Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Said to heck with the interior, loaded up the wife and took the Duster for a cruise around town. Topped off the tank. Was odd not having to deal with major traffic and seeing parking lots almost empty. Told the wife it felt like we were in a post apocalyptic movie. Driving around in the beat up old Duster looking for what we could pillage!
:lol:

Said to heck with the interior, loaded up the wife and took the Duster for a cruise around town. Topped off the tank. Was odd not having to deal with major traffic and seeing parking lots almost empty. Told the wife it felt like we were in a post apocalyptic movie. Driving around in the beat up old Duster looking for what we could pillage!
:lol:
Was thinking of taking mine out today. Lucky I was checking on some wiring question for Matt and another member. Just looked down at that linkage and :wtf:. That could have gone very badly. The good news is that cover is doing a great job. I only had it halfway off, but no sign of wearing on the paint as some naysayers cautioned. I did find a tiny tear at front bumper corner. Apparently somebody just touched it in another vehicle - slight 'rub' on the chrome. No paint color showing on cover at the tear, so not likely one of our vehicles. Both are painted bumpers.
I do think adding the rope across in the front of the windshield makes a huge difference in not wearing the paint. Keeps wind from getting under it and flapping - :thankyou: @Ddaddy

Gotta go check my corned beef. Smelling good. Should be about ready to add potatoes.

It's Mooneyes Monday!

View attachment 1715488012

Good morning.

Not bad, but here's a set of moon eyes....

Moon eyes.jpg

So the first video is from December with the old starter, new battery.
these next two are from today, with new mini starter, new voltage regulator, same battery as December

So it turns over faster and still won't start in any of them... :rolleyes: :poke:

Timing too far advanced

So turn it counter clockwise right? Right now I’m second guessing every move I’ve made lol

Turn the crank to be at 10° BTDC, then pop the distributor cap off and rotate the distributor so the rotor points to #1 cylinder... Then you should be firing at 10° advanced which is a good place to start with an engine that's been apart and not run for a while...

After it starts, then adjust the timing properly...

Last edited:
You guys think it’s getting spark?

Verify it's getting spark - hold the spark plug wire in your hand while cranking over...

But seriously, I keep a spare spark plug in my tool box and when I need to check for spark, I pull the #1 or any long wire from the plug, then attach the spark plug wire to the spare spark plug... Then hold the bottom electrode of the spark plug to a good ground and crank the engine over with the ignition on... If you see spark, you are good, if you don't see spark, then take the center coil wire off the distributor cap and hold it close to a ground without touching the end of the cable to the ground and crank the engine over and watch for the spark to jump across the gap...

Now prime the carb... Pour a bit of gas into a jar and hold the throttle blades open and pour a little gas down the carb... Then try to start the engine... The engine may kick over and then die... You may have to repeat this 2 - 3 times before the fuel pump will prime the carb bowl with fuel... Once the carb fuel bowl is primed, the engine will kick over and stay running...

Gotta go check my corned beef. Smelling good. Should be about ready to add potatoes.
Huge tactical error. I don't think I ever cooked a 'brisket' and don't do a lot with the crock pot...I was looking at a 'dutch oven recipe' 2-3 hours till you add vegies. Crock pot is more like 8. :BangHead: Good thing we are not having dinner guests. LOL.
No problem. Moved it to a pot on stove and got some heat under it. Should still have dinner by 6:30 :thumbsup:

Got distributor done and back in. Is running again. Not as crusty as it was.
1A0B200F-7318-4E03-B54F-5956A8CDA0AE.jpeg
FFD25608-2CB7-43BD-87AD-FA1E351E6E2B.jpeg

Huge tactical error. I don't think I ever cooked a 'brisket' and don't do a lot with the crock pot...I was looking at a 'dutch oven recipe' 2-3 hours till you add vegies. Crock pot is more like 8. :BangHead: Good thing we are not having dinner guests. LOL.
No problem. Moved it to a pot on stove and got some heat under it. Should still have dinner by 6:30 :thumbsup:
Brisket is slow. best the 2nd heating IMO.
If its corned beef - I always do that stovetop with water. Finish off with the cabage in the liquid.
I could see trying it in crock pot for more of stew.

Ok, halfway caught up.. I need a break...

Will try again later.... I'm up to yesterday morning...

Chris has a bunch of things to straighten out before he tries to start that engine.
Finding where the hell the power is coming from.
Hooking up the throttle cable so it works.
Those are he big ones so far. I wouldn't pour any fuel down the throat at this point. Might just be washing the cylinder bores down.
Might need wheel chocks since it may not have any brakes.
Really don't want to be reading about any emergency trips.

Chris has a bunch of things to straighten out before he tries to start that engine.
Finding where the hell the power is coming from.
Hooking up the throttle cable so it works.
Those are he big ones so far. I wouldn't pour any fuel down the throat at this point. Might just be washing the cylinder bores down.
Might need wheel chocks since it may not have any brakes.
Really don't want to be reading about any emergency trips.
I am wondering the condition of the Timing components, Chain and sprockets. Not gears, gears interact with each other directly....

-
Back