Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well. I’m booked in for getting my ‘06 Charger SRT swapped from a 3.06 BLD diff to a Getrag 3.92 LSD and 1000 hp axles. New aluminum 2 piece driveshaft too. Should make her a complete beast on the street with 28% quicker acceleration.

I’ve wanted to do this since I first bought the car. Only about a month until the appointment...
Sounds like fun..

I got nuthin.
Tired. Long day.
Tires tomorrow,and thursday..
Need to get motivated and get transmission done.
Shop changes still need to be wrapped up. Adding a fan to my compressor cabinet,get air moving through it.

Came home from work, done some shoveling in the garage in prep for the concrete tomorrow morning, and then started tying the metal wire stuff together. Will finish tying it in the morning. Hopefully done before the concrete truck gets here!! (I am sure we will be because we have to be!)

And anyone tried that paint on chrome they have out now days? The video makes it look awesome and easy... but.... not exactly convinced.

Came home from work, done some shoveling in the garage in prep for the concrete tomorrow morning, and then started tying the metal wire stuff together. Will finish tying it in the morning. Hopefully done before the concrete truck gets here!! (I am sure we will be because we have to be!)

And anyone tried that paint on chrome they have out now days? The video makes it look awesome and easy... but.... not exactly convinced.
I have messed with the spray on type from a company called Alsa.

Paint on chrome sucks. The only way to do it right is to do it with electroplating.

That said, there are some new electroplating systems that use water based spray systems like Spectra-chrome that work reallly well and don’t require the nasty solutions that the old way did.

Paint on chrome sucks. The only way to do it right is to do it with electroplating.

That said, there are some new electroplating systems that use water based spray systems like Spectra-chrome that work reallly well and don’t require the nasty solutions that the old way did.
yep.

They are now making a brush on. Does the spray on look good when you are done?
You need a humidity controlled booth to pull it off with the spray on. If not, it can pull humidity and blush out like old school lacquer and look like a $5 can of aluminum paint. Done correctly IMHO still doesn't look anywhere close to chrome but it looks ok from 15 feet. It's not going to fool anybody. The products might have improved since then Idk. The electroplate process looks much nicer

Started training on the crane at work... I moved 49,000 lbs of metal in 5 hours....
Cranes is good :lol: Rule #1 If the lift doesn't look safe .. It probably isn't. Rule #2 Refer back to rule #1 .. We had a horn signal code between the operator and the oiler. Stripping a bridge we were. 45T hydro crane, pretty much ALL the boom out, operator picks up the load, signals me to drive, I drive, signals me to turn the rig right, I turn right, signals me to turn right again, not turning :wtf:, I look out my side window something doesn't look quite right, then I looked down. The load was so far from the rig my steer tires were about 4' off the ground. I bring the rig to a safe stop, operator starts honking the horn again, I don't move, again he honks, I honk back, he looks my way from the crane seat and sees my finger illustrating the added ground clearance we had acquired :rofl:

Another guy just tried to burn his car up with an 'upgrade' he didn't understand. :(
Hope he's got the interest and grit to get it figured out and then fix it...

Cranes is good :lol: Rule #1 If the lift doesn't look safe .. It probably isn't. Rule #2 Refer back to rule #1 .. We had a horn signal code between the operator and the oiler. Stripping a bridge we were. 45T hydro crane, pretty much ALL the boom out, operator picks up the load, signals me to drive, I drive, signals me to turn the rig right, I turn right, signals me to turn right again, not turning :wtf:, I look out my side window something doesn't look quite right, then I looked down. The load was so far from the rig my steer tires were about 4' off the ground. I bring the rig to a safe stop, operator starts honking the horn again, I don't move, again he honks, I honk back, he looks my way from the crane seat and sees my finger illustrating the added ground clearance we had acquired :rofl:
I’m pretty sure Karl is referring to an overhead gantry crane to move heavy objects around within a closed facility.

A very different animal from what you describe.

Another guy just tried to burn his car up with an 'upgrade' he didn't understand. :(
Hope he's got the interest and grit to get it figured out and then fix it...
Maybe. Then again, you can’t fix either stubborn or stupid.

You need a humidity controlled booth to pull it off with the spray on. If not, it can pull humidity and blush out like old school lacquer and look like a $5 can of aluminum paint. Done correctly IMHO still doesn't look anywhere close to chrome but it looks ok from 15 feet. It's not going to fool anybody. The products might have improved since then Idk. The electroplate process looks much nicer
but, are any of them even close in durability to old REAL chrome?

Did you get a chance to try to clean the mildew off your mirror?
Nothing since last night. I had already hit it with Spray9 and the glass with generic cleaner when I posted yesterday. Its not bad, but I want to do what you suggested. I'll should be able to pick up some 409 tomorrow.

IMG_7344.JPG

but, are any of them even close in durability to old REAL chrome?

Not a lot of anything now days is durable like things used to be! I just don't believe in 40-50 years that there will be very many cars which are made today that will still be around to even restore unless they are stored inside during that time.

The stem and could uses some touch up too. Perhaps a couple light coats of aluminum spray paint will it that brushed matte finish.

The stem and could uses some touch up too. Perhaps a couple light coats of aluminum spray paint will it that brushed matte finish.
Scrub the stem with an SOS pad. I think you will be surprised at the result.

Not a lot of anything now days is durable like things used to be! I just don't believe in 40-50 years that there will be very many cars which are made today that will still be around to even restore unless they are stored inside during that time.
I think the killer of the current generation of cars will be the electronics. Not just the ignition and fuel controls - because those can and are hot rodded and substituted - its the all the little unique things - just like on our cars but worse. They'll be great until they break, then they'll be hunting for p/n xyz123 used on 1.5 model years. Even on my '85 wagoneer there's stuff that's become very hard to get - even something as basic as a PCV valve connection hose, or the air injection hoses, never mind the electric switches and stuff.

-
Back