Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Inside Edition on NBC pointed Melania Trump's stunning outfit at the 4th. celebration. She looks good and apparently just stepped out of the air conditioning! LOL I'll look for photos.

Too damned hot outside...so I decided to stay inside and do something cool!

325739A9-4B20-4112-8D43-A30F7808EE6C.jpeg

So I am still hen packing at this beaker because I have only been able to work on it in very small increments of time. Last week I got like one hour of cumulative time for the week on it.

At first I thought, 4 bbl, headers, and dual exhaust.

But then I thought, if i go headers..... then I have to swap it to manual steering.

I don't know, a lot of effort rounding up parts for a car that will probably never go that fast.

Then I was looking at YouTube videos and finally made up my mind.

2 bbl, stock 318 manifold with dual exhaust. Just like

I actually want the car to be quiet, but a jegs dual exhaust kit is cheaper and easier to find than a stock single exhaust.

I might try different mufflers than what come in the kit because the car should be ..... QUIET!!!

20190705_160040.jpg

But then I thought, if i go headers..... then I have to swap it to manual steering.

If you go with Doug's Headers you should be able to run power steering... The Doug's fit in Eddie's 69 Dart with power steering....

I think that TTI headers will also work with P/S, but am not sure as I haven't seen them installed yet....

I actually want the car to be quiet, but a jegs dual exhaust kit is cheaper and easier to find than a stock single exhaust.

I might try different mufflers than what come in the kit because the car should be ..... QUIET!!!

View attachment 1715359472

Go with a nice turbo street muffler like Dynomax... They well be low restriction, quiet at idle, and rumble some when you rev it up....

If you go with Doug's Headers you should be able to run power steering... The Doug's fit in Eddie's 69 Dart with power steering....

I think that TTI headers will also work with P/S, but am not sure as I haven't seen them installed yet....
I run Heddman shorty headers in my ‘69 GTS and they clear the power steering just fine.

2408681B-91B1-4D6F-9F4E-9DA3C06FC9BE.jpeg

So I am still hen packing at this beaker because I have only been able to work on it in very small increments of time. Last week I got like one hour of cumulative time for the week on it.

At first I thought, 4 bbl, headers, and dual exhaust.

I don't know, a lot of effort rounding up parts for a car that will probably never go that fast.

Then I was looking at YouTube videos and finally made up my mind.

2 bbl, stock 318 manifold with dual exhaust. Just like

The first thing that you need to add to a 318 is dual exhaust, whether you run stock exhaust manifolds or headers... Your choice... You can use either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter pipes...

2 1/2" will give better flow, but be harder to fit... 2 1/4" is good for a mild 318 and will be fine, and will also be good with some mods...

Then I recommend going with a 4 bbl and dual plane intake... Get the Holley or Edelbrock 600 CFM square bore carb and go with a dual plane intake like an LD340, Wiand Stealth, or Edelbrock Performer RPM (not the plain Performer - those are junk)... The Wiand Stealth dual plane intake is a nice one also and still available brand new...

The stock 2 bbl carbs tend to wear out the accelerator pump too fast and I get sick of replacing them... 4 bbl is much more reliable....

The 4 bbl will maximize the benefit with the dual exhaust and the electric choke is very reliable on a daily driver even in dead cold winter... Hook it up to a proper 12 volt source and adjust it properly... Go out on a cold winter morning in 20° pump the gas twice and crank it over... When the engine starts and gets to full oil pressure, put it in gear and drive away... It won't bog or hesitate even cold when the electric choke is set up properly....

The third thing to change on a 318 2 bbl is the timing chain... Throw that junk nylon tooth single row timing chain out and replace it with a good double roller timing chain... You will gain up to 2 MPG if the old chain was worn enough and also when the nylon chipped off the timing gear, they were more prone to jump a tooth...

While your'e in there changing the timing chain, you may as well throw in a better camshaft... Something mild, like a stock 340 cam or slightly bigger, but not too radical...

Then you will have a nice running daily driving dependable 318 that can scoot when you want to and still get some reasonable MPG....

Last edited:
The first thing that you need to add to a 318 is dual exhaust, whether you run stock exhaust manifolds or headers... Your choice... You can use either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter pipes...

2 1/2" will give better flow, but be harder to fit... 2 1/4" is good for a mild 318 and will be fine, and will also be good with some mods...

Then I recommend going with a 4 bbl and dual plane intake... Get the Holley or Edelbrock 600 CFM square bore carb and go with a dual plane intake like an LD340, Wiand Stealth, or Edelbrock Performer RPM (not the plain Performer - those are junk)... The Wiand Stealth dual plane intake is a nice one also and still available brand new...

The stock 2 bbl carbs tend to wear out the accelerator pump too fast and I get sick of replacing them... 4 bbl is much more reliable....

The 4 bbl will maximize the benefit with the dual exhaust and the electric choke is very reliable on a daily driver even in dead cold winter... Hook it up to a proper 12 volt source and adjust it properly... Go out on a cold winter morning in 20° pump the gas twice and crank it over... When the engine starts and gets to full oil pressure, put it in gear and drive away... It won't bog or hesitate even cold when the electric choke is set up properly....

The third thing to change on a 318 2 bbl is the timing chain... Throw that junk nylon tooth single row timing chain out and replace it with a good double roller timing chain... You will gain up to 2 MPG if the old chain was worn enough and also when the nylon chipped off the timing gear, they were more prone to jump a tooth...

While your'e in there changing the timing chain, you may as well throw in a better camshaft... Something mild, like a stock 340 cam or slightly bigger, but not too radical...

Then you will have a nice running daily driving dependable 318 that can scoot when you want to and still get some reasonable MPG....

What cam? I got a low compression 73 318 and I'm not so deep I can't change a cam. I just dont want to end up with a low end dog..

I have homemade duals. (original y pipe cut and modified into duals.) Half of my exhaust is original to the car. 40,000 miles old.
Dynomax mufflers.

So. Ihc is still running hot.
Decided to try a different rad. Have one from a 52 chevy 1 ton.
A little trimming and it fits.
As i was moving it around i heard something clanking inside the rad.
EA9E7B02-DAFD-4A34-BB2D-F5DEFCC733B8.jpeg
How dat get in dere???
3/4 proto socket.

So. Ihc is still running hot.
Decided to try a different rad. Have one from a 52 chevy 1 ton.
A little trimming and it fits.
As i was moving it around i heard something clanking inside the rad. View attachment 1715359514How dat get in dere???
3/4 proto socket.
WTF? Someone tried a redneck flow reducer?

-
Back