STRUT ROD BUSHING ADVICE NEEDED

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am working on a '71 Demon with K/H and a swaybar. I just purchased a MOOG K7040 strut rod bushing kit from Rock auto. This kit has 2 piece bushings. I just want to confirm how the large concave washers are supposed to be in stalled. On the washer, is says to put the convex (bulge) side of the washer against the rubber. Is this so?

Also, how tight do you tighten the nut against the washer as the bushing gets compressed.

Thanks

Hi Folks

I am working on a '71 Demon with K/H and a swaybar. I just purchased a MOOG K7040 strut rod bushing kit from Rock auto. This kit has 2 piece bushings. I just want to confirm how the large concave washers are supposed to be in stalled. On the washer, is says to put the convex (bulge) side of the washer against the rubber. Is this so?

Also, how tight do you tighten the nut against the washer as the bushing gets compressed.

Thanks
I had the same issue. I installed them backwards and had to take them out and start over huge pita. I can't remember which way is the correct way now let me look i had a thread in here about it

72bluNblu explained the reasoning to have the cup facing away from the bushing: "The cupped washer faces the direction it’s labeled. The goal isn’t to cup the bushing, it’s to have a curved surface for the strut rod to pivot on to reduce binding. If the cup faced the bushing the bushing would tend to resist the up and down movement of the strut rod."

WOW That's a lot of popcorn Steve!

Last edited:
Most aftermarket kits have the washers go on the opposite way of the stock factory stuff. Do what the kit says to do.

72bluNblu explained the reasoning to have the cup facing away from the bushing: "The cupped washer faces the direction it’s labeled. The goal isn’t to cup the bushing, it’s to have a curved surface for the strut rod to pivot on to reduce binding. If the cup faced the bushing the bushing would tend to resist the up and down movement of the strut rod."
This makes the most sense to me no matter what any manual says.

Heres torques from 69 Plymouth FSM

20210605_172213.jpg

-
Back