Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Ice is the worst. Taking out power and causing bad crashes.

the last ice storm parked everything. Imagine the highway sanding trucks not moving due to the dangerous conditions. Whats needed is trucks that apply sand out the front. Buddy at the municipal public works was driving backwards to apply sand.
Same here. PennDOT trucks will often back down a road to apply salt/sand during freezing rain.

Ice is lethal.

Years ago, I was stuck on the ice covered hills of Chester county waiting hours for a salt truck. One finally arrived and tried to go down the hill. He started sliding and did a slow motion spin to the bottom. Once he stopped, he backed up the hill slowly while spreading salt as he went. Once at the top, he turned around and backed down the highway ahead of us as we slow crawled our way forward. The Highway Patrol kept us about 30 minutes behind him moving at 5 mph. It took 6 hours to get home that night...only 20 miles away.

After that, it seemed like it was SOP to back the trucks down roads during ice storms.

You couldn’t pay me enough to go out on the roads here tonight.

Salt is in short supply this year and more ice is predicted later this week, so I’m trying to conserve my inventory and only put enough down to get out the front door and over to the front lawn and walk in the snow when the dog need to go out.

I was at a local Ace Hardware this week and they had 50 lb bags of salt for $10 so I picked up 2 bags for the neighbor and 5 for me....

Most stores around here want $10 for half that much... :icon_fU:

I was at a local Ace Hardware this week and they had 50 lb bags of salt for $10 so I picked up 2 bags for the neighbor and 5 for me....

No salt in any of the stores around here...we have been trying for weeks to find some. I still have 15 lbs of calcium chloride left from last year and a 50 lb bag of sand if I need it. Trying to make it last...

In f degrees.
38E0DD0C-B91E-4A09-8EE0-5111A0170C47.png

Consider yourself lucky, it’s an ice skating rink here. :(
That sucks. I have some ice on my front steps and the paper delivery guy commented. Hey dude, ice melt doesn't work when it's teens below zero. LMAO

I have. Vise too.
Since then i built a brake,and a planishing hammer. And bought shrinker/stretcher, english wheel and bead roller. Lots of sheet metal tools.
Got a picture of your brake? I built mine as well but looking to make improvements

I’m livid at my wife right now. I bought 4, 25 pound bags last March when it was half off. Come to find out, she dumped it all out when she was “organizing” our storage shed over the summer :BangHead: course we’ve not had any appreciable snow fall all winter until now and I hadn’t looked. Course there’s none to be had around town with the impending forecasts

That sucks. I have some ice on my front steps and the paper delivery guy commented. Hey dude, ice melt doesn't work when it's teens below zero. LMAO
Yep, sodium chloride works to about 20*F and calcium chloride works to around 5*F. Both will work lower than that, but the amount needed increases dramatically. Below 5* traction aids like sand and cinders are the most effective to help with traction.

Ice sucks.

I think its still in the shop, will take some pics tomorrow.
I built mine out of 2x2, 1/4 wall square tubing. it works okay. I built it to be able to handle a 24 inch wide piece but it flexes too much in the middle that wide, even with 22 gauge. I can do up to 16 gauge, 12 inches wide, or about 16 inches wide with 22 gauge. I think I need better downforce in the center of my clamp piece, which is 1/2 inch flat bar stock.

Kinda windy here today, but nothing compared to the old homeland. Out there, sustained @ 50mph with 70 mph gusts, 1/2 mile visibility, with some light rain just for fun :realcrazy:. Dust storms with some rain is really ugly, been there done that. Good day to be a FORMER desert rat :lol:.

Yep, sodium chloride works to about 20*F and calcium chloride works to around 5*F. Both will work lower than that, but the amount needed increases dramatically. Below 5* traction aids like sand and cinders are the most effective to help with traction.

Ice sucks.
Speaking of cinders. My grandfather has been burning reclaimed lumber from a couple buildings we tore down last year in his outdoor store. My brother came and got a truck load of the ashes to put on his driveway Tuesday...ignoring what my grandfather told him, it’s full of nails, barn nails. Sure enough, my sister in law said he was out there all day Wednesday with a magnet trying to pick up after getting a couple nails in his tires.

I built mine out of 2x2, 1/4 wall square tubing. it works okay. I built it to be able to handle a 24 inch wide piece but it flexes too much in the middle that wide, even with 22 gauge. I can do up to 16 gauge, 12 inches wide, or about 16 inches wide with 22 gauge. I think I need better downforce in the center of my clamp piece, which is 1/2 inch flat bar stock.
I put a truss on mine. A very simple mod.my brake is 48”. The clamp is angle iron in ^ this position so i can go beyond 90 degrees.

Ice sucks.
What about potassium chloride? I got about 4 million pounds of it! I can sell all of it you guys want as long as you take it in 2,000 pound super sacks!

I put a truss on mine. A very simple mod.my brake is 48”. The clamp is angle iron in ^ this position so i can go beyond 90 degrees.
I was considering the truss idea but the angle with a truss maybe the best bet. Thanks!

What about potassium chloride? I got about 4 million pounds of it! I can sell all of it you guys want as long as you take it in 2,000 pound super sacks!
Hmmm well I do need some black powder, got any charcoal to go with lol

Oh boy, the chocolate factory is back in full production.

My daughter decided to expand her Valentines gift giving to some of the older couples in the neighborhood and their grandkids. She has been baking cupcakes and making chocolates all day..and still going strong. Here is the latest batch of handmade chocolates. Milk chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, raspberry chocolate, and strawberry chocolate in a variety of combinations along with toffee and caramel bits added. She has at least his much more still in the works...

115156DC-E0D5-4B25-B06C-05F005754DD2.jpeg

Yeah, that’s ice...and a fair bit of it.

Going to bed now, will deal with this crap tomorrow.

BCCF9B2C-752E-410F-88B7-184285E6755D.jpeg

I assume salt is salt.

Have you ever checked into loose, white salt (livestock salt) at your local feed store? It’s usually about $7 for a 50 lb sack around here.

-
Back