Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I always understood that was one reason much of New England used sand and gravel, not salt. And that was true in parts of NJ too, even when I was still living there.
But I don't know if that wsa the real reason or not.
That is THE reason the Northern most states use sand and gravel. Salt simply doesn’t do anything at those temps. At least the sand and gravel can improve traction.

I always understood that was one reason much of New England used sand and gravel, not salt. And that was true in parts of NJ too, even when I was still living there.
But I don't know if that wsa the real reason or not.

Sand was used back home, up near Lake Superior. Too cold in winter and way less traffic than here..

Even that won’t work. There is no molar concentration high enough to work at those temps. It will have to melt the ice and have the water sublimate before it all refreezes.
Bet we'll see examples of it - at least around here. Just because it wont work won't stop people from hoping it will... sigh.

Bet we'll see examples of it - at least around here. Just because it wont work won't stop people from hoping it will... sigh.
No doubt. The thing is that when temps rise above 16* on Monday and it starts working again, they will all believe it was working all along. :BangHead:

Too cold in winter and way less traffic than here..
That also has to help in keeping the snow from turning to ice when compressed by the tires.
And maybe also it helps that every tire is real snow tire with treads that lift and throws a fair portion of the snow keeping it broken up.

Of course, the people in SUVs will all still be flying down the roads believing that their AWD is a magic shield against physical reality.

Now is also the time when we find out who’s antifreeze no longer works at these temps because they forgot to get it replaced when it was due.

Back during the Winter of the Polar Vortex, I saw more than a few radiators explode while people were driving down the interstate.

Speaking of melting, here's a little experiment with plastic to repair a bulkhead connector.
Acetone had no effect. Crazyglue had some bonding but no strength. Guessing it may be nylon.
Cut some pieces off of another that was broken and melted it into the crack with a hot knife tip on butane soldering iron.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Speaking of melting, here's a little experiment with plastic to repair a bulkhead connector.
Acetone had no effect. Crazyglue had some bonding but no strength. Guessing it may be nylon.
Cut some pieces off of another that was broken and melted it into the crack with a hot knife tip on butane soldering iron.

View attachment 1715276576

View attachment 1715276577

View attachment 1715276578
I melted plastic to seal the bottom of the Duster overflow bottle. Best glue I have found for plastic - JB Weld 50133 plastic bonder

Back during the Winter of the Polar Vortex, I saw more than a few radiators explode while people were driving down the interstate.
eek-gif.gif

Wow!

That said, I'll admit to doing about the same. I don't even remember the details now, but I had done a repair and refilled with water, maybe distilled water thinking I'd get back to it in the fall. I think it was a bad thermostat. Anyway. As usual it was around 7 PM leaving work, and the temperature had really dropped. Get in the car and when I started it had this little light bulb half go off in my head. Not much I could do about it at that point. Just hoped it hadn't frozen such that it cracked anything. Drove it home. 45 minutes. One very cold ride home but didn't crack anything. LOL :)
'74 Nova straight 6 with worn bearings. It was a pretty good car and I was lucky.

I melted plastic to seal the bottom of the Duster overflow bottle. Best glue I have found for plastic - JB Weld 50133 plastic bonder
I'll see if that's the same JB as I tried using to fix some parts on the wagoneer. It worked OK, but have had better luck with two part permatex plastic glue. Got pics somewheres. Cant find right now. :rolleyes:
For the grill and some other parts that turned out to be ABS, acetone worked, especially with little scraps of plastic mixed in. ABS pipe cement worked really well on the grill.

FWIW I found these two webpages helpful:
Intro To Solvent Welding Plastic - Homemades - NerfHaven
Identify Plastics

I think the rockheads had plastic/nylon screen material that could be repaired with the proper filler material, don't recall what heat source was recommended. They didn't let me play with too much plastic, 375* rock and oil don't get along well with that stuff.

Keith - I may have an '73ish era overflow from a slant six A-body.

I think the rockheads had plastic/nylon screen material that could be repaired with the proper filler material, don't recall what heat source was recommended. They didn't let me play with too much plastic, 375* rock and oil don't get along well with that stuff.
The one that scares me when I think of it is the nylon nut that hold the spare tire carrier under the wagon. I fixed it with that permatex stuff and then reinforced it with wire a number of years ago.

Good Evening All! Glad I backread, not for all I'm sure but glad I saw those rocks and other stuff. Really glad it's a mild winter here, I have a heated water line going into my little RV but glad I don't have to skirt, heat lamp the bottom, etc.

Waaay back when (probably 1980) I had a 1974 Datsun B210 that had weak antifreeze in it and overnight on a frigid night, the coolant froze.

When I started it in the morning, the belts were squealing like mad because the water pump was frozen and wouldn’t rotate. I pulled the belts and ran the engine for about 10 mins at a time for a few cycles to heat everything up until the pump melted enough to rotate. Then I put the belts back on and repeated about 5 more times until I got everything warmed up enough to melt all the coolant.

I missed school that day, but at least I got it functional enough to be able to go get fresh antifreeze and replace what was in the system to give proper freeze protection.

Ever since then, I am hyper aware of the coolant condition in all my vehicles.

Waaay back when (probably 1980) I had a 1974 Datsun B210 that had weak antifreeze in it and overnight on a frigid night, the coolant froze.

When I started it in the morning, the belts were squealing like mad because the water pump was frozen and wouldn’t rotate. I pulled the belts and ran the engine for about 10 mins at a time for a few cycles to heat everything up until the pump melted enough to rotate. Then I put the belts back on and repeated about 5 more times until I got everything warmed up enough to melt all the coolant.

I missed school that day, but at least I got it functional enough to be able to go get fresh antifreeze and replace what was in the system to give proper freeze protection.

That sounds like it was a good plan. Funny I just saw a B210 in good shape, kinda cool to see one like that I think. Worst "cold weather" thing I had was a frozen fuel pump, maybe it just quit in the real cold because that doesn't make sense to me.

I had a 74 b210 too. Fun little car.
Nanner yellow.

As seldom as it gets really cold here I had one electric over air solenoid on the old asphalt plant the lowest one on the plant and the one that HAS to function for the mixed AC to escape to the truck. Since it was the lowest of all of them and even with moisture traps on the air line it would freeze. When I knew such temps were in the future, out came the 1000w halogen lamp/heater to keep that solenoid warm at night.

Some of the best lessons Dave. We teach ourselves the hard way. LOL
I can't remember if I ran the car for a bit and shut the engine off for a bit before driving home or not. If i did, it was only once.

Funny thing. Before I bought that Nova, I was driving a Datson B210 a friend had lent me. IIRC it was a '77. 4 spd. Great car! Loved driving it. He wasn't selling it or I would have bought it.

This is my little B210 from back then. It was a crappy little car, but it was a 4 speed manual and sometimes a little fun to drive...and it got me around.

633EC393-6D5E-469E-9653-4FAAE077F8D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. A lot of B210 connections in the coffee club!
the one I borrowed had a little stubby tail and trunk

Cold weather, had to deal with it all my life. Living in the city and parked on the street, would have to move car to make way for snow plowing, or get towed.
And start it every 4 hours when it was really cold. Found a parking lot and nosed front end into snow bank to block the wind. Started easier, but there were days it wouldnt get watm enough to melt the snow in the fins of the rad.

My sister lived in flin flon,some cars ran for a month straight,only shutting them off for gas or an oil change. Not everybody had garages. Block heaters werent enough.

-
Back