Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
How would you tell the drivetrain is low miles. I pulled the breather and from what I can tell no sludge at all. All the boxes/relays are factory though. Really makes a price difference selling it.

I would think if you pulled the valve cover off the engine, the trans pan from the trans, and the inspection plate from the rear axle (7 1/4" I would think), that it should be very clean inside and you shouldn't see very much wear on the gears etc....

I would think the rearend would tell the story :thumbsup:

I say the same thing about women.... :D

tightass.jpg

Planed on doing that and change the fluid. I have to get the undercoat off the bottom actually flaking off and clean meatal under it so far and no "dirt" buildup on it either. The cover also has a blue paint mark on it.

Get a picture of the blue paint mark on the axle cover... If it's paint marker, it could have been for a verified inspection at that time...

If there is a quality issue, the supplier has to certify parts and mark the "good" parts somehow... Many times they put a dot or slash with a paint marker to show that it was inspected for the defect and it was not found on that part... All good parts have to be marked....

Or it could have been an inspection on the assembly line when it was made....

One more thing Hopes, pull the rear wheels off and see how clean the seal area is on the backing plates , if it just has 6 grand on them it all will look like new.. jmo

Planed on doing that and change the fluid. I have to get the undercoat off the bottom actually flaking off and clean meatal under it so far and no "dirt" buildup on it either. The cover also has a blue paint mark on it.

If the rear brakes have never been off, there should be that flat washer (pal nut I think they are called) that holds the rear drums on the axles... The factory used them to hold the rear drums on, when you remove the drums on a virgin car, you have to break off those pal nuts with a side cutter....

If it is truely a 6 k mile car, they shouldn't have done any rear brakes yet....

Ok then, cancel the comment above.... ^^^^^^
That's a bummer and odd.
a) A 6K car should have no need to change shoes and it would have been cool to see the original markings if it was a 6 k car.
b) Odd because who the hell changes brakes for the heck of it. Check 'em, adjust 'em, and leave 'em unless something is bad or worn.

That's a bummer and odd.
a) A 6K car should have no need to change shoes and it would have been cool to see the original markings if it was a 6 k car.
b) Odd because who the hell changes brakes for the heck of it. Check 'em, adjust 'em, and leave 'em unless something is bad or worn.
Yep. I am actually running the rear shoes that came on my car when I got it. Rust everywhere, wire wheel and paint everything, new cylinders, new springs. But kept the shoes. LOL. IIRC the last inspection was 1997. So they are over 20 years...

That's a bummer and odd.
perhaps someone rode the brakes or a wheel cylinder went bad etc. I had a caliber hang on my jeep right after i bought it, ate through the left front pads over half way in just 60 miles.

perhaps someone rode the brakes or a wheel cylinder went bad etc. I had a caliber hang on my jeep right after i bought it, ate through the left front pads over half way in just 60 miles.
There could be a plausible explanation for almost ANYTHING. But if you are going to base a pricetag on miles you need something pretty solid to back it up. That's why I asked earlier what records he has. I am assuming the 6K is the odometer read? If so, it is really a question of 6 or 106. The car looks like somewhere in between. Without strong evidence for a changed odometer, we assume it is one ore the other. So, is it a little roughed up for the lower or is it a really nice 106. Mine has near 75K and I had the same questions of was it rolled over. I have a few oil change notations with mileage from the 1990s to support that it is original miles. the Engine actually looked too good inside for 75K, (could still see honing marks on the walls and the crank bearings were all in spec)but why would a slant be rebuilt below that mileage. You just don't know what you don't know....

Last edited:
There could be a plausible explanation for almost ANYTHING. But if you are going to base a pricetag on miles you need something pretty solid to back it up. That's why I asked earlier what records he has. I am assuming the 6K is the odometer read? If so, it is really a question of 6 or 106. The car looks like somewhere in between. Without strong evidence for a changed odometer, we assume it is one ore the other. So, is it a little roughed up for the lower or is it a really nice 106. Mine has near 75K and I had the same questions of was it rolled over. I have a few oil change notations with mileage from the 1990s to support that it is original miles. the Engine actually looked too good inside for 75K, (could still see honing marks on the walls and the crank bearings were all in spec)but why would a slant be rebuilt below that mileage. You just don't know what you don't know....
yeah agreed

Pedal pad wear, carpet pad wear, steering wheel wear are all good indicators of miles. Heck even the upper door paint on the inside can be an indicator. My Swinger was sold to me as a 36,000 mile original. I was skeptical especially with the patched drivers side carpet but all indications look like the original miles right down to the original valve cover gaskets when I replaced them. Oh, it has the original exhaust crossover on it. It was split to make duals by the previous owner.

031 (3).jpg

I am headed out so I won't get to talk to you much here. Have a great day. I may get on later.

So... My 340 Duster Customer showed up here at Noon to take a look and hang out, while I worked on his car....:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

-
Back