Street\Strip 408..Boiling it all down

-
JImmyRay, the most lift I myself have done with the HD Hyd. rockers from MP is a poualtry .509.
I think some tuning effort on the suspension and engine will get the job done.

Nice job Ace26. What size tire?

I've built a few of these. My suggestions are a few..
first, if this is a pump gas engine and vacuum is no concern, but on track performance is...
Why not make use of all the right stuff? You need main studs, you dont need head studs. PLus, they complicate things. Use a good set of ARP bolts. Second, the 4.10s will let the engine pull past 5500 at the stripe. The stock RPMs with a 4" stroke and 240° @ .050 will not. The convertor should be an 8" unit as tight as possible with a flash stall of 4000. I owuld call Lenny at Ultimate Convertor, or PTC. Money needs to be spent on the convertor. The carb should be at least 900cfm if it's measured like the std 750-800 4150 series Holleys. My build would be like this:
-Flat top forged pistons, set to zero deck. This yields a static ratio of 11.8:1 compression.
-Oil system only needs to be a stock pan and a scraper, no windage tray needed.
-Heads will need to be checked and corrected, and the springs will need replacing.
-Cam would be flat tappet solid, something similar to the XTQ281S-6. That is 252 int, 262 exh @.050 durations, at around .550 lift.
-The Air Gap is a good all purpose intake. But the stock ports and long stroke can use a single plane very well. I'd use an M1 Single plane port matched to the heads.
-Main caps need Studs. Oil system Should me modified (main passage enlarged)
-The carb would be a Street Avenger 870DP or Holley HP930.
-MSD is the ignition of choice. If you are stuck on MP, use the chrome box.

That's how I'd do it.

I'm using summit brand headers,i think they cost about $120 1 5/8 tubes and they fit great and even have decent ground clearance.The comp is around 10.5 the exhaust is 2 1/2 all the way out the back with dynomax ultra flo's.Tire size is only 245/60/15.Intakes edel air gap.This is a mostly street driven car so i imagine if i did a few things to it mid to high 11's wouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion Moper....couple of questions??

What should I have checked on the eddy heads...they will be new? Chamber size? You said replace the springs......so the springs which come with the new heads will not be sufficient, correct?

Thanks.

All aftermarket heads as boxed from the manufacturer have issues. They are assembly line machined and assembled. So defects are common. Edelbrocks suffer most from too-tight guides. I've also seen seats out of round, a completely wrong spring in a Pontiac head, and the surface for the head gasket is good for some gaskets, not smooth enough for Cometics. Chamber sizes are usually good. So all heads should be checked by a good head shop. The springs they include are general purpose single with dampners. The modern fast rate cams of any size will require new springs, and care needs to be taken to make sure the retainers will work with your choice of spring.

The oil system mods can be found in any number of books on building small block mopars. Szylagi's is easy to find and I believe it has it in there. It's enlarging the oil passages from the lifter galley to each main saddle from stock to 9/32. I actually go to 5/16 because that's the size of the feed hole in the upper bearing shell.

-
Back