stroker distributor questions

-
No MSD distributors use different diameter bushings to limit the mechanical advance and they have one that is totally electronic with pots to adjust the advance and rate. You will have to dial it in but I would not call that modifing it. For the most part any aftermarket distributor that is adjustable will be set up for a close to stock motor and require some adjustment to get it right for your set up.

One of the advantages with most of the distributors from MSD, Mallory, Accell, Pertronix, etc is they have a self contained electronic module. You do not need an external box like the orange or chrome mopar modules. This is also a disadvantage in that if they happen to fail parts aren't readily available like an all mopar system.Even the billet unit I posted a picture of uses the same pickup as a stock distributor so it's available at the local parts store.

Also the stock looking MP distributor with the vacuum advance has the same adjustable Mallory mechanism as the billet unit.

Agreed, i had the Mallory built MP adj. dizzy with vacuum pod, you can either run the pod or not, its your choice, it was a nice piece, much better then the "run of the mill" MP kits, that MSD dizzy you spoke of i ordered just the other day, it looks like a decent unit "i hope".

"Locked out" means just that, the timing is locked!!

i spoke with mancini this am, and asked about the billet adjustable mopar unit. the answer i got was that that dist. wont operate with the standard mopar orange or chrome box. I dont remember what they said, but its either a mallory or an accel dist, and needs the appropriate box. I went ahead and ordered the MSD dist and 6AL setup. Move on to the next problem!

i spoke with mancini this am, and asked about the billet adjustable mopar unit. the answer i got was that that dist. wont operate with the standard mopar orange or chrome box. I dont remember what they said, but its either a mallory or an accel dist, and needs the appropriate box. I went ahead and ordered the MSD dist and 6AL setup. Move on to the next problem!

Good.

Now on to tayloring the curve/setting initial & limiting the mech advance.

I'd start with 1 blue spring and 1 silver spring, then take a small 1/4 nut and grind it to be the same width across as the black bushing that comes with the MSD distributor but leave it longer the other way as to take up some more of the slot. From there you just check the mechanical advance with a timing light [dial back style prefer'd] grinding the length of the nut to the desired amount of mechanical advance you want.
The more you grind from the length, the more mechanical advance you'll get.

Just gonna get signed up on this thread for in the future.. Looks like some of us are learning a few things about the differences in distributors and the info is about to get good on curving one like you want too :D

To save on extra crap that is not needed and a lot of grief, I bought a custom billet GM HEI ignition setup for my stroker.

Why? It's completely self-contained. No ignition box, no separate coil.
Hook up the wires and go. 50,000 volts and fires reliably at far higher rpms than most anyone here will ever reach with hardly any maintenance.

there is also another version of it with just an external coil for those with firewall clearance issues.

both setups cost under 100 bucks. They come with vac advance if you need it (if not, remove it), and will remove all the unnecessary clutter for those seeking a clean engine compartment while eliminating unnecessary points of failure.

To save on extra crap that is not needed and a lot of grief, I bought a custom billet GM HEI ignition setup for my stroker.

Hook up the wires and go. 50,000 volts and fires reliably at far higher rpms than most anyone here will ever reach with hardly any maintenance.

there is also another version of it with just an external coil for those with firewall clearance issues.

both setups cost under 100 bucks. They come with vac advance if you need it (if not, remove it), and will remove all the unnecessary clutter for those seeking a clean engine compartment while eliminating unnecessary points of failure.

Seen this personally on a 440 and can tell you you will have to clearance the head on eddies for the fat base to fit

Never had any grief from my MSD stuff, it'll handle all the rpm nascar can throw at it.

You must be talking about the pro comp distributors like the ones on e bay.

Otherwise the dui setup's r $$$.

As long as it gets the job done, right?

POS,

Where did you get it?? Got a link or any pictures. I know you like pic's!

Does it have a REV LIMITER build in also?

POS,

Where did you get it?? Got a link or any pictures. I know you like pic's!

Does it have a REV LIMITER build in also?

I bought it off ebay from the same place that supplied those valve covers and breathers I linked you to...that are also awesome.

Here is the external coil HEI with vac advance...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and here is the GM fully self contained HEI that you may want to check firewall clearance for. Fits the POS Dakota no problemo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414e0fc9ec

I have used the fully self contained unit for years, and I have to say I have never had a problem with them. Doesnt matter where it comes from.
As long as it is a GM HEI unit, it uses the same design coil, the same design module and the same cap and rotor that can be found at any parts store.

I like them because like I said they make for a much simpler and cleaner installation and you dont have to have an msd box, or a coil. It's all in there.

The one thing is they dont rev limit. But there are rev limiters I am sure that can be had for cheap that will work with it. Especially since there are so many of these in use on GM vehicles, it's disgusting.

Seen this personally on a 440 and can tell you you will have to clearance the head on eddies for the fat base to fit

I saw a thread about this on moparts I believe.
I think the thread I saw, the guy did a slight amount of grinding to remedy it.

On the other hand I also posted a unit that has the internal module and the external coil which WILL clear for those with clearance problems.

Sorry, I wasnt thinking in the big block context.
But the external coil unit is the solution.

Never had any grief from my MSD stuff, it'll handle all the rpm nascar can throw at it.

You must be talking about the pro comp distributors like the ones on e bay.

Otherwise the dui setup's r $$$.

As long as it gets the job done, right?

I lost an msd box once, but that doesnt imply MSD is ****.
It's a proven product. No doubt.

And MSD does also make a self contained unit too, albeit without the internal coil I think. but it's a lot more money than an HEI.

I like the HEI unit mainly because the spark is extremely strong, and it doesnt require anything else to run. it's also a nice clean looking unit and the price flat out rocks. Quality is not an issue either. They are pretty darned good.

I'm not a particular brand loyalist. I'm a hotrodder, so I like to use the best parts I can find from each brand as long as they work.

after ordering the MSD pro billet #8534 a friend of mine asked why i didnt order the Digital e-curve#8504. If i am correct, it looks like a nice stand alone adjustable unit, but does it have the multi spark feature? i assumed not, and went with the #8534, and 6AL box

Good.

Now on to tayloring the curve/setting initial & limiting the mech advance.

I'd start with 1 blue spring and 1 silver spring, then take a small 1/4 nut and grind it to be the same width across as the black bushing that comes with the MSD distributor but leave it longer the other way as to take up some more of the slot. From there you just check the mechanical advance with a timing light [dial back style prefer'd] grinding the length of the nut to the desired amount of mechanical advance you want.
The more you grind from the length, the more mechanical advance you'll get.
Are these modifications spelled out in the distructions? or is this trial and error. i assume MSD will give you some sort of guideline or tips to get you where it needs to be?

Whom ever you spoke to is full of it, yes it's made by Mallory as is the MP vacuum advance unit. The billet unit I posted a picture of uses a standard mopar pick up and the one in the picture was used with an orange ecu until it failed then ran with a stock ecu unit I picked up an MSD 6 CDI box. I used it for about two years but want a vacuum advance and swapped in an MP vacuum advance distributor.

Whom ever you spoke to is full of it, yes it's made by Mallory as is the MP vacuum advance unit. The billet unit I posted a picture of uses a standard mopar pick up and the one in the picture was used with an orange ecu until it failed then ran with a stock ecu unit I picked up an MSD 6 CDI box. I used it for about two years but want a vacuum advance and swapped in an MP vacuum advance distributor.
well thats kind of what i thought, but i made the decision to bite the bullit and go with the MSD. Ya know what they say, "dont believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see" sometimes you have to wonder about some of those phone tech's. Thats "if" you can get them to talk to you! I think in the long run the MSD will be the way to go

well thats kind of what i thought, but i made the decision to bite the bullit and go with the MSD. Ya know what they say, "dont believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see" sometimes you have to wonder about some of those phone tech's. Thats "if" you can get them to talk to you! I think in the long run the MSD will be the way to go

Well I don't think you will be disappointed with MSD, good stuff.

No MSD distributors use different diameter bushings to limit the mechanical advance and they have one that is totally electronic with pots to adjust the advance and rate. You will have to dial it in but I would not call that modifing it. For the most part any aftermarket distributor that is adjustable will be set up for a close to stock motor and require some adjustment to get it right for your set up.

Perhaps none of the current MSD distributors use bushings to limit advance however the one I am using does use bushings. Attached are the cover sheet and page 5 of the manual (showing the different bushings).

Yes - it is old!

Kory

MSD Cover.JPG

MSD Page5.JPG

Perhaps none of the current MSD distributors use bushings to limit advance however the one I am using does use bushings. Attached are the cover sheet and page 5 of the manual (showing the different bushings).

Yes - it is old!

Kory

He meant to say, ''NO, msd distributors come with bushings to limit the mechanical advance''

He forgot the comma after ''No''

MSD distributors come with advance bushings.

I run the pro billet too.
No problems.
I have mine set to give 8* mechanical advance.
I made my own bushing.

He meant to say, ''NO, msd distributors come with bushings to limit the mechanical advance''

No problems.
I made my own bushing.
thats good to know, i just got my MSD today and read through the manual that gives the spring advance rates and the bushing limits. My first thought was to make your own bushings if you cant get to where you need to be. Does MSD offer any other springs or bushings you know of? if not i think you could get there pretty easy.

Yes - it is old!

Kory

pro billet uses bushing limiters

No problems.
I made my own bushing.

dang i need the same bushing

Opps! thanks for clarifing that. Grammer was never my strong suit and I looked at that post a dozen times and didn't pick on the fact that I left off the comma. I will fix it.

I run my distributor at 34 degrees locked, as in no mechanical timing, and it starts right up hot or cold no problem. I had to run it locked due to 108 LSA cam and 2500 stall converter. It surged in gear when I had it at 21 initial and 34 total. 10.3:1 compression eddie heads stroker small block. Drives nice, smooth, and quiet at low rpms too. Oh, and its a Mallory Unilite very easy to lock or set the curve any way you want. No external box either.

I run my distributor at 34 degrees locked, as in no mechanical timing, and it starts right up hot or cold no problem. I had to run it locked due to 108 LSA cam and 2500 stall converter. It surged in gear when I had it at 21 initial and 34 total. 10.3:1 compression eddie heads stroker small block. Drives nice, smooth, and quiet at low rpms too. Oh, and its a Mallory Unilite very easy to lock or set the curve any way you want. No external box either.

340sFastback,

I have often wondered about the surging - I have the problem (especially when cold)... can you tell me a bit more about what causes this? Did you have the surging when it was warmed up?

Thanks,
Kory

-
Back