th?id=OIP.jpg

spins inside the black thing in an eccentric fashion

looks like this in 1 piece
th?id=OIP.jpg

Makes these
th?id=OIP.jpg
into
th?id=OIP.jpg

The liner (black thing) is held in with 6 or 8 1 1/2" u-bolts depending on size . If they're not 8' cheater bar tight you get to do the entire job over in 3 weeks instead of 9 months. I never had one come loose, but repaired some that did .. No fun .. The liner on the spinny part/mantle held on by a nut about 20" across and 6" high. Sledge hammer city to get it tight. Easy to get them off. If your lucky the liner wore out to the point of cracking or take the scarfing tip to it, nut spins right off. No, I don't miss it :lol:

Tighten the main rotor blades on one of these. 12foot long torque wrench, tight as hell!!!
SH3H_HS15_CVW15_1995_%28cropped%29.jpg

I actually worked on this helicopter.
NAS North Island. the hangers in the rear.
30627892214_06cd767f75_b.jpg

It’s a 5.9 but it’s a 359 CI in-line 6.

I have never seen a cu. in. figure for it, so I took a chance, I take 5900 and divide by 16.39. But not always is the 5900 all that accurate.

Anyway, I like the cu. in. better than the flipping liters. As I like inches for bolts and nuts, I hate that mm stuff, can you believe it, for every mm size there is 4 different threads ? With inches you have 2, UNF and UNC and you are good to go. But the frogs and the jerrys had to have 4... And for inches you can go to a hardware store and get a tap or a die for a 1/2" UNF and for a UNC bolt or nut. For a 12 mm you get only 1 tap and die at the hardware store. The other 3 you have to special order. What a joke is that.

But I hear a lot of Americans who wants metric.

Bill

I have never seen a cu. in. figure for it, so I took a chance, I take 5900 and divide by 16.39. But not always is the 5900 all that accurate.

Anyway, I like the cu. in. better than the flipping liters. As I like inches for bolts and nuts, I hate that mm stuff, can you believe it, for every mm size there is 4 different threads ? With inches you have 2, UNF and UNC and you are good to go. But the frogs and the jerrys had to have 4... And for inches you can go to a hardware store and get a tap or a die for a 1/2" UNF and for a UNC bolt or nut. For a 12 mm you get only 1 tap and die at the hardware store. The other 3 you have to special order. What a joke is that.

But I hear a lot of Americans who wants metric.

Bill
I have found that metric fasteners have a tighter tolerance..

Tighten the main rotor blades on one of these. 12foot long torque wrench, tight as hell!!!
View attachment 1715396079
I actually worked on this helicopter.
NAS North Island. the hangers in the rear.
View attachment 1715396081

Norway have used the Westland Sea King for SAR operations since the 70ties at least. Still use it, extremely good results, and very reliable. They ordered a lot of NH 90 for the new frigates and coastguard in the early 2000's, still not got more than half of them or whatever it is. They are pushed so hard that they need so much maintenance that there is no time to operate it. What a joke that is.
Then they ordered an Augusta helicopter for SAR, to replace the Sea King, think the number is AW101. Norway got one, and after a week they were going to test the engines, and was more or less done with the test, and the helicopter flipped over on the side, just outside the hangar. And then when you read Wikipedia, the AW101 helicopter sort of have a tradition for flipping over.

Bill

Augusta-AW-101-tippet.jpg

Norway have used the Westland Sea King for SAR operations since the 70ties at least. Still use it, extremely good results, and very reliable. They ordered a lot of NH 90 for the new frigates and coastguard in the early 2000's, still not got more than half of them or whatever it is. They are pushed so hard that they need so much maintenance that there is no time to operate it. What a joke that is.
Then they ordered an Augusta helicopter for SAR, to replace the Sea King, think the number is AW101. Norway got one, and after a week they were going to test the engines, and was more or less done with the test, and the helicopter flipped over on the side, just outside the hangar. And then when you read Wikipedia, the AW101 helicopter sort of have a tradition for flipping over.

Bill

View attachment 1715396094
Sea King a very stable platform...Freakin presidents still use them!!!
VH-3D_Marine_One_over_Washington_DC_May_2005.jpg

Bill

View attachment 1715396094

That's awkward :eek::eek:

That the wrench/socket fits tighter...
A lot of that depends, get you a mil spec bolt or nut, the tolerance is +\- .0002. Standard SAE is .002 +\-. At least for what we can procure for our contract project

Plus a lot of that also comes to dealing with quality of sockets as well. No BS, snap on, McCorrmick, Cromwell, even Mac, all not only fit tighter but some, like Snap On, have a dedicate Mil Spec tolerance for the tighter tolerance. We run into this every month at work with procurement

Well, I pulled the TIPM out of the wifes 09 Journey this morning and Fedexed it to South Carolina for repair. It arrived in Indianapolis just after midnight... :wtf: lol

Good Morning MOPAR Gearheads!!
Looks like I'm a First today!!
Nice to first, bad there is no one to talk to.:(

-
Back