Strut rod interchange

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I am building a front k frame and suspension for a 65 Valiant that I bought. The previous owner removed all of this and threw it away because he was going with a straight axle and motor plate, so I have nothing from the 65. I do have a 66 Valiant that is providing the k frame, torsion bars, steering box and linkages, but someone torched the lower control arms and the struts. I have a set of 73 BBP disc brakes, complete upper, lower, and everything in between that I am rebuilding to put on this car. What I don’t have is a set of struts. Will the struts off of a 73 and up car work or will it have to be a 64-66 a body only. I am thinking it is the 64-66 only but can’t confirm.

I believe the only difference is the threads on the front end of them, maybe the bushing too. Should be fine.

I have compared the early A strut rods to the 67-72 and IIRC the early A’s were not as long as the later 67-72. Never had a 73-76 to compare.

So it sounds like I need the early A body struts.

So it sounds like I need the early A body struts.

I believe I have an extra set already painted with the correctly finished hardware (per Ulf - 65dartcharger) if you're interested.

Whdn I updated to disk brakes, I sourced everything from a `75 Dart, including the strut rods. They work just fine.

When you do install them, consider the Moog "improved" strut-rod bushings. They are much easier to install and don't have the "sheet-metal cuts thru rubber" problem. Cost is nominal. See rockauto. I also vaguely recall seeing after-market strut rods which are adjustable to allow more caster for today's radial tires.

When you do install them, consider the Moog "improved" strut-rod bushings. They are much easier to install and don't have the "sheet-metal cuts thru rubber" problem. Cost is nominal. See rockauto. I also vaguely recall seeing after-market strut rods which are adjustable to allow more caster for today's radial tires.
Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to have a part number?

Not sure why your not seeing the PN's on rockauto, or perhaps you mistake us for baby-sitters. Took me 15 sec to see this

strut bushing.jpg
:

I have compared the early A strut rods to the 67-72 and IIRC the early A’s were not as long as the later 67-72. Never had a 73-76 to compare.
According to the Mopar parts manual, Strut rods are the same part number 1962 Valiant/Lancer, and 1973 Valiant/Dart. Item number 2-10-58, part number 2071 417. 1973 is the newest manual I have. I didn't check every year in between, checked several, and same part number. I think it is safe to say "same strut rod, 1962 thru 1973", and probably all "A" bodies

Last edited:
Have a 1966 valiant and went with disc brakes from a 1968 barracuda and were same upper control arms and struts were same length

if u have the parts u say. ( rase any mopar on lift loosen all front end parts for real let hang car off ground . then tighten all then get a alignment. prove me wrong. please.

the parts all will as mopar that was the way done new. but raise up loosen all off. let hang. then tighten all . send to a align ment shop that has done this 4 years .

-
Back