Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
They sure did, but it was an option...not all got it. My ‘69 still has the factory black undercoating.

View attachment 1715421553
Nice clean exhaust Dave. Looks like hand made and not out of a box. I am in need of replacement on my Swinger. It still has half the original pipes on it. (single converted to duals) What is left is pretty thin.

They sure did, but it was an option...not all got it. My ‘69 still has the factory black undercoating.

View attachment 1715421553

I see. Interesting. I remember Mercedes-Benz, I think it was 2-3 years between 1975 and 1980, they used a special undercoating that was like some kind of plastic. It was sprayed on, and did not stick for whatever reason. And oh my goodness did those rust. Very few of those has survived in Norway. People had a horrible job getting the plastic stuff down, and repairing the body, and re-coating it with primer and paint and whatever they put on. A disaster on 4 wheels. The thought was good, but theory and practice is not always the same.

Bill

Nice clean exhaust Dave. Looks like hand made and not out of a box. I am in need of replacement on my Swinger. It still has half the original pipes on it. (single converted to duals) What is left is pretty thin.
Yep, the shop that did the MP crate motor install for the previous owner made and welded it by hand. I’m thinking of replacing it this spring with the Pypes Street Pro system with bigger 2.5” pipes. What’s on there now is 2”.

I see. Interesting. I remember Mercedes-Benz, I think it was 2-3 years between 1975 and 1980, they used a special undercoating that was like some kind of plastic. It was sprayed on, and did not stick for whatever reason. And oh my goodness did those rust. Very few of those has survived in Norway. People had a horrible job getting the plastic stuff down, and repairing the body, and re-coating it with primer and paint and whatever they put on. A disaster on 4 wheels. The thought was good, but theory and practice is not always the same.

Bill
That’s why I said people stopped doing undercoating around here...it made more rust than it prevented.

Well sitting here with the wife and we are enjoying a Crown and cubes. Been a long day five hours of fall yard work and two hours at the gym.
Getting ready to cook up a couple rib-eyes, sour cream mashed potatoes and some mixed veggies and mushrooms.
I have a special way I prep the steaks, marinate, sear, then grill, etc... No steak knife required, one of the best steaks you'll have!!

Yep, the shop that did the MP crate motor install for the previous owner made and welded it by hand. I’m thinking of replacing it this spring with the Pypes Street Pro system with bigger 2.5” pipes. What’s on there now is 2”.
I might go TTI. They have lead pipes for different manifolds. I might put on some 340 manifolds I have. Need to wake the teen up a bit.

Well sitting here with the wife and we are enjoying a Crown and cubes. Been a long day five hours of fall yard work and two hours at the gym.
Getting ready to cook up a couple rib-eyes, sour cream mashed potatoes and some mixed veggies and mushrooms.
I have a special way I prep the steaks, marinate, sear, then grill, etc... No steak knife required, one of the best steaks you'll have!!
Sounds good. I'll be right over!

I might go TTI. They have lead pipes for different manifolds. I might put on some 340 manifolds I have. Need to wake the teen up a bit.
Yeah, the headers on mine are Heddman shorties so I will need to fab up the down pipes. The Pypes system I’m looking at is only cross-member back so I need to make the connections.

The Hedman tight-Tube Street rod shorties make it pretty straightforward to fab the down pipes.

65912296-54CD-4B77-91B1-1D56FAB56A63.jpeg

This was last year. A couple of storms like this...

View attachment 1715421545

One big one like this...

View attachment 1715421547

And this nightmare. That driveway isn’t wet, it has nearly a half inch of ice on it.

View attachment 1715421546

I am not trying to make fun of Americans, far from, but this "storm" thing has been an interesting thing for me. I am used to calling it storm when the wind reach a certain speed. Under that it is gale, and under that again it is breeze. :lol: So, when people here says it is a storm of some kind, like rain storm, or thunder storm, well, we do not have much of that here, but it is talked about, I am like, what... this is hardly even a breeze. It is just that the words are used very different and nothing wrong with that, but when I moved here it puzzled me. I do realize that here in the city it is not much wind, while up in the mountains it might be more windy.

You see, I grew up in a village where the wind and wind gusts were extremely strong due to being surrounded by mountains. Tipping buses and 18 wheelers, and blowing cars of the road. Taking buildings. And not a tornado, just from flat wind. The houses are secured with wires or steel rods in the corners. Fastest gusts I have recorded was 150 mph.
More than once my wife has told me that what I have been used to in my life is completely different from life here. Being used to have a little boys room outside, going there in the winter too as a little boy. Windy and snow did not matter. Think I was about 5-6 years old when we got a little boys room inside. In the little boys room outside we used old newspapers as bathroom tissue. Life these days are certainly different.

Bill

I am not trying to make fun of Americans, far from, but this "storm" thing has been an interesting thing for me. I am used to calling it storm when the wind reach a certain speed. Under that it is gale, and under that again it is breeze. :lol: So, when people here says it is a storm of some kind, like rain storm, or thunder storm, well, we do not have much of that here, but it is talked about, I am like, what... this is hardly even a breeze. It is just that the words are used very different and nothing wrong with that, but when I moved here it puzzled me. I do realize that here in the city it is not much wind, while up in the mountains it might be more windy.

You see, I grew up in a village where the wind and wind gusts were extremely strong due to being surrounded by mountains. Tipping buses and 18 wheelers, and blowing cars of the road. Taking buildings. And not a tornado, just from flat wind. The houses are secured with wires or steel rods in the corners. Fastest gusts I have recorded was 150 mph.
More than once my wife has told me that what I have been used to in my life is completely different from life here. Being used to have a little boys room outside, going there in the winter too as a little boy. Windy and snow did not matter. Think I was about 5-6 years old when we got a little boys room inside. In the little boys room outside we used old newspapers as bathroom tissue. Life these days are certainly different.

Bill
Around here, a weather event that causes precipitation and/or winds between periods of relative calm is called a “storm”. That’s because the rest of the days it is generally fair weather....so the “Storm” period is the anomaly that gets a name to describe it.

Around here, a weather event that causes precipitation and/or winds between periods of relative calm is called a “storm”. That’s because the rest of the days it is generally fair weather....so the “Storm” period is the anomaly that gets a name to describe it.

Oh, I realize that. And, if you contacted the weather people, it might be that the wind actually reach the speed of storm in some areas of that weather system. While in most places where that weather passes it is less wind.
It was just so funny the first time I heard it said here, people sounded to me like they were a bit worried, and called it a rain storm. And time went by, and I was like, when is this wind going to hit ? Because I sort of knew what a "storm" was, but then my kind of storm. And I do realize that tornadoes are vicious and extremely strong winds. From the village in Norway we used to see tiny tornadoes, we called them "spinners". They were strong, but nothing in the neighborhood of what you guys have here. But, the flat wind was strong, and I have had to grab the hold of things not to be taken by the wind many a time. Or go behind the corner and just peek around.

Bill

Definition:
Storm: a disturbance of the atmosphere from normal conditions marked by wind and/or rain, snow, hail, sleet, freezing rain or thunder and lightning. Large fires that cause similar atmospheric disturbance may be included.

Bill
'storm' can certainly mean a lot of different thing. Any big change to normal nice weather. 150mph, that's nuts! Would destroy pretty much everything around here. Just not built for that.
As for the 'little boys room' There are still some outhouses around. One on my neighbors property I am sure saw its last use long before I moved here in '93. Only home I recall having one in use growing up was my Great Aunt Elva and Uncle George's farmhouse in Sugarloaf PA. We often visited for a few days there in the summer.

Oh, I realize that. And, if you contacted the weather people, it might be that the wind actually reach the speed of storm in some areas of that weather system. While in most places where that weather passes it is less wind.
It was just so funny the first time I heard it said here, people sounded to me like they were a bit worried, and called it a rain storm. And time went by, and I was like, when is this wind going to hit ? Because I sort of knew what a "storm" was, but then my kind of storm. And I do realize that tornadoes are vicious and extremely strong winds. From the village in Norway we used to see tiny tornadoes, we called them "spinners". They were strong, but nothing in the neighborhood of what you guys have here. But, the flat wind was strong, and I have had to grab the hold of things not to be taken by the wind many a time. Or go behind the corner and just peek around.

Bill
Well, here the operative words are “and/or” wind. Wind is not required to call it a storm.

In the purest sense, a “storm” is any sudden and significantly forceful deviation from what is generally considered normal.

My 1965 Dodge Dart has had some kind of undercoating under the wheel wells
Yes - Sound deadner as DDaddy indicated. Siumilar was "Rubberized undercoating" used to be sold in aerosol cans at the parts stores. Some of the restoration oriented owners have discssion about the best replica.
Like others, I never liked the fact if there was any crack, or it started to flake, moisture would get trapped against the metal.
My car only had it in the wheelwells, so I left it. The rest I painted with marine epoxy. Laying on the the floor - car on jackstands. Lots of fun - not.
But no complaints it was a desert car without the general undercoat option. Could have been a lot worse!
Rust Oleum have a primer that is supposed to work well on rusted surfaces, and then there is another reddish primer called Corroless
Rustoleum changed the formulation of their rusty metal primer. Its too soon for me to comment on whether it is as good as it was. Yes - like most primers it has high permeability and needs topcoating to protect the metal against moisture.
Corroless is a different story. When dry it is highly moisture resistant. It uses several different technologies than other rusty metal primers. Its a British product that as far as I know, currently has no distributors or retailers in the USA. If you find otherwise, please let me know. They might or might not ship it direct. Prob the easiest way is to find a UK source who ships.
IIRC the one paint that can not be used over Corroless is Hammerite. Hammerite is styrenated something or another. Its licensed for manufacture here in US by Masterchem so readily available.

Do you think the factory applied undercoating in 1965 on the Dart's ?
Dave answered that.

For nooks, crannies and other places that can't be properly prepped and painted there are a number of non-curing waxy products. Waxoyl is one I've used - also a UK item but available here. Lets face it face, the Brits are rust experts.
laugh2-gif.gif
laugh2-gif.gif
laugh2-gif.gif

LPS 3 is a waxy coating available in a spray can. (No its not from UK!
laugh2-gif.gif
)

Yes - Sound deadner as DDaddy indicated. Siumilar was "Rubberized undercoating" used to be sold in aerosol cans at the parts stores. Some of the restoration oriented owners have discssion about the best replica.
Like others, I never liked the fact if there was any crack, or it started to flake, moisture would get trapped against the metal.
My car only had it in the wheelwells, so I left it. The rest I painted with marine epoxy. Laying on the the floor - car on jackstands. Lots of fun - not.
But no complaints it was a desert car without the general undercoat option. Could have been a lot worse!
Rustoleum changed the formulation of their rusty metal primer. Its too soon for me to comment on whether it is as good as it was. Yes - like most primers it has high permeability and needs topcoating to protect the metal against moisture.
Corroless is a different story. When dry it is highly moisture resistant. It uses several different technologies than other rusty metal primers. Its a British product that as far as I know, currently has no distributors or retailers in the USA. If you find otherwise, please let me know. They might or might not ship it direct. Prob the easiest way is to find a UK source who ships.
IIRC the one paint that can not be used over Corroless is Hammerite. Hammerite is styrenated something or another. Its licensed for manufacture here in US by Masterchem so readily available.

Dave answered that.

For nooks, crannies and other places that can't be properly prepped and painted there are a number of non-curing waxy products. Waxoyl is one I've used - also a UK item but available here. Lets face it face, the Brits are rust experts. View attachment 1715421616 View attachment 1715421617 View attachment 1715421618

Well, the Brittish have a moist climate... so it would be normal for.them to find a solution for it, finally

Bill

Sounds GRRREAT!!!

Stuffed myself with leftover chicken roast, potatoes and sweet potatoes etc. Soup was mushroom barley. Just enough left for tommorrow. Then I'll make chicken soup - of course!
Salad had some fresh turnip greens. This is prob the last I'll be able get fresh.
Brought in some arrugala that survived the freeze. Nasturtiums are gone.
Planted some shallots and garlic a neighbor gave me. We'll see in the Spring how they do. Low risk experiment...
laugh2-gif.gif

Last edited:
Sounds GRRREAT!!!

Stuffed myself with leftover chicken roast, potatoes and sweet potatoes etc. Soup was mushroom barley. Just enough left for tommorrow. Then I'll make chicken soap - of course!
Salad was had some fresh turnip greens. This is prob the last I'll be able get fresh.
Brought in some arrugala that survived the freeze. Nasturtiums are gone.
Planted some shallots and garlic a neighbor gave me. We'll see in the Spring how they do. Low risk experiment... View attachment 1715421622
I was busy splitting wood and mowing leaves earlier. Wife burned her finger with hot melt glue yesterday and wasn't into cooking. So, I tossed a frozen peperoni pizza in the oven. 15 minutes later - dinner served. And a couple beers of course.

-
Back