Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Vacuum advance ain't hooked up.. Just sayin'

We aren't worried about that yet... It hasn't run for more than 3 minutes in close to a decade...

Baby steps... We were glad to get it started and let it run for 15 - 20 minutes...

There are a few things that need to be fixed... Exhaust manifold leaks at the flange... And it could use a good clean up...

The carbs were brand new about 8 years ago and we haven't been able to get it to run long enough to tune them in... We also replaced the gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and all lines from the pump to the carbs.... (we're saving the originals....)

We want to get her running for a bit, then get it tuned in...

The Roadrunner seems a bit “Super”...

Yes, it is...

The last time it was out was to do a parade lap around Talledega back in 1988 with the Winged Warrior car club...

DSC08065 B.JPG

Snow didnt stick:thumbsup:
Its clear but cold outside.
No plans for today,guy may be coming to refill a/c in jeep-then i can finish the job and close the bill.

Mines a 74 Dart and T5 sierra metallic.

View attachment 1715227020

I had a 74 Valiant identical to that once... Metallic brown/or maroonish with tan cloth interior... Very plush...

It was a 318 car that my friend bought a 76 Fury off the guy and he asked if we knew anybody that would be interested in a Valiant that didn't run.. The guy took the pass side head off the engine without removing the intake???? :wtf:

I bought it and cleaned the cylinders with a wire wheel on a drill and had a valve job done... Got her running and my friend that bought the Fury wanted it for a back up car, so I sold it to him... :steering:

When I bought it, I kept it and worked on it at my his apartment so the wife did not know about it as we were going through our divorce then... :mad:

Our Valiant was the same color as yours with the cream/tan vinyl top also... The twin to yours... :thumbsup:

Building a 340 to a 513 big cam, alum heads etc. What would you curve the distrib to stock or a bit more total?

Karl did a guy Ed get in touch with you?

Hey Ray, we got the 440 started in the bird that you did the distributor on.... :thumbsup:

We got her running for about 15 - 20 minutes yesterday.... That's the longest we've been able to get it running for since we inherited it... We've struggled to get it running enough to set the timing in the past... I think it was the Mallory distributor that we had in it... I didn' t like the way that I could rock the distributor cap on the Mallory... It didn't seem stable to me... The original distributor runs more consistent now...

Now we need to run it some more and tune it in... We just ran it and set the timing to 35° at 2500 RPM yesterday... The initial is at 20° right now at about 850 RPM...

The alternator is discharging, so we need to bring it to a local alternator shop that does a good job rebuilding them... :steering:

Then chase t he little items, like one of the high beams is burnt out and the pass front marker light is burnt out also... Then find any other things that have stopped working during it's storage... :popcorn:

We'll get her done over time... :steering:

Building a 340 to a 513 big cam, alum heads etc. What would you curve the distrib to stock or a bit more total?

With a big cam, you need to see where you can get it to idle and make sure the advance doesn't kick in before that...

If I remember correctly, Eddie's 340 in his Dart liked 17° initial and 34° total... We were able to get his to idle at 800 RPM... So you may want it to be similar or a little later to kick in... The cam in his is a little milder than the 513...

My 68 340 Barracuda also liked 17° initial and 34° total with a 484/284 cam... I was able to get that one to idle at 800 RPM with Rhoades variable duration lifters... That's a bigger cam than Eddie's...

I would say to get it started first and see where he can get it to idle so you know where to set the curve to kick in... That may idle at 1000 RPM with that much cam, but can't tell for sure until you get it running...

Last edited:
Save the air in the tires it is vintage!

Save gas, fart in a jar.... :rolleyes:

Maybe I can save some of the original tire air in a jar also...

Actually the tires have been replaced...

Dad had keystone classic rims with BFG T/A tires installed when we first got it as it had very wide Centerline rims on the rear with 50 series tires and different rims on the front with 60 series tires when we bought it from the original owner... Then later on dad bought a set of reproduction Goodyear tires and ralley rims to return it to stock look...

He kind of has a mess going, pretty much thinking the same thing. He sent a guy a distrib (IBS) and it came back with a different case etc. He did add a petronix though. Anyhow he got screwed bought another core and I am doing it with the conversion and the best parts from both, thinking just bumping up the mech which is 16 at the crank now to 20 and leave the vac alone. 16 crank. He is asking me I am not that guy since he has no idea how it runs yet.

Morning to the Happy Club.....have my cup of Happy and awaiting the morning.:D
Karl has a SB?? Didn't know..cool!!!

-
Back