stud girdle

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
whos and why do you like them...what makes 1 better then the other????ive only seen a few made for b/rb add the 1's you know of please...mike

im collecting parts now for my stroker build and looking over price and quality aswell...

I used Hughes stud gridle in my 340, although its not a bb the idea works the same for both.

Tell your thought on it and what you think is the best way to go crackedback if you don't mind. I'm new to the big block and power leval I'm trying to reach thanks mike

Caps walk on BB even with a girdle

If you are making some serious power needing more than stock caps, put alum caps and studs. That's what mine is getting.

IMHO, girdles are considered relevant where engines see regular RPM's at or above 7000. I agree with cracked, where the engines are limited to ~ 5500-6000 rpm, they're a waste of money.

BTW Cracked, for some reason I have a hard time reading your posts. Isn't there something less distracting you can use for a second avatar - even though I like it very much...? Just sayin' ~{:>)

OK, back on subject. Mopars answer to high rev-ing engines was cross-bolts used in the Hemi's, and they do a very good job of stabilizing caps at high rpm and power levels. Here's an article from Mopar Mucsle where Dave Young et al updated a wedge block with Pro-Grams billet caps and cross-bolted the block.

It's not a cheap modification, and only recommeded for high rpm race engines, but it's probably the best investment - next to a cross-bolted siamese block you can make.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...pro_gram_mopar_big_block_main_caps/index.html

Here's Pro-Grams site. www.pro-gram.com

Just figured you might enjoy the read. Again, in my opinion, any girdle that is not cross-bolted through the block, is probably a waste of time and provides limited gains in durability.

Southernman

Caps walk on BB even with a girdle

If you are making some serious power needing more than stock caps, put alum caps and studs. That's what mine is getting.

Yup. If you really believe you need a girdle, get a better block. Otherwise, use the aluminum caps.

thanks guys ..southernman who do you use in raleigh nc im only 45mins from you and work there bout everyday/day mike

also i have read and talk to alot of guys that run the 400 block and they say that thats the only way they will build a hi hp motor with a stock block whats your thought on that...guy leave down the road just moved here from maryland has a daytona that runs high 8s in the 1/4 mile stock block b1 heads....would i be $$$$$$ ahead with the 400 block ,cause the race block is out of the budget right now down the road i can see 1 but not now..thanks again mike

thanks guys ..southernman who do you use in raleigh nc im only 45mins from you and work there bout everyday/day mike

also i have read and talk to alot of guys that run the 400 block and they say that thats the only way they will build a hi hp motor with a stock block whats your thought on that...guy leave down the road just moved here from maryland has a daytona that runs high 8s in the 1/4 mile stock block b1 heads....would i be $$$$$$ ahead with the 400 block ,cause the race block is out of the budget right now down the road i can see 1 but not now..thanks again mike

Mike, I'd have to agree with you on the 400 blocks, but remember, many of the guys that strictly race them, use Hardblock or other fillers to reduce the blocks tendency to flex under stress. I've also heard of partial fills successfully used on street cars, as long as you only fill to the bottom of the freeze plugs.

Here's a link to a guy that builds street/strip cars that regularly exceed 1000 HP and he's been running the same 383 block for the past 8 years. This link shows him making an 8.54 street legal pass and SD Concepts has a reputation for making huge HP with factory blocks - that last.

Scott, the owner of SD Concepts has a very interesting site and I'm sure he'd be glad to take a few minutes to discuss block integrity with anyone that calls.

www.sd-concepts.com
401-826-4400

Here's the link to his site, and he works on all brands. However, click on the orange "street" Challenger and watch a few of his runs on 10" tires no less.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdconcepts

To answer your question, I'd favor the low decks as well. Enjoy the clips !

Southernman

Mike, sorry, forgot you asked 2 questions:

"thanks guys ..southernman who do you use in raleigh nc im only 45mins from you and work there bout everyday/day mike".

I've used Johnny Boyette (West St) over the years, and him and Doug do a pretty darned good job. However, if I'm building something very expensive, I'm fortunate that I have a friend who owns a machine shop and he only does work for the NASCAR crowd. Way back when he was an upstart, I sent him a lot of my stuff, and because of that, he always machines my projects - but it can take a few months to get things back.

Southernman

For those who may not be familiar with Scott and SD Concepts, here's another 340 project his shop put together (386 cubes) that was originally dialed in at 1000 HP, but has since been upgraded to produce over 1300 HP - from a small block.

This video shows the Duster on the dyno. Check SD's clips out. These guys know their stuff.

[ame="http://youtu.be/2CCmDO3csXc"]302 Found[/ame]

Southernman

Leaping lizards Batman. That's one bad to dah bone Duster. You gotta love the sound of that thing. :burnout:

Gotta say once this duster floors it, it sounds just like my friend's sister when she starts talking.

He needs to spend more time on mounting the car to the rollers... Not good for the strap to pull apart.

-
Back