Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
He or she will just check your head and find it empty.
Been there done that.:thumbsup:
OIP.oUKct7FrkzWTOweG22zC-gHaFl?w=249&h=188&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Good Morning everyone. My girlfriend made it here safely. 100's of miles of rain, but all is good. I am switching to working 4 ten hour days, will be nice saving the drive and having 3 day weekends from now on. So far it has been working well. With that....happy Friday.

Good Morning everyone. My girlfriend made it here safely. 100's of miles of rain, but all is good. I am switching to working 4 ten hour days, will be nice saving the drive and having 3 day weekends from now on. So far it has been working well. With that....happy Friday.
It's Friday?

2 more days to go. Would like to get my new (to me) car home. Hoping it doesent rain this weekend.

According to the bride we need another car to fill the garage. I was thinking a 64 Dodge 330 with a Max Wedge??
My other choice 70-71 Barracuda or Challenger 440 6 pack??
Or something close nice driver won't be too worried to get rained on etc...

I have seen more than a few dual points with repop tags sell to customers for big $ like 800 for a core that were definitely not as advertised with a new tag on them. To me that screams watch out.
Yea. Seems anything worth something is and always has some sort of copying. The trouble comes when they're passed off as the real thing. Stuff on the website is right in the gray zone for sure. Looks like top quality repairs and reproduction work - really beautiful - works of art. But if someone thinks its the real thing who is doing research of making a copy, or someone sells it claiming its an original....

Yea. Seems anything worth something is and always has some sort of copying. The trouble comes when they're passed off as the real thing. Stuff on the website is right in the gray zone for sure. Looks like top quality repairs and reproduction work - really beautiful - works of art. But if someone thinks its the real thing who is doing research of making a copy, or someone sells it claiming its an original....
Here's very nice collectible with its original Winchester made stock. But somewhere along the line either a collector or reenactor restamped it.
Winchester 6,508,480 - The Carbine Collector's Club - Page 1
Once the owner found out - it drove him crazy and went got another stock. :realcrazy: I'd say that is actuallymore common than not in many collecting circles. Some of us do it here with cars - others couldn't care less.

edit: Great quote from that thread "I don't think it was "faked" on purpose. Re-enactors wanted it to look more real. To them it was an enhancement. To them any old stamp will do."

The Furniture Doctor by a guy named Grotz humorously describes all sorts of ways unscrupulous people aged, "improved", and faked antique furniture. That book is probably 60 years old. Ironicly, nowadays the market for old furniture has dwindled...

Here's very nice collectible with its original Winchester made stock. But somewhere along the line either a collector or reenactor restamped it.
Winchester 6,508,480 - The Carbine Collector's Club - Page 1
Once the owner found out - it drove him crazy and went got another stock. :realcrazy: I'd say that is actuallymore common than not in many collecting circles. Some of us do it here with cars - others couldn't care less.

The Furniture Doctor by a guy named Grotz humorously describes all sorts of ways unscrupulous people aged, "improved", and faked antique furniture. That book is probably 60 years old. Ironicly, nowadays the market for old furniture has dwindled...

Internet both increases the ability to sell fakes and increases the information available to spot fakes

Buyer beware

Any word on hood? Tell your sweetie hello and apologies for not meeting her at MITP. I will be heading back down home with another trailer load.

Not a peep yet. I am trying not to think about it right now. I will work on the car tomorrow, don't need the hood with what is going on. I will tell her, but I know the answer will be...."i drove 1805 miles to get to WI, then 300 miles to get to MITP only to have John not show up"...:poke: In all serious, you are crazy busy, another time my friend.

IIRC Tucker also made some steam turbine prototypes. Also very cool, or hot.
Not finding anything in a quick web search. I'll have to find the article to see who made it. I'm pretty sure is with late 40s or 50s and the article was in American Heritage History oif Invention and Technology

Internet both increases the ability to sell fakes and increases the information available to spot fakes

Buyer beware
For sure.
And probably more people want something to look perfect than those that love the accumulated marks, scars and changes that speak to the object's history.
I've had more than one person ask about replacing the tail molding on my '67 Barracuda's trunk. Nope. In 1966 or 67 Pheonix Town and Country put their name on it and so its not going anywhere. It's now a part of the car's history along with the Bola Tie Society of Arizona sticker in the side window.

Says the guy who replaced the car's entire drivetrain and suspension. LOL

For sure.
And probably more people want something to look perfect than those that love the accumulated marks, scars and changes that speak to the object's history.
I've had more than one person ask about replacing the tail molding on my '67 Barracuda's trunk. Nope. In 1966 or 67 Pheonix Town and Country put their name on it and so its not going anywhere. It's now a part of the car's history along with the Bola Tie Society of Arizona sticker in the side window.

Says the guy who replaced the car's entire drivetrain and suspension. LOL

I love the scars and marks as well. Even in the house. Nothing is new. 120 year old cream brick house. What isn't decades old, I am changing back. Wrought iron, worn paint, etc. Stories. Even my Demon - True Mr Norms GSS, it has rough edges and will be covered in bugs at MITP.

-
Back