Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Hey coffee dwellers, my bench grinder broke and I need to get another one...

What brand and model do you recommend that is affordable and will last???

I have to leave for work soon...

I have been giving a guy in our group a ride for the last three weeks because the transmission went out in his car, a Nissan with only 65 k miles... I give him a ride because he's in our group and when he's not there, it's harder on us - we need his help... Plus he only lives about 4 -5 miles from me, so it's not far out of the way... And he's always ready when I call him to tell him I'm on my way and will be there in 5 minutes... He chips in for gas, which helps as I'm driving my truck as my Impala is still at the body shop getting fixed from the accident...

Thursday is pay day and Jay pays me when we get paid every week... There's a good restaurant (Mickey's gyros and burgers) near the bank and last week they had a good lunch deal that we picked up before work... So we are going to pick up something to eat there today before work...

Catch you all this weekend...

You all have a good day.... :)

Wellllp... Seal is wrong for Volvo Pinion....Can't find one local....So here it sits until Monday.....BEER Time !!!!!!

All my parts showed up. Except the brake cable. Supplier is expecting i will be pissed off about the delay. My customer might be. Was expcting it to be done today. Oh well, do what i can, finish it in morning.

break time. slow in here, peoples must be busy... Iknow I have been. Getting at least a couple hours of yard work in every day before work-work. At this rate I should have my place looking good by the time it snows. lol

This was what was in the tire.
upload_2019-5-2_17-29-16.png

and another learning experience.
upload_2019-5-2_17-31-55.png

upload_2019-5-2_17-32-42.png

Or this the norm these days?

Check the steering gear. Pulled 6-10 oz on steering wheel, and about the same with the sector adjuster backed off.
So left the worm shaft adjustment alone and turned in the adjuster until it was about 16-19 oz pulling on a 9" strong arm.
Drove it down to the Beemer place to pick up the wheel and the steering felt much better.

Those were the only accomplishments to speak of today.

Last edited:
Gee Matt I'm amazed at some of the things you take on.
Sure Mitch, Frank, and others have done the same and understand much better than I.
You seem though to give details, must be the engineer in you. :thumbsup:

Spent about six hours today detailing out the Barracuda. Another hour or so and I'll be done.
Detailing an old car, I find it therapeutic and enjoy it.

Not much choice on some of this stuff Keith.
Who would check and adjust a steering box?
Yet all in all it was pretty easy.
Just a bit time consuming.
Too cheap to buy a torque wrench that does 1.5 - 11 in-lbs, I used a cheap spring scale that goes 0-18 oz. and did a little math.

Now here's a question I probably should post in suspension.
Why does the '67 Plymouth FSM show the torque to reattach the steering arm at 120 ft-lbs, and the '68 and '69 show it at 175 ft lbs?
AFIAK the manual steering box never changed. I went to about 130 this time.

Spent about six hours today detailing out the Barracuda. Another hour or so and I'll be done.
Detailing an old car, I find it therapeutic and enjoy it.
Dang - Why are you so far away? Seeing the dirt and dust on the steering column and just the general condition this afternoon got me thinking I should find someone who knows what they are doing.

So the piece in tire,is from the tire machine. Not unusual.
You are referring to the stick on weight adhesive stuck all over?
Yes the tire machine piece - that probably explains the rough edges on some of the rims. Guess the guy didn't notice it broke off.

And as far as the adhesive goes, that is what I was referring to. Both places focus on higher end foriegn cars. Both do some motorsports. Kind of disappointed to see the sticky just left there and some scratches. Figured high end shop guys wouldn't do that as a matter pride as well as policy. or they'd ask - do you want us to clean it up? 'cause that's an extra, etc.

I used to hate adjusting the USAF wrenches. Avionics was the shop that did the bases. Everything from 1OZ jewelers screwdriver types for NVG's to 1000ftlb ones for the mounting of props. Sucked big time since every time they were dropped they had to be re calibrated. Totally threw them off. Plus the calibration cycle was every three months also. So a few hundred on base meant job security for all!

I used to hate adjusting the USAF wrenches. Avionics was the shop that did the bases. Everything from 1OZ jewelers screwdriver types for NVG's to 1000ftlb ones for the mounting of props. Sucked big time since every time they were dropped they had to be re calibrated. Totally threw them off. Plus the calibration cycle was every three months also. So a few hundred on base meant job security for all!
??????????????????????????????????????????????????? NP ??????

Too cheap to buy a torque wrench that does 1.5 - 11 in-lbs, I used a cheap spring scale that goes 0-18 oz. and did a little math.

Why does the '67 Plymouth FSM show the torque to reattach the steering arm at 120 ft-lbs, and the '68 and '69 show it at 175 ft lbs?
OOPS I did it again! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

me be Keith. Other Z-dude be Craig...
I have seen a couple of what almost have to be errors in the FSMs on torque values.

When i pull the wheel off the yota, i’m taking a picture. You wont believe how much lead got stuck to it. And it shakes bad.
I refuse to even attempt a rebalance. I may check to see how far its out, but that’s it. I hate big wheels.

And the new fancy adhesive wheel weights really messed up all of us that used to collect wheel weights, melt em down, toss the clips and cast bullets out of them. The new ones suk.
Fishing weights.
I saw some soft weights, not lead,but what? A real pain to remove.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????? NP ??????

I was playing catch up and having worked in a Navy Avionics repair facility and on "the other side" I heard what he was saying......what he was speaking in reference to, no idea! HA

-
Back