Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Morning!
16 with a high of 32 and some sun. Nice!
Lots of work this week.

Moved Fargo from shop to storage. Im real happy with the brakes now. Installed the residual valves and new shoes,wheel cyls and gooder rear drums. Much better than it was before. Wasnt thinking when i noticed my left adjuster was worn out. Will pull one out of the parts diff i have. I figure out of 3 i should have a good one.

Eh I don’t trust myself to keep that nice and round and yeah I’d screw it

Chis, if you are talking a difference of 70.3 vs 70.6 mm that is about 12 thousandths of an inch. (average human hair is 0.003" so 4 ish) Sand paper wheel on die grinder would easily be done and barely touching it.

Good Morning all. Going to be in upper 30's to lower 40's for the next week plus. Sun feels so nice and snow is melting. With as much salt they have on the roads, it will be August before is washes off. Many places look like we are driving on gravel roads or the beach.

I saw this AMC project rolling through the powder coat shop yesterday, not sure of year, early 60's probably. Guy driving it in/out of there said the owner is deciding on power plants for it to include a possible Mazda rotary engine? That would be interesting.

IMG_2090.jpg

Chis, if you are talking a difference of 70.3 vs 70.6 mm that is about 12 thousandths of an inch. (average human hair is 0.003" so 4 ish) Sand paper wheel on die grinder would easily be done and barely touching it.
Now here’s a question, could I not sand down the flat, outer edge of the center hub to let it clear as well?

Now here’s a question, could I not sand down the flat, outer edge of the center hub to let it clear as well?

Yes, I am sure you could. Lightly touch it with a grinder while spinning the hub the best you could, but @Ddaddy had a good point. Do it once on the rims if only for memory. Change rotors in a hurry some time, throw wheels on, run on with impact and go....ooops. Or if you sold it, kids end up with it, etc. If you had a way to spin the rim so you could run a buff/sand wheel in the pilot, it could turn out just fine. It is a tiny amount of material you need to remove. Just my 2¢

Yes, I am sure you could. Lightly touch it with a grinder while spinning the hub the best you could, but @Ddaddy had a good point. Do it once on the rims if only for memory. Change rotors in a hurry some time, throw wheels on, run on with impact and go....ooops. Or if you sold it, kids end up with it, etc. If you had a way to spin the rim so you could run a buff/sand wheel in the pilot, it could turn out just fine. It is a tiny amount of material you need to remove. Just my 2¢
Correct, I don’t disagree. But screwing up 50 bucks in rotors beats screwing up 600 in wheels.

oh it’s 730. Wheel shop opened, gonna call them. I’d feel much more comfortable having the wheels done professionally than by me doing it.

FWIW Chris, I would sand out the rim. The amount needed wouldn’t even be measurable on a wheel balancer. Besides if you had to replace a hub on the side of the road you’re going to have to do it again. Just sand the wheel and be done with it.

The ford rims i put on the Barracuda had a similar problem. Flapwheel in the die grinder and it took just a touch to get them to fit. A couple rounds with the flapwheel inside the wheel will do it. Use a sharpie and mark the area you need to tune up. Buff til color from sharpie is gone. Probably 2 or three repeats and its done. Or,test fit wheel, snug, remove and grind away the scarred part that the hub created.

fitting parts like a machinist does is marking compound, test fit, and remove offending material and add marking compound and repeat until there are no marks. Just dont go all heavy handed.

So the talk with the wheel shop was interesting. If I bring them the rotor and the wheel, theyll make the wheel fit for 150 per wheel. If I want a new grove cut for the center caps and the caps worked to fit correctly, it’s 225 per wheel. :eek:

-
Back