Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I had a colonoscopy done a few years ago and they found my cat eyed glass shooter that I swallowed at the age of 6 when Sammy Runk was trying to steal it. He was a bully but he didn't get my cat eyed shooter. It looked as good as new 51 years later!
:eek:

Not so weird. Some people like to remake contacts from their past and catch up. Sometimes it’s because they are looking to put their own life in perspective. I’ve gotten a few contacts like that on LinkedIn from people I worked with 20+ years ago. It usually winds up being a few emails, maybe a phone call and it’s done. I’ve gotten some from as far back as grade school too.
Hmm ok. Good. Just felt wierd is all

Hmm ok. Good. Just felt wierd is all
No reason to let it feel weird. Just embrace the chance to reconnect with someone from the past. Not really very different from going to a school reunion. Sometimes it’s nothing but a brief catch-up and sometimes it’s a chance to remake an old friendship. Neither of those is bad.

No reason to let it feel weird. Just embrace the chance to reconnect with someone from the past. Not really very different from going to a school reunion. Sometimes it’s nothing but a brief catch-up and sometimes it’s a chance to remake an old friendship. Neither of those is bad.
Hmm good points

I've always got old girlfriends contacting me.... Just to find out, what they missed out on..........:lol:

My neighbor is having a deck built. The contractor poured the concrete footers today in 34* weather and it’s going down to 27* tonight and will be below freezing overnight for the next 5 days. No tenting or heat control at all, not even fully backfilled around the concrete tubes.

Those footers are going to be useless piles of sand in the ground. I’m debating calling the building inspector and report it so my neighbor doesn’t have a disaster on his hands later after the deck is built. The guy has no clue about engineering and is trusting the contractor to do the right thing.

My neighbor is having a deck built. The contractor poured the concrete footers today in 34* weather and it’s going down to 27* tonight and will be below freezing overnight for the next 5 days. No tenting or heat control at all, not even fully backfilled around the concrete tubes.

Those footers are going to be useless piles of sand in the ground. I’m debating calling the building inspector and report it so my neighbor doesn’t have a disaster on his hands later after the deck is built. The guy has no clue about engineering and is trusting the contractor to do the right thing.
Good plan.
The weather dictates whether cement is heated, but near freezing i doubt it. And likely no additives for low temp curing either.
Any idea how its tested after curing?

Dave, many times the contractor will use a form of anti freeze in th mix, when it is cold outside. That said, I don't like it, because it makes the concrete more brittle. Ax me how I know......

It really depends on the mix, how it will turn out.

Good plan.
The weather dictates whether cement is heated, but near freezing i doubt it. And likely no additives for low temp curing either.
Any idea how its tested after curing?

It’s not tested at all by local code.

Dave, many times the contractor will use a form of anti freeze in th mix, when it is cold outside. That said, I don't like it, because it makes the concrete more brittle. Ax me how I know......

No antifreeze was used. Just straight water from a hose and bags of premix from the local Home Depot

It really depends on the mix, how it will turn out.
Just straight quikrete bags mixed in a blender with water.

It’s not tested at all by local code.

No antifreeze was used. Just straight water from a hose and bags of premix from the local Home Depot

Just straight quikrete bags mixed in a blender with water.
Will be a problem then. Did they at least add some portland to the mix?

They did nothing other than pour the bags into the mixer and add water from a hose.
At least they added water and mixed it I’ve heard of guys pouring mix in a hole and letting ground water finish the job.

Last edited:
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Some guys.....
Exactly why I have a concern. Although the deck is only 24” above grade, it isn’t going to be anchored to the house...so lateral movement with insufficient footers may cause it to collapse under load and people may get hurt.

I think I can’t just let this one pass in good conscious.

That Quick-Crete stuff is like 4 1/2 sack mix .. It will make enough heat to survive .. Be ok for footings .. One thing to remember about concrete .. Once it's set .. The longer you keep the water in it .. The better it cures .. Concrete test cylinders are cured in a tub of water at a specified temp for 28 days to make their design break strengths ..

That Quick-Crete stuff is like 4 1/2 sack mix .. It will make enough heat to survive .. Be ok for footings .. One thing to remember about concrete .. Once it's set .. The longer you keep the water in it .. The better it cures .. Concrete test cylinders are cured in a tub of water at a specified temp for 28 days to make their design break strengths ..
Maybe...and if it doesn’t, people may get hurt. They used it outside the manufacturers recommendations.

Are you saying that I should just ignore it and let a possible disaster happen?

If it is flirting with 0* when the concrete is placed, they use heated water to start the chemical reaction of the cement. 27* after the concrete has long been placed should not be a problem. The risers between the concrete and the deck will fail before the concrete does.

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

1469BC05-95E7-427B-8E65-92951A76FF36.jpeg

.drywall day at hoppys

How deep are the footings?
Personally . I maybe talk to the neighbor about it. And leave any decisions how to procede up to him.

-
Back