Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Chis!!! read his post again.....:BangHead:
I know, I'm talking about his truck. It's a diesel too

If I really try I can get that. Freakin smog crap on new diesels really robs the mileage.
I guess. wow. I average 19.5 highway with the 99 and 23 highway with the 05 1 ton. unloaded. Hauling a trailer with the 99 drops to as low as 15 with a 12,000 tractor plus trailer on it, 05 drops to just under 16 with the same tractor and trailer on it. Both have ZERO emissions and are straight piped, with mild programmers and double disc towing clutches but other than that, stock

I guess. wow. I average 19.5 highway with the 99 and 23 highway with the 05 1 ton. unloaded. Hauling a trailer with the 99 drops to as low as 15 with a 12,000 tractor plus trailer on it, 05 drops to just under 16 with the same tractor and trailer on it. Both have ZERO emissions and are straight piped, with mild programmers and double disc towing clutches but other than that, stock

My RAM 1500 will do 22 in the flatlands unloaded. Throw in a few mountain passes which are common in Ca and it drops to 18. Here to Phx is usually right at 20 for the entire trip.

I PM'D Hoppy about measurements and weight on his THREE machines. I must have miss understood and thought there were TWO only. It might still might be ok. My little trailer is 60 inches by 39 inches wide and 24 inch sides. 1500 lb Cap.

Last edited:
My RAM 1500 will do 22 in the flatlands unloaded. Throw in a few mountain passes which are common in Ca and it drops to 18. Here to Phx is usually right at 20 for the entire trip.
IF I set the cruise control on 60 MPH, might get 15MPG. I have a friend who has basically the same truck, with Smog crap deleted, He is an Native American, living on the reservation. He is exempt from "white mans laws" His words. 28 MPG all day long. And no issues. He told me he got 32 going normal speeds!!

IF I set the cruise control on 60 MPH, might get 15MPG. I have a friend who has basically the same truck, with Smog crap deleted, He is an Native American, living on the reservation. He is exempt from "white mans laws" His words. 28 MPG all day long. And no issues. He told me he got 32 going normal speeds!!
Not surprised.

do you have to run that DEF crap too?

do you have to run that DEF crap too?
Yes and it can be expensive to buy. Only way it is inexpensive is bulk at truck stops, at the pumps. Otherwise 25 dollars for 5 gallons. Truck hold about 10 gallons. No trailer it lasts a long time.

also, with certain tuners, you can shut that DPF system down. It wont hurt the engine at all. Only catch is you must have the right tuner and keep it so you can toggle it back on for emissions testing if required.

Yes and it can be expensive to buy. Only way it is inexpensive is bulk at truck stops, at the pumps. Otherwise 25 dollars for 5 gallons. Truck hold about 10 gallons. No trailer it lasts a long time.
see my next post

also, with certain tuners, you can shut that DPF system down. It wont hurt the engine at all. Only catch is you must have the right tuner and keep it so you can toggle it back on for emissions testing if required.
It voids the 100K warranty, and is very illegal. AND ford can tell you flashed the ECU. It has a key count, how many key cycles after a re-flash. No way not to get busted.

You turn off the DPF, you have to delete the DEF canister. It will plug with soot and cost about 10 grand to replace.

I would like to see the chemistry on how bird poop cleans up emissions :rofl:
How Diesel Exhaust Fluid Works:
When injected into the exhaust stream with a specialized dosing module, BlueDEF’s water vaporizes, leaving ammonia molecules en route to the catalytic converter; once there, it converts NOx molecules into harmless nitrogen and water vapor—making for cleaner emissions. Making sure you do not run out of BlueDEF® in an SCR equipped truck is simple – watch the DEF gauge, which is part of the diesel fuel gauge, for when it is time to refill. DEF is stored in a dedicated tank next to the fuel tank on the driver’s side. The tanks range in size from 6 to 23 gallons depending on the truck’s application.

The DEF tank fill opening is designed to accommodate a DEF fill nozzle to ensure only DEF is put into the tank. A diesel fuel nozzle will not fit into the DEF tank opening. Our patented closed liquid dispensing system provides everything you need to effectively dispense your BlueDEF®. For BlueDEF® to work well product integrity is critical, and our dispensing systems are the only way to maintain this quality. These reusable systems are also cost effective by providing a significant savings over single-use containers. BlueDEF® dispensing systems are available in configurations for fleets, retailers and commercial applications. BlueDEF® is key to helping improve fuel economy by up to five percent while simultaneously reducing exhaust emissions.

It voids the 100K warranty, and is very illegal. AND ford can tell you flashed the ECU. It has a key count, how many key cycles after a re-flash. No way not to get busted.
oh theres a way... Bosch P7100 series injection pump swap kit. eliminates the computer completely haha.

You turn off the DPF, you have to delete the DEF canister. It will plug with soot and cost about 10 grand to replace.
yep, most kits include a pipe to do just that

@Mopar Tim there is one other option that we experimented with when i worked for that diesel performance shop. The DPF SUCKS fuel as it used ignited diesel fuel to burn at above 600 degrees to essentially boil the DEF to clean the filter. You can run a secondary fuel tank and plumb it to you DPF but we concluded since you'd be filling it full of diesel regardless, there was little point other than extending your primary driving tank range.

oh theres a way... Bosch P7100 series injection pump swap kit. eliminates the computer completely haha.

yep, most kits include a pipe to do just that
You think I should delete the smog stuff on a new 90 Grand Truck? See no problems with that? Well I sure see issues...:rofl:

You think I should delete the smog stuff on a new 90 Grand Truck? See no problems with that? Well I sure see issues...:rofl:
yep. I would. Only cause at that point, if I could afford the 90,000 truck, I'd buy land instead haha. No offense, but I cannot justify that kind of money for a truck. Course I use a truck as they were originally intended and we're hard on them.

@Mopar Tim there is one other option that we experimented with when i worked for that diesel performance shop. The DPF SUCKS fuel as it used ignited diesel fuel to burn at above 600 degrees to essentially boil the DEF to clean the filter. You can run a secondary fuel tank and plumb it to you DPF but we concluded since you'd be filling it full of diesel regardless, there was little point other than extending your primary driving tank range.
The new Cummins will not use a DEF or a soot canister. And no EGR. All smog will be handled in the engine itself. 20MPG towing will be possible.

yep. I would. Only cause at that point, if I could afford the 90,000 truck, I'd buy land instead haha. No offense, but I cannot justify that kind of money for a truck. Course I use a truck as they were originally intended and we're hard on them.
It is still against the law here.

The new Cummins will not use a DEF or a soot canister. And no EGR. All smog will be handled in the engine itself. 20MPG towing will be possible.
Yep. I know. I did the CAD drawings during R&D on it last year. Sad part is, even the 6.7 cummins truly didnt need a DPF or DEF. Emissions levels were right on the line for the allowed limit so cummins went ahead and added that stuff to be safe.

-
Back