stuck up car show guys....

-

slowdown

Reaction score
Well I've been to several car shows this summer here in Colorado and I've gotta say I'm almost done with it. I thought having a car and getting together with other car guys would be really cool, you know talking car stuff and all that goes with it. But man I gotta say these guys are D--ks... I like anything a guy took the time to try and fix up, if nothing else just to save it from the junk yard, but these guys at these shows don't look at any other cars. They don't even know there are other cars at these shows other then there superior car. Whats up with that. Some of these guys are mopar guys too.
I was parked next to this young kid, who had a dart that looked like a duster and hadn't had the money or time to put into it just yet, but had a plan for future mods but was treated like he didn't belong in a car show, because his car wasn't finished.
I hope it isn't like this all over. I have more fun just cruising around. People are always waving and asking me about my car, without some s--ty tone in there voice...

"When are you gonna paint that thing?" I get tired of hearing it. Sometimes I get more attention than their cars do. lol

There are jerks at ALL car shows.

My first car show ever was the summer on 1965. I had a 57 Ford Fairlane. I had just purchased it, and it was pretty much bone stock, but in very good condition. I happened to be parked between a 58 Chrysler 300 in pristine condition, and a Really well done 1939 Ford Tudor.

The 300 owner was a real jack ***. Even asked me to move my car to another area.

They're at all the shows, don't let it bother you, they're not worth the time.

It is like that everywhere, but there are the others also who understand what it takes and appreciate the work you've done to your car. Even if that work was to get the car able to show up. When I first started attending shows again I ran into my fare share of these people. I found a few of the others too and they are the reason I keep going also to see the other cars. But these guys have become my friends. We help each other out when in need. There are some real competitions within the car clubs also and that may also play into it...?

Yes like everything in life, you have all kinds that make up any event. I choose to not associate with the elitist. I'm doing it for the fun and dad always taught me if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself (not always true I have found out). I my car is being done completely by me. So I enjoy everyone's efforts in their cars. Even the 26" wheeled cars, though it's not my cup of tea. It takes everyone to keep this hobby going. Don't give up because of a few boneheads.
Andy

Well I've been to several car shows this summer here in Colorado and I've gotta say I'm almost done with it. I thought having a car and getting together with other car guys would be really cool, you know talking car stuff and all that goes with it. But man I gotta say these guys are D--ks... I like anything a guy took the time to try and fix up, if nothing else just to save it from the junk yard, but these guys at these shows don't look at any other cars. They don't even know there are other cars at these shows other then there superior car. Whats up with that. Some of these guys are mopar guys too.
I was parked next to this young kid, who had a dart that looked like a duster and hadn't had the money or time to put into it just yet, but had a plan for future mods but was treated like he didn't belong in a car show, because his car wasn't finished.
I hope it isn't like this all over. I have more fun just cruising around. People are always waving and asking me about my car, without some s--ty tone in there voice...

I ran into that a lot at the shows in Greeley the last few years I lived there.Seems like they have their little cliques and won't even look at you unless you can brag about your $25,000 paint job or something. There is a show in Evans on Labor day every year put on by the Melby Family. No entry fee, no trophys...just car people getting together and eating and talking cars. If you get a chance to go you will find a better vibe. People come from as far as California. Let me know and I can give you directions to get there.:cheers:

yup, I am in Colorado as well and this is exactly why I don't do shows anymore either......they actually told me at a show one time that the section I was parked in was reserved for the "high profile" cars only so please move my A-body out of the way. "high profile" to them means superbirds and the thousand purple E-bodies that are at the same shows every time. When it comes time for awards......its only the guys in the clique.

Unfortunately some of the mopar guys in this state are the worst I have ever encountered, for awhile I was going to New Mexico (they are much nicer)

Yet the funny thing is that the street rod nationals at the fair, which is a mix of vehicles bring in the most friendly car people you can find. (usually from other states lol)

Care show people are a different breed than racers or hobbyists for the most part. I rarely go to shows because for the most part i dont care what anyone else thinks of my wheels. That said my ratty SS slant six dart gets more love than the hemi charger and raced out AMC rambler (dont recall what they called those) which is fun but not why i go.

I ran into that a lot at the shows in Greeley the last few years I lived there.Seems like they have their little cliques and won't even look at you unless you can brag about your $25,000 paint job or something. There is a show in Evans on Labor day every year put on by the Melby Family. No entry fee, no trophys...just car people getting together and eating and talking cars. If you get a chance to go you will find a better vibe. People come from as far as California. Let me know and I can give you directions to get there.:cheers:
Thanks. But I will be in the Big horns that weekend. Although it sounds great!

most of those jerks, paid someone else to work on their car. I build and paint my cars.
ask the jerks a few questions about the restoration/build of the car. I bet ya get some real bullshit answers.

most of those jerks, paid someone else to work on their car. I build and paint my cars.
ask the jerks a few questions about the restoration/build of the car. I bet ya get some real bullshit answers.
On the money!

Like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same :bs: everywhere.

I rarely go to shows anymore. Mostly because I get sick of seeing yet another perfectly restored factory correct car that never sees the light of day unless it's 78 ºF, the humidity is less than 30%, and there's no chance of rain for at least 3 days. Stock is boring.

Same with the $100k customs. Why spend that much money on something that's going to sit in your garage 361 days out of the year?

I do all my own work and I drive everywhere, no trailers. No, my cars aren't perfect. Far from it. But I also get to enjoy them pretty much every day of the year. Rain, snow, whatever, I'm driving one of my cars. That's what I enjoy, not the opinion of some guy that wrote a check for some factory correct whatever that looks exactly the same as every other factory correct whatever out there and spends 99.9% of its time in a climate controlled garage.

all i can say is I belong to the I.B.M. car club.

I , Build, Mine.

i think the stuck up ones are a lot of the ones who put cubic dollars in their rides, instead of sweat equity..

oh well.

....got a good dose of this bullshit this summer too locally....I won't even bother, not a single guy EVEN the clubs president that was present stuck his nose up......And his '55 Chevy panel truck looked like **** anyway! The freakin' paint was peelin' offthe side panels on it and the flames, needed SERIOUS re-painting so. not to mention the motor sounded as tho it needed head work "valves chattering" try to talk to him about it? Yeah he don't do ANY of it! Whatever, the local guy "Mopar Pete" has a better attitude then this joker....And Pete has 7 MOPAR muscle cars, 3 A body's the rest are B body's ALL everyday drivers and I heard them cut him down too!

Personally, I think it jealousy!

Nothingbutdarts.....thanks so much for the video...I missed last year cause I couldn't leave Arizona because of Surgery.1st one I've missed in a long time.Grew up there... nice to see the old Hometown.

I have not run into that snobby attitude around here (Connecticut). But then again, I don't usually go to judged "shows". There are lots of cruise nights, they are almost always fun and anyone can participate. Sometimes trophies are given out, but it isn't a huge deal.

I grew up going to car shows all over the Midwest. I stuck with my dad and his friends and learned a lot but never talked to others because I didn't want to look stupid. Now I know enough about cars to not sound like a idiot so I started talking to guys at shows. Now I'm to the point where I stay away from all shows that don't have racing. Everyone at a show feels like only their car matters.

One of the last shows I went to my dad and I parked our cars next to a guy with some big fifties cruiser that was all chromed out. He didn't put the duster down for more then 5 minutes the entire time. He didn't win a trophy and he threw a fit like a child. This is becoming pretty common from what I hear.

I go to races almost every weekend and I have made friends with a lot of guys there. Guys that gave me those small random parts I needed for my car and asked for nothing in return.

Cruise ins aren't bad usually. There is no judging and the real high end car owners wouldn't dare take their car to a cruise in.

I don't know. There's a small show here twice a year that has a few guys like that. Most of them are new Camaro owners who just drive the car off the lot to the show.

Most of the guys will spend time walking around the show, getting tips and pointers from other owners. It's such a small community around here that most of the guys who are showing or just going to check things out know each other or know someone who knows the others. Most just stand around and talk about their cars, offer to lend hands, or keep a look out for each other.

Most of the Mopar guys around here are the same way. Most of us know each other or if we don't actually know that someone we know of that someone. I've yet to go to a local show where the owner has been snobbish or not willing to talk your ear off about his car.

I've yet to go to a local show where the owner has been snobbish or not willing to talk your ear off about his car.

Same here, it's when I start talking about my car they stop talking, usually a chivey or a ferd guy though.

-
Back