Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I spent the late afternoon doing some more vintage gas ad restoration and learned something I never knew before.

Apparently Sunoco had licensed the Disney characters for use in their advertising back in the late 1930s...

DB51E633-D38B-4330-9324-3ADDC6018E9B.jpeg

85965AD6-7F03-41AB-B55F-4E2067D14477.jpeg

Also learned that Dr. Seuss did a bunch of illustrations for Standard Oil and then later for Esso. He created new characters for the ads and didn’t use any of the ones from his books.

4AE55C23-02C5-4F9C-BED9-3E3F32BE3415.jpeg

58D82C97-8025-4CFA-9B4C-BF769E03539B.jpeg

Oh, and since you can’t read the names on the 7 Seuss boys with the low res image hosting on this site, they are as follows...

Carbon less
Gum less
Sulfur less
Anti knock
Crystal clear
Quick starting
Bubble free

I took my digital camera in today and did a higher quality video of what I did today. Here it is.

340 HP in 62 Small block? I do think Chevy was full of poop! Did they Dyno it, Shoe the results! Chevy must havehad Magic to get those kind of numbers out of cast iron heads....And manifolds.

340 HP in 62 Small block? I do think Chevy was full of poop! Did they Dyno it, Shoe the results! Chevy must havehad Magic to get those kind of numbers out of cast iron heads....And manifolds.
Dyno curve from the Corvette forum on a stock ‘62 small block engine rebuilt to factory specs...

CDCE048B-FE77-492E-9480-7E6385FA72F3.jpeg

No sir. It's right on the money. 11.25:1, lumpy little solid cam, ram's horn 2.5" manifolds. Pre LT1 aluminum intake and carter AFB. It's bonifide. Like it or not.

That was mundane for the 327, really. There was a carbureted 365 HP and a fuel injected 375 HP. They are tough little motors.
Chevy built some amazing stuff back in those days, and earned every bit of respect they got for it.

:thumbsup:

Chevy built some amazing stuff back in those days, and earned every bit of respect they got for it.

That is what my dad said. GM Executive. We ran my 64 sport fury 'Vert with the 426 Wedge, against my uncles 396 Chevele, I posted just over 14 sec. I beat him by half a car. But small blocks were where it was. We built a 1200 HP small block in our mini rod tractor. Awesome..

I agree. There was a level of respect coming out of Chevy's assembly lines and you could see it in the workmanship. I'm a big fan, regardless of what anyone says, they made some super cool stuff. How anyone could not think this was a beautiful little engine is beyond me. And.....since it's a 1970 LT1 Corvette engine, you best pack a lunch for that 370 HP.

350 LT1.jpg

I agree. There was a level of respect coming out of Chevy's assembly lines and you could see it in the workmanship. I'm a big fan, regardless of what anyone says, they made some super cool stuff. How anyone could not think this was a beautiful little engine is beyond me. And.....since it's a 1970 LT1 Corvette engine, you best pack a lunch for that 370 HP.

View attachment 1715470353
The form factor on small block chevy is amazing. So small, for what they are.....

That second is an interesting ad.
260 is, or also is, a racing fuel.
Lets see what's currently offered.
Yup 260GT and GT plus have eth (oxygenated) and GTX is non-oxygenated.
Sunoco Race Fuels
And you used to be able to get it at the pump back in the day. Still can at select stations around here. There is one over by Glen Mills that still offers it at the pump...pricey though.

The form factor on small block chevy is amazing. So small, for what they are.....

Shoot man, if we're goin for size, the Ford small block wins hands down. How many 302s did FoMoCo put in everything? One can only imagine. Even in F350s. And they pulled!

And you used to be able to get it at the pump back in the day. Still can at select stations around here. There is one over by Glen Mills that still offers it at the pump...pricey though.
That's cool there is one there. Self Heating near Hatboro has it, but it's not a regular pump. They put it in your containers and weigh it. No road taxes on it. Chestnut Hill Sunoco I think still has Standard in a pump. Do not try to pump it into your car - they get pissed!!! I didn't understand at the time - after all my car is made for leaded fuel - but I'm sure one of the big issues for them is the taxes.

Shoot man, if we're goin for size, the Ford small block wins hands down. How many 302s did FoMoCo put in everything? One can only imagine. Even in F350s. And they pulled!
Yep, the Big 3 we’re doing everything big back in those days and the innovations and performance gains were incredible...across all brands.

That’s why the horsepower wars were just that..a war. And nobody knew who would win next.

-
Back