in heads that i have?
Aluminum heads and roller rockers ?
Thank you

i should ad it's a 410 stroker scat crank and scat I-beams icon flat tops

The aluminum will pay you back 2 fold. The weight savings plus the bigger valves.

Thank you for the above ^^^ mentioned. I was wondering what kind of bang for my buck ?
It's about $400 to put the 2.02's in the heads that I have, and 2k for the edelbrocks.
How much is the extra $1600 going to take off my et ?

If you aren't going to change the pistons you might not see much of a benefit. Aluminum is so conductive that you really need to increase the compression ratio 1 to 2 points when switching from iron to aluminum heads.

Also, although these heads are considered ready to bolt on, they often aren't and need some work. They should be disassembled inspected and reassembled. In addition they may need a bit of bowl work to see their true potential.

Regards,
Joe Dokes

I agree about once going aluminum you'll not want to go back, BUT no aluminum head is ready out of the box. So you need to be prepared for that.

I'm going to say some aren't. Mine turned out to be ok out of the box and have been on there for quite a long time.

If you aren't going to change the pistons you might not see much of a benefit. Aluminum is so conductive that you really need to increase the compression ratio 1 to 2 points when switching from iron to aluminum heads

Regards,
Joe Dokes

You need to read everything first before you reply.

Need to know what compression you have.
It will make a difference.

It would help more if we knew the displacement and what would really help A LOT is the urgent head flow of the iron heads.
How much the heads will take off the et. Is an answer that can not be given due to the MAD lack of information.

I would not recommend use straight out of the box, too much of a crap shoot. Just because you are going to aluminum doesn't mean you HAVE to change your rocker gear, your 273 stuff is ok, money not spent there, can go to the heads. A careful check, and assembly with a good valve job on otherwise OOTB could net you about a half a second on your combination; a fully prepped set would put you well into the 10's.

You don't HAVE to go to open chamber Eddy's.....you said you are .010 out, I'm running .008 out on my 360 with closed chamber, just a careful gasket pick.

you will gain some with the head change, but I see a larger cam in the future for any real gains.

More information : 596heads 1.88-1.60 with a light home porting - from my research 596heads have 68cc - 72cc combustion chambers actual size of mine are unknown. The flat top icon pistons with valve reliefs I believe are rated 11.1:1 with 70cc heads. (I also believe that to be at zero deck)
It's I guess my personal preference to have an open chamber head to swallow the piston than using a thick head gasket and rase the entire deck and cause possible fitment problems with the intake.
i guess it's really starting to boil down to will stock edelbrock 601719 heads ( besides weight) out flow relatively stock 596heads with the same valves ? $1600 worth?

you will gain some with the head change, but I see a larger cam in the future for any real gains.

You bring up a good point and I was thinking about 1.6 :1 rockers. Option #1 seeing if my current springs will support .600 lift. The edelbrocks will only support .575

you will probably gain the 3-5 mph you need to reach 10.7 et with a good hook.

in an older motor i had it had a set of home ported 2.02 j heads and air gap intake, ran 12.10 s , switched to a set of stage one eddies and a victor 340 , everything else stayed the same and it slowed down 4 tenths in the quarter, i know you say no way, but dont shoot the messenger, there is a lot more than people think to the compression thing with head switch, after it slowed down a called hughes engines and they said they were picky about who they sold there stage ones to because a decent set of factory heads with port work would out perform the eddies, and it was a solid camed motor to, just my personnel experience with that set up:D

I agree about once going aluminum you'll not want to go back, BUT no aluminum head is ready out of the box. So you need to be prepared for that.
Translation: once I've spent all my money, I'll have to spend more ! :banghead:
Good grief . ...

When 11.40s with OOTB eddy heads...with 10.4 to 1 compression....

Car now goes 10.60s with CNC eddy heads with 10.4 to 1 compression...engine is barely broken in..should get faster...

yea sucks having to spend more money after the purchase but running them out of the box is not a good idea

in an older motor i had it had a set of home ported 2.02 j heads and air gap intake, ran 12.10 s , switched to a set of stage one eddies and a victor 340 , everything else stayed the same and it slowed down 4 tenths in the quarter, i know you say no way, but dont shoot the messenger, there is a lot more than people think to the compression thing with head switch, after it slowed down a called hughes engines and they said they were picky about who they sold there stage ones to because a decent set of factory heads with port work would out perform the eddies, and it was a solid camed motor to, just my personnel experience with that set up:D

this can happen. if it were my money I would do a cam swap . you are doing alot of improvements on the car as it is. your mph is good for mid to low 11's now.
wouldn't be the 1st time a cam change was good for a couple tenths.

this can happen. if it were my money I would do a cam swap . you are doing alot of improvements on the car as it is. your mph is good for mid to low 11's now.
wouldn't be the 1st time a cam change was good for a couple tenths.

I checked my cam spec's now: 546-566 without the .026-.028 lash with the 1.5 :1 273 rockers
if I go to 1.6 :1 rockers spec's say 582-603
I leaning towards that with 2.02's

Translation: once I've spent all my money, I'll have to spend more ! :banghead:
Good grief . ...

To quote the old adage: "Speed cost money; How fast do you want to go?"

So there it is Jason; how fast do you want to go? Are you willing to do what it takes?

Since you started this build, engine and car, and then posting of track results, you have been given A LOT of good information, a little you have used and a lot you have ignored. It had been mentioned that your iron heads would be a choke point, and now you are coming around to that realization. 2.02 valves and 1.6 rockers may help, but they are not the "fix", they will be a band-aid. 410 cubes want air flow, especially when you keep the tac closer to the red line than idle.

One other thing, ET reduction isn't always tied to more horse power, the chassis has to be able to manage the hp put into it.

Trap MPH tells you hp you are making, ET tells you how well you are using it.

These might be a better choice for you, not mine, add from moparts.

Small block Edelbrock heads
Ported by IMM engines

Comp Tool Steel retainers - 150 runs
Comp Valve springs for flat tappet - 150 runs on them
Brand new Manley Severe Duty valves 2.02/1.60
16 Brand new valve guides
Brand new valve job and clean up this week, I have the receipt if you'd like to see it.

1 chamber has been repaired, it is in the picture below on the right.

Looking for $1800 OBO, these are fresh ready to bolt on and have way better parts than Edelbrock supplies OOTB.

PM me here
Email [email protected]
Text 425-Seven8five-367four

I checked my cam spec's now: 546-566 without the .026-.028 lash with the 1.5 :1 273 rockers
if I go to 1.6 :1 rockers spec's say 582-603
I leaning towards that with 2.02's

I'd be surprised if your 273 rockers are 1.5, probably less if you check them.

Given the cam and the existing performance I'd say if you don;t have "all the money" to properly convert - then have the 2.02s put in with a good 5 angle valve job. The cam you have is not maxing the heads you have. So the RPM port will help, but only to a point. IMO - not enough gain from the weight loss and the minor low lift flow to be worth risking the entire pacakge on the heads having an unforeseen problem out of the box. I'll always run aluminum if I can, but if you only have $1600, IMO you don't have enough to run them. Spend on bigger valves and som porting on what you have and pocket the rest until you have $2800-3k for heads, correcting them, and rockers.

-
Back