Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Not a lot of anything now days is durable like things used to be! I just don't believe in 40-50 years that there will be very many cars which are made today that will still be around to even restore unless they are stored inside during that time.
You’d be surprised. My SRT will be in better condition in 40 years than my ‘69 Dart was after 40 years. The modern cars are designed with 3x the service life that the old cars were.

I think the killer of the current generation of cars will be the electronics. Not just the ignition and fuel controls - because those can and are hot rodded and substituted - its the all the little unique things - just like on our cars but worse. They'll be great until they break, then they'll be hunting for p/n xyz123 used on 1.5 model years. Even on my '85 wagoneer there's stuff that's become very hard to get - even something as basic as a PCV valve connection hose, or the air injection hoses, never mind the electric switches and stuff.
An ‘85 vehicle is not a good example of the modern systems. Back then, even the PC was in its infancy and modern OS didn’t exist.

You’d be surprised. My SRT will be in better condition in 40 years than my ‘69 Dart was after 40 years. The modern cars are designed with 3x the service life that the old cars were.
Well that true. When I was a kid, cars with 100,000 miles on them were rare. Manufactures didn't plan on the service life that's common now. Between improvements in oils, machining and QC, in many ways they've come a long way.

I think the killer of the current generation of cars will be the electronics. Not just the ignition and fuel controls - because those can and are hot rodded and substituted - its the all the little unique things - just like on our cars but worse. They'll be great until they break, then they'll be hunting for p/n xyz123 used on 1.5 model years. Even on my '85 wagoneer there's stuff that's become very hard to get - even something as basic as a PCV valve connection hose, or the air injection hoses, never mind the electric switches and stuff.

I agree the electronics. But also, I just don't feel that they have the same quality steel in them that were in the cars of 40 or 50 years ago. Some few might have, but just seems like a lot are drive for 5 years or 10 and throw away.

An ‘85 vehicle is not a good example of the modern systems. Back then, even the PC was in its infancy and modern OS didn’t exist.
But parts availablility will be similar - especially on the lower volume vehicles. Even pollution and safety items, after X-number of years they don't have to have them available. If there's no profit, no incentive to make another production run.

Yes, with the soap on it. You may be very surprised. Only use it on the metal parts.
Got it. I was going to use plain steel wool or some fine emery on the rusty cone section. I'll do the SOS first. H'm I can't remember I have Brillo or SOS in the closet.

I agree the electronics. But also, I just don't feel that they have the same quality steel in them that were in the cars of 40 or 50 years ago. Some few might have, but just seems like a lot are drive for 5 years or 10 and throw away.
Actually, modern steel is far better since it is made with a high chromium content that resists corrosion 10x better than the vintage steel did. The average age of used cars is more than 3x older than it was 30 years ago as a result. Look around and tell me how many 10 year old+ cars are still on the road vs. 30 years ago.

My ‘06 SRT is 12 years old and has never been garage kept. I drove it daily year ‘round in all weather for over 10 years and beat the hell out of it. Underneath, it looks like it is 3 years old. Even with 10 years of driving in heavy Winter salt.

The past wasn’t better, modern technology is.

The steel is different. Not necessarily worse - many panels are as strong but weight less than their older counterparts. I think rust prevention is generally better overall. OTH, it seems we use a lot more salts and related products on the roads now. Maybe its just where I've lived.

Yes, newer stuff has hss and shss steels, some cars are built using boron steel sections, hydroformed frames sections etc. The new steels are brutally strong and have really high strength to weight ratios. Cars are also better engineered to collapse to absorb impact energy better to better protect the occupants.

Actually, modern steel is far better since it is made with a high chromium content that resists corrosion 10x better than the vintage steel did. The average age of used cars is more than 3x older than it was 30 years ago as a result. Look around and tell me how many 10 year old+ cars are still on the road vs. 30 years ago.

My ‘06 SRT is 12 years old and has never been garage kept. I drove it daily year ‘round in all weather for over 10 years and beat the hell out of it. Underneath, it looks like it is 3 years old. Even with 10 years of driving in heavy Winter salt.

The past wasn’t better, modern technology is.
I want to say that the average age of a car in the mid to late 70s was 7-8 years.
That number started creeping up in the 80s and dont' think has ever really reversed.

One difference is the technology of the 60s and 70s was noticibly different to the motoring public compared to earlier decades. Our cars are pretty good. For the most part, even the basic models will still accelerate fast enough, stop quick enough, have all the lights and signals, etc that are needed to blend into traffic even on an interstate. Very few 40 year old cars in 1980 would have been able to do that comfortably. I think that is part of what relegated most of them to occassional use or the junk yard more quickly. Oh sure there's the exception. There was a Civil engineering teacher that drove his Model A into Newark 3-4 days a week (this was mid 1980s). But that was all local roads - I'm sure he didn't use the freeway.

That said, not everyone feels safe in our cars. LOL. A fellow I know admitted not feeling safe in my car. I was puzzled, as I had tried to drive very civil and smooth - I usually do when there is a passenger. Further, I knew that he normally drives his GTI very fast and agressive, with or without passengers. Turns out it was the lack of air bags and cushioning foam structure etc all around.
Sigh. whatchagonna do

But I can't see that happening in my lifetime... I just can't.
When we were kids could we imagine microcomputers and cell phones as they are today? Who knows how things will evolve...
I'm actually a little concerned how fast self driving cars are hitting the public streets for testing. That was before the big oops. But the pressure is there. I don't think its for people like us.. more for delivery and taxi type services.

That said, not everyone feels safe in our cars. LOL. A fellow I know admitted not feeling safe in my car. I was puzzled, as I had tried to drive very civil and smooth - I usually do when there is a passenger. Further, I knew that he normally drives his GTI very fast and agressive, with or without passengers. Turns out it was the lack of air bags and cushioning foam structure etc all around.
Sigh. whatchagonna do
Wrap him up!
maxresdefault.jpg

When we were kids could we imagine microcomputers and cell phones as they are today? Who knows how things will evolve...
I'm actually a little concerned how fast self driving cars are hitting the public streets for testing. That was before the big oops. But the pressure is there. I don't think its for people like us.. more for delivery and taxi type services.

My daughter wants the self driving cars for everyone, especially when she sees someone driving down the wrong side of the road or running a red light or speeding. She will tell me... see mom if everyone had a self driving car that wouldn't happen! Not sure if she is typical of the 25 year old kids now days or not.

I want to say that the average age of a car in the mid to late 70s was 7-8 years.
That number started creeping up in the 80s and dont' think has ever really reversed.

One difference is the technology of the 60s and 70s was noticibly different to the motoring public compared to earlier decades. Our cars are pretty good. For the most part, even the basic models will still accelerate fast enough, stop quick enough, have all the lights and signals, etc that are needed to blend into traffic even on an interstate. Very few 40 year old cars in 1980 would have been able to do that comfortably. I think that is part of what relegated most of them to occassional use or the junk yard more quickly. Oh sure there's the exception. There was a Civil engineering teacher that drove his Model A into Newark 3-4 days a week (this was mid 1980s). But that was all local roads - I'm sure he didn't use the freeway.
The average age of a car on the road in the US is now 11.5 years old. In 1970 it was 5.6 years old. If “cash for clunkers” hadn’t happened, the average age would be closer to 13 years.

The average age of a car on the road in the US is now 11.5 years old. In 1970 it was 5.6 years old. If “cash for clunkers” hadn’t happened, the average age would be closer to 13 years.
Cash for clunkers.... lots of restorable cars were destroyed............ Uggghhhh. the cars that came through the dealer:BangHead: We couldn't touch them to save them.

Well, time to hit the hay... midnight here and have to be up at 7 to feed then shoot the dog. Then back to the garage to finish getting it ready. Been an enlightening evening with the convo here. Thank you! And good night :)

-
Back