stuck lifters!!????

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I soaked the pistons and lifters for weeks with everything except skunk pee, finally drove out the pistons, was able to drive the lifters off the cam with a big screwdriver, except ONE lifter. and, I cannot budge the lifters out of the bores. afraid to put the torch on them.??? 273 solid lifter engine. pics attached/ !! the cyl bores are really clean would ya believe?
any advice!??

scratch the pics they want resize. i'm puter stupid. pic the valley FULL of seat stuffing, rat poop and pee.

Attachments

• 100_1422.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_1421.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 337
Scrape every bit of the crud out to keep it from pulling the penetrant away from the lifters, and keep soaking. Put engine on its back and pull off cam plate and then pry out the front oil gallery plugs and run penetrant down the oil galleries repeatedly.

Use the screwdriver and a small ball peen slowly to work the lifters back and forth. Maybe pull crank and get to the bottom of that one lifter to get it to move (the front one I presume). Yeah, I would not apply the torch; I would think the upper parts of the lifter bore casting might crack. The condition of the lifter bores is going to be interesting...

WOW

Soak them in some sort of penetrant including thinner.

If worst comes to worst, and you can move them, work them up as far as you can, turn it upside down, and pull the cam. Then you can drive them out towards the crank.

Too bad you are at the other end of the world. I have a 273 needs rebuild I'd let you have cheap LOL

Try spraying some Aero-kroil on it, keep soaking it each day, within a week it should come out.

Looks familiar, been there.....put a screw driver blade between lifter and cam lobe and try to wedge, or go from the back side of the lifter and use punch and hammer, be VERY liberal with PB Blaster, Kroil, etc. Just try to get it to move just a little bit, tap it back down, keep working it back and forth, it will come out. It's called patience.

Good luck!

If Kano Kroil has the same formula it did in the 1980's, that was the absolute best penetrating oil I have ever used. I watched my old man un-seize an engine using a mixture of Kroil and ATF soaking in the cylinders for about 2 weeks once upon a time. The engine ran smooth and didn't even smoke out the exhaust, one of the craziest things I've seen. If you could seal up the holes in the lifter valley and pour a large can of Kroil in there topped off with ATF and let it soak for about a week I bet it makes this easier.

Kroil is the super man of skunk pee.

I soaked the pistons and lifters for weeks with everything except skunk pee, finally drove out the pistons, was able to drive the lifters off the cam with a big screwdriver, except ONE lifter. and, I cannot budge the lifters out of the bores. afraid to put the torch on them.??? 273 solid lifter engine. pics attached/ !! the cyl bores are really clean would ya believe?
any advice!??

scratch the pics they want resize. i'm puter stupid. pic the valley FULL of seat stuffing, rat poop and pee.

Ha ha ha ha, that is the best joke I have read in a long while!!!!
:blob::blob::blob::blob:

There was an ice that joke where the guy starts a thread with....

So I was thinking my wife is cheating on me so I followed her around. While I spied on her and her boyfriend walking into a motel, I was noticing the rust at the rear of my Cuda I was hiding behind. How do I take car of this rust issue before it spreads?

The whole process isn't worth the hassle. I have a feeling the lifter bores will be rough and corroded. You can hone them but all you get it loose lifters. If they don't spin freely, you'll wipe out a cam easily.

Dunk the whole thing in a 55 gal drum of molasses for a month

True, the simplest things work.

Remember last year when thieves broke in a syrup warehouse in Canada and stole like millions of dollars worth of maple syrup?

WTF would you do with that much syrup?

Well, sell it to an under cover syrup agent of coarse, and get more time in jail than a murderer.

The whole process isn't worth the hassle. I have a feeling the lifter bores will be rough and corroded. You can hone them but all you get it loose lifters. If they don't spin freely, you'll wipe out a cam easily.

So he can bush them and run a roller.

Scrap it and get a 5.9 Magnum.

Well, I would air it off and clean as much muck as you can. Soak everything in ATF, get the cheap stuff at walmart. Cheapest option unless you want to try diesel.

True, the simplest things work.

Remember last year when thieves broke in a syrup warehouse in Canada and stole like millions of dollars worth of maple syrup?

WTF would you do with that much syrup?

New drug trade maybe?

If you could get it back together enough to start you could rev the
" piss " out of it.

I'd drop the pan and head to the nearest car wash if I had
no other choice of an engine to build.

thank s for all the comments! buddy gave me the engine as we pulled it to get to the trans. yep, I did clean all the " stuff" off it before soaking, ( just had to send pics showing the crap!)... mixture of atf and acetone, right on down to nut buster, funny part of the cyl bores were really clean, (once I drove out the stuck pistons), ( fully how mice can get into engines!!???) it was complete, carb to pan and exh man.
yep I have out the pistons, crank, I will try sending some penetrant down the oil passages too. if I ever get that front lifter to move, I will pull out the cam.
I will try to find that aero-kroil, never seen it in this part of the world.

I have nothin in it but some time and penetrants. just a spare core engine, came with no baggage or expectations!

having spare parts scattered around confirms my place in the world of old Mopars!!??? I piddle with this engine on those cold days I can't get motivated to do something worthwhile!! ha ha

any advice!??

Why didn't you clean all of that crap out of it before trying to soak it and disassemble it.

A 3" or 4" wire wheel on a drill would be a good start, then soak the crap out of it to help loosen them.

Then if that doesn't work, hit each lifter bore with a propane torch to let the metal expand and then try to break the lifters loose one at a time.

Heat is your friend, cast iron is tough , time for the torch.

-
Back