Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well, I pulled the TIPM out of the wifes 09 Journey this morning and Fedexed it to South Carolina for repair. It arrived in Indianapolis just after midnight... :wtf: lol

Sounds like my tools that came up here, but the UPS guy could not walk to the porch with it, so he sent it back to England.
I can just hear how Walter/Jeff Dunham would have commented that... Lol

Bill

How do you guys glue the trunk lid seal in place?

Bill

Contact Cement that you can buy at the hardware store. Brush a coat on the trunk seal area, and a coat on the flat area of the weatherstrip to be sealed, let air dry for 10 minutes and then stick them together. One time shot, so have it pre laid out around the trunk opening so all the lengths come out right and be careful about stretching the rubber so it does not come out too long.

Can clean up the contact cement with a fast dry enamel reducer.

Contact Cement is pretty much the same thing as 3M's Weatherstripping Adhesive . . . and for a lot less money.

Contact Cement that you can buy at the hardware store. Brush a coat on the trunk seal area, and a coat on the flat area of the weatherstrip to be sealed, let air dry for 10 minutes and then stick them together. One time shot, so have it pre laid out around the trunk opening so all the lengths come out right and be careful about stretching the rubber so it does not come out too long.

Contact Cement is pretty much the same thing as 3M's Weatherstripping Adhesive . . . and for a lot less money.
Thank you. I suspect I have use Bondo first down in the groove because that is like a roller coaster.

Bill

Thank you. Guess I have to use Bondo to smoothen the roller coaster surface there first, and then repaint it.

Bill

Damn, that lightning was close!

I am on a high spot here, you talk about lightning. Multiple strikes around the house here over the years, when it strikes close it scares the hell out of you. Bang . . no warning.

Blew the electric meter off the pole once, started tree on fire here in the windbreak another time. Then on the south side of house 150 feet away, it struck a 40' tall x 18" diameter evergreen tree, burned the complete center out of the tree from the ground up to 20' and started that burning like a chimney. Had to stretch a garden hose down there to put out the fire in the tree trunk.

Pretty unreal how much power is in a lightning strike. They say the heat in it is hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Hope you stay safe there TMM, that lightning can do damage, not to mention zap out your plugged in computers.

I am on a high spot here, you talk about lightning. Multiple strikes around the house here over the years, when it strikes close it scares the hell out of you. Bang . . no warning.

Blew the electric meter off the pole once, started tree on fire here in the windbreak another time. Then on the south side of house 150 feet away, it struck a 40' tall x 18" diameter evergreen tree, burned the complete center out of the tree from the ground up to 20' and started that burning like a chimney. Had to stretch a garden hose down there to put out the fire in the tree trunk.

Pretty unreal how much power is in a lightning strike. They say the heat in it is hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Hope you stay safe there TMM, that lightning can do damage, not to mention zap out your plugged in computers.
(unplug my computer) :thankyou::thumbsup:

How do you guys glue the trunk lid seal in place?

Bill
poorly.
upload_2019-9-19_8-53-54.png

Sounds like my tools that came up here, but the UPS guy could not walk to the porch with it, so he sent it back to England.
Bill
I guess they know what they were doing. Shows it is on a delivery truck in Greenville SC as of 8AM.

Hmmm. Not saying some other contact adhesives won't work. But not all are created equal. They will stick it on, but some will look like Matt's before long. I like the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Actually think the yellow is better, but the black looks better if a bit oozes out on the trunk seal. Also it will fill a little bit of that roller coaster effect.

poorly.
Ammo in the trunk? Well you are in Philly. Carry on... LOL

Good Morning
View attachment 1715396155

I thought I could change oil in the pick up quick. Looks like I might get wet. LOL

Capture.PNG

Mattax, have seen that before. It's usually because there was not enough contact cement applied to both weatherstrip and the trunk flange surface.

People will put the weatherstrip adhesive only on the rubber weatherstripping and stick it on wet . . not exactly right.

Follow the outline in Post 296160 with @Bills65Dart

If you want to get the rubber weather strip to stick really good, apply 2 coats of Contact Cement to the weatherstrip adhesive side and 2 coats to the trunk flange. Letting each coat air dry for 10 minutes before applying the 2nd coat. After the 2nd coat on the parts let the whole thing air dry 15 minutes to flash off and tack up. Then you can stick it down next, it is quite permanent. Provided you have cleaned the surfaces with a fast dry enamel reducer to prepare them for the adhesives.

Good to have a second pair of hands to hold the glued weatherstrip 4 inches up off the trunk flange, while the next person carefully sticks it down in a straight line without stretching it. Want to get the length right doing this, a little push or pull on the weatherstrip is ok while sticking it down to get the length to come out just right. This is where the second pair of hands come in real handy.

Good Luck . . and yes we want to help you keep the water out of the trunk . . .

And what weather strip you use makes a difference. Installed one on the 66 Dart, it sat a while and it would not open. The weather strip attached itself to the trunk. What a mess!!! Pried the trunk open, really, removed the weather strip, sanded, repainted the lip, installed the correct weatherstrip, Freakin pain...

And what weather strip you use makes a difference. Installed one on the 66 Dart, it sat a while and it would not open. The weather strip attached itself to the trunk. What a mess!!! Pried the trunk open, really, removed the weather strip, sanded, repainted the lip, installed the correct weatherstrip, Freakin pain...
I wiped some armorall on mine to stop it from sticking

oh and I need to find a dipstick tube for a poly

Chilly here. Actually dipped into the 40s last night. Came out of work and :wtf:. Gonna have to start taking a jacket. Or at least wear long sleeves. We are supposed to warm up for the next few days, but 80 degree days won't be around much longer

Chilly here. Actually dipped into the 40s last night. Came out of work and :wtf:. Gonna have to start taking a jacket. Or at least wear long sleeves. We are supposed to warm up for the next few days, but 80 degree days won't be around much longer
As long as it is warm while I am there in a few weeks....

-
Back