Stuff I do while Truckin

-
Just wondering how often you get home and how much time you get to spend there? I worked driving for these people for 18 yrs. Been laid off now for over a year. Doesn't look like their business is going to pick back up enough for me to go back. We had 22 trucks now they run 5-8 a day.

Attachments

• IMAG1878.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 484
Just wondering how often you get home and how much time you get to spend there? I worked driving for these people for 18 yrs. Been laid off now for over a year. Doesn't look like their business is going to pick back up enough for me to go back. We had 22 trucks now they run 5-8 a day.

I stay out 3 or 4 weeks then come home for a week or 2

Thanks for the pics Big.

I'm 65 and retired but I would have loved to do what you do.

Hats off to you sir!

Its a tough job!There are more morons out in trucks now a days.There is nothing where I live at except for the oil field and they dont pay much unless you want to work a bunch of stupid hrs cause you wont make it on 40 hrs you need the 50 of overtime!

Seeing your truck in action in all walks of life sure is an eye opener B.D. :glasses7:
And yes I sure enjoy watching your days/nights out on the road all over the county :cheers:
I was wondering how long it takes to fill up that truck... It's seems like I stand next to my Ramcherger for ever waiting for it to shut down at the pump:D
Keep it neat and continue being safe,smart and reliable B.D.:prayer: and thank you for getting the job dun for all the folks out there needing your services :cheers: And I must add you are doing it in fine fashion :cheers: Your truck always looks so nice :cheers:

Cool stuff BD! A buddy of mine was a Owner Operator and took me on a couple of short trips with him just so I could see what it was like. On one of them, we took a load of ski lift supports up to Telluride. Going around the side of that mountain on a soft road about scared the crap out of me.

Btw, you can drop off a trailer load of Fat Tire or that Kawasaki trailer at my place... ;)

Cool stuff BD! A buddy of mine was a Owner Operator and took me on a couple of short trips with him just so I could see what it was like. On one of them, we took a load of ski lift supports up to Telluride. Going around the side of that mountain on a soft road about scared the crap out of me.

Btw, you can drop off a trailer load of Fat Tire or that Kawasaki trailer at my place... ;)

ok!

Very cool thanks for the pics.Retired auto transport driver.

without trucks America stops.........

After goofing off in Port Lavaca Tx I moved to San Antonio to pick up a thermos bottle Monday going to Jersey.Ill post up a pic Monday!

I drove for a leasing company back in the early 70's. did two runs a month Brooklyn NY to San Jose, Calif, to San Diego, and back to Brooklyn.

btw, not a single interstate was completed coast to coast back then. There was a lot of time spent cruising 2 lane black top, trying to make up time. No "mickey mouse" keeping track time and motion, either, so stretching the day was much easier.

I enjoyed it back then, too. Like I said, no phones, no radios, no GPS. Just me and a log book. Even the scales were mechanical instead of electronic, and if there was a discrepancy of a few hundred lbs, it could easily be blamed on mechanical failure, or a bad read, or most times just ignored.

All the loads I did back then were "spot and pick". no handling at all. I wasn't married yet, so it wasn't bad. I was saving money for another 2 yeas of college, and I was able to put away far more than I ever dreamed.

Been waiting over 2 hrs for paperwork in San Antonio. I'm getting a room tonight to watch Street outlaws on Discovery channel tonight,they need the trailer but is going to have to wait since I'm waiting on them!

20130610_092255_zps942603ce.jpg

Thank you for posting these pics about being on the road and what you're up to! I really enjoyed them, Keep 'em coming. Stay safe!

After Dropping in Md, I went back. To Frackville Pa. And pickedup going to Columbus

20130614_140538_zps067d2751.jpg

10.5 lb knucklehead aka Yorkie. He's been trucking for 10 yrs. 48 states and 4 providences of Canada 940,000 miles on him

10.5 lb knucklehead aka Yorkie. He's been trucking for 10 yrs. 48 states and 4 providences of Canada 940,000 miles on him

I thought he was a Yorkie. We have two of them and each have a very unique personality. My wife had Yorkies when we go married 30 years ago and we have never been without one. Our previous one lived to be a tad over 18 years old.

He will son be a 1,000,000 mile Yorkie.

Stopped inWalcolt Iowa to the biggest over priced dump in the world!If u stop don't eat in the restaurant, if u do make sure u pray after u eat!

20130616_063722_zps842885d5.jpg

20130616_063613_zps71e38491.jpg

20130616_063819_zps7fd07bb0.jpg

20130616_063815_zps91aee390.jpg

Really?

I've always liked the food at TA's. But prefer the food at Flyin' J's.

My old man drove for 25 years. Over 3M miles in that span.

When I went on to become a body man a lot of family friends asked me why I didn't become a driver like my old man. I told 'em because my old man is. I love to travel, I love to drive, but it's the extracurricular activity of being a driver I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate. Lumpin' loads, dealing with every other idiot on the highway, putting up with dispatchers who think a five hour drive can be done in half an hour because the two cities are only an inch apart on a map.

On the plus side, as a driver's son, it was nice to have a pro teach me how to drive.

Friends in high school asked me why I didn't take driver's ed. I told 'em that I have a professional driver who's taught me how to drive, not some dumbass gym teacher looking to make a few extra bucks. And the dumbass gym teacher was standing right there when I said it.

thanks for sharing the pics. Im starting truck driving classes in a week. im thinking about doing flatbed hauls. is there any pointers for a newbie?

-
Back