Stumped maybe stupid???????

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
hello all. I have evrything out and off the front end of my dart67. Im having a problem getting out the torsion bars under the floor. Is there a trick??????Also..Sterring box from underhood coloum.Power steering.Any help would be appreciated. Yes im very green at this,,LOL:read2:

Have you backed off the adjuster bolts all the way???

They also sometimes need some persuasion to come out, ie, rusted in place. There is a special clamp you attach to the bar, then hammer on the clamp to break the bar free.

You need to remove the C clips at the rear of the torsion bars, then totally loosen off the torsion bar bolts (the ones in your lower control arms), make sure you have the car up on jack stands, as it will sink down to the ground, and you don't want to be under. Then use a tool like this..

23461-2T.jpg

And smash on it with a hammer, knocking the torsion bars loose and out to the rear.

You can buy the pictured tool at www.manciniracing.com , I bought it and it works good, you just sometimes have to replace the bolts as they snap due to being beaten on.

As for steering box, you may want to slide the steering wheel up from inside, so again, remove column shift linkage, and undo the pin in the steering coupler. I believe that's what I did for mine.

NNNNooooooo....Do NOT use Vise-Grips!!! They will nick the bars and ruin them!

Use the clamp pictured in Mike's post.

Sorry, Mike...just had to mention that.

also, good pickup on the clips. I forgot to mention those.

NNNNooooooo....Do NOT use Vise-Grips!!! They will nick the bars and ruin them!

Use the clamp pictured in Mike's post.

Sorry, Mike...just had to mention that.

also, good pickup on the clips. I forgot to mention those.

No worries, I never used vice grips either, I had just heard from other people that they work.

can you not just pry back on the lca-- assembly?(after clips/nuts /tension are removed) I recall doing this to replace strut rod bushings & that is what the directions suggested, worked great. Lawrence

I have everthing out.LCA..UCA.......orsion bars seem stuck in mount under floor. Never new about c clips ..thanks everyone...:cheers:

I have everthing out.LCA..UCA.......orsion bars seem stuck in mount under floor. Never new about c clips ..thanks everyone...:cheers:

Remove the C clips for sure, and using that tool I pictured, hammer away. Sometimes you have to pound the sh*t out of them to get them out.

When going back with the torsion bars, I have always found that coating the hexes with a thick coat of Permatex Anti-Seize Compound works real good to keep them from seizin up again. Mopar makes some specific torsion bar grease for that purpose, but through the years I have found that the Anti-Seize works better. It is temperature resistant to 1600 degrees farenheight and is slick as owl ****.

Ya know it JUST might be a good idea to round up a shop manual for your car. I still have the old tattered one back from when I had my old '70 RR, and just bought one "on CD" of the bay

Am I missing something? if the LCAs are already out then why not pull the bars out from the front ?
come to think of it, you can't get the lowers out WITHOUT pulling the bars first, unless you've pulled the whole K member.

Just to add my 2 cents, I read somewhere on FABO that the goose neck from a bicycle works well to clamp on the T bars and then drive them out. I just unbolted the LCA and pushed the Tbar out with it.

according to my bud who's a service writer at Mission Chrysler/Jeep here in S.A., this is the grease that they got a S.O. (whatever that means) from "up stairs" to use on torsion bar ends and in the boot...

SO = Service Order ?

Keep us posted Moves. Did ya get em out? The boys gave ya some good instructions so let us know. Here to help ya. You aint stupid. We were all green at one time about this type of stuff. We're here for ya till ya get er.
Small Block

Sorry for the delay all. I got them out. Well after i took the clips out...LOL. Thanks everyone. All the responses were great to see. A manual would be great. Im a little discouraged with the wrong year doors and fenders on the car. Well.........what can you do. Again thanks .:wav:

Awesome!...Glad you got'em out! Like Small Block said, not stupid...just green...and we were ALL like that at one time!!! Check EBay for a factory manual pertaining to your car. It has loads of info on everything in your car....great bathroom reading too!! :)

Keep asking q's...that way we all learn!

BTW, we LOVE pics here!!! Post some pics of your ride!

Cheers...

-
Back