Stupid things you did when you were young thread

-
1) Sold my 69 and 1/2, 440-6 ,4spd., Dana, Super Bee. At the time it was the smart thing to do! Funny how 25 years will change a SMART thing into a DUMB thing! Lol!
2) Everything I did from 13-19.........:lol:

Not me, but a friend. He traded a driveable but wrecked 1970 Dodge Charger, 440 6 pack, 4 speed car for a rebuilt 383 for his other 1970 Charger! I could hardly believe it when he told me! Somebody saw him comin'. I think he said something later about how he probably shouldn't have done it.

That's it?

Nope, tried to change a starter on my '73 Cuda 4spd with headers. never disconnected the battery. Wrenched dropped, got stuck between the 2 starter posts while the car was in gear. Rolled right on off the stock jack with me under it. Not once, but twice.

Not a mark.

First intake manifold ever...I didn't use thread seal on the coolant plugs. There was coolant EVERYWHERE...LOL!!! :eek:ops:

Sold my 70 smallblock 'cuda for $120 and I even threw in a perfect left rear quarter panel. Gave away a 67 camaro 327 4 speed and a 68 fairlane fastback that were nice cars. Sold my 70 mustang fastback 4 speed for $500.
Didn't buy an absolute mint 72 Chevelle ss-454 4 speed 25000 mile car for $2500 because my brother talked me out of buying a chevy.

2) Everything I did from 13-19.........:lol:
In my case it might be 13-25 :violent1:

Nope, tried to change a starter on my '73 Cuda 4spd with headers. never disconnected the battery. Wrenched dropped, got stuck between the 2 starter posts while the car was in gear. Rolled right on off the stock jack with me under it. Not once, but twice.

Not a mark.

Yow! Good thing you're OK. :goodman:

Great stuff Guys! I swear everything below is true, fortunately nothing serious.
When I was 12, I was working on my first car in my Dad's repair shop, 64 Falcon, dropped the alternator between the motor and the frame, of course, had not taken off battery or wire for alt, fried up most of the wires before I could get it unwedged.

Removing bad battery from car in front of my Dad's shop when I was 16 in 0 degree weather, shorted out wrench on pos term to frame. Top of battery blew off, shooting shards of plastic onto my face, had to throw away all the clothes I had on due to acid...still ok tho.

One winter, working under car to remove trans, my Dad was working in bay next to me adjusting carb. Phone rang, he went to get it. Meanwhile exhaust tube fell off the exhast pipe. I almost died due to carbon monoxide poisoning, luckily he pulled me out before too late. Still get severe headaches any time I smell exhaust.

After I was married I was laying under a car, removing the wire from a starter solonoid. I shorted my wedding ring between the nut and frame, the heat burned my finger before I could get it out. Still ok tho.

Finally, it dawned on me that the FIRST thing you do is disconnect the battery! I have a quick disconnect on my Dart, the first thing I do when I lift the hood is disconnect it. Both my boys learned early in life to do this.

How about drinking and driving stories, amazing what kind of stuff we did back in the late 60's and 70's. 67 Chevelle, 396/350HP auto/w 2.73? gear. Coming from party 2:00AM down Xpressway, decided to see what she would do... buried speedo needle. Passed State Cop. Slowed down rather than make it worse. Cop caught me couple miles down the road. Smoke was billowing from all four wheel wells. Cop thought the car was on fire.
Empty beer cans in trunk. Cop put me in back of his cruiser, decided to give me a ticket for 15 over and sent me home. Told my dad I got speeding ticket for 85 in 70. He made me get my own insurance instead of using his dealer plate.

Thank god I grew up before it was too late.
Kim.

When I was younger (only 29 now, before I had my drivers License) I bought a MINT 1979 Can-Am Qualifier 175 dirt bike. The only thing wrong was the kill switch did not work. My dad paid the $40.00 for it (we were dirt poor and this was a hell of a deal) and he helped me load it up. We got it back and quickly checked it over. My dad said "you do not ride this until I get the kill button working", OK I said. The next day school got out for the weekend and I was anxious to take it for a nice long first ride to my camp about 45 miles away. My buddy and I loaded up and headed out on the 1+ hour trek. I made it about 20 minutes when I dumped the bike (it was tall and I am short) and when I picked it up I noticed that the front sprocket (gear) came off the crankshaft. It was still on the chain, but somehow the cotter pin came out. Rather than trying to get the splines lined up while the bike was running (sprockets/chains + fingers in close proximity = bad situation) I decided to get it to shut off. I was just putting it in fifth gear and dumping the clutch to kill the engine but with the chain not hooked up obviously that wasn't going to work. I shut the fuel switch to the 'off' position but knew that may take a few minutes idling to actually die so I grabbed the fuel hose and was gonna pull it off the petcock. I tugged it and the entire petcock came out of the fuel tank dumping fuel out through the 1-inch hole all over the magnesium engine case. It flashed up instantly and my buddy was still holding the bike up using via the rear fender (no kickstand). I yelled "drop the damn bike" and ran what seemed like .5 miles to the closest house and nobody was home. Nobody was home so I started back to Jeff and the bike and saw guy with a fire extinguisher but that was way too late already. The Fire Dept. arrived and dumped a ton of sand on it and I was like NO!!!!!..lol

Nobody was hurt thank God, and it was a hard lesson learned.

Why they didnt fasten the petcock to the tank I do not know. it was just a rubber 'mushroom tip' like this: <= that once pushed in wasn't super easy (or very hard) to pull out.
Anyother bike would have survived, but it wasn't the smartest idea anyways.

Broke right foot by riding a mini bike.

My best friend was riding *****; he was using the footpegs, and I was hanging my feet on the ends of the front axle bolt. Until we hit a bump, and my foot got bent back under the footpeg. I still have a little bit of a limp (more than a little some days).

I've got a few more... I have a jacket that shows why you don't wear an unbuttoned jacket while using a radial arm saw..., I've got a scar on my left index finger that shows why you don't look over at the person next to you when you work as a meatcutter.

Never mind... I'm not sure posting this **** is any too bright, either.

-bill

When I was about 20. i was working at a Chrysler dealer washing
cars. 1974. Went with the service manager to tow in a tradein
car. Found out it was a 69 Daytona. 440 auto. This car was in
pieces. I could of bought it for $500. I said no. Dumb *** me.
I just thought it was ugly. Stupid, Stupid me.
Also I had to wait till I was 50 years old to break a bone. On a mini bike,
riding with my son in law, him on his and I'm on mine. Went to
adjust the carb. Next thing I know I'm doing a superman off
the side of it. Those are my stories and I'm sticking to them.

Never mind... I'm not sure posting this **** is any too bright, either.

-bill[/QUOTE]

:toothy8: That`s good!!! This is just proof positive of how human we are, and it`s great entertainment too.:joker:

When I was 18 I had a ford courier truck my dad gave me. During an off road session the upper ball joint came apart, I just wired it back together and drove around for months like that. My auto shop teacher in high school (who always preached about taking the caps off the battery when charging it) was making a hold down bracket for the charging battery caused the battery to explode(did not take the caps off)had to get stiches in my left eyebrow from that. My ears rang for 3 days from shooting a box of shells from an "altered" shotgun without hearing protection. Got married once. Accidentally caught a 10th story hotel room on fire in China. Stuck my finger in between a 1/2 inch end mill and a peice of steel I just machined. I spread most of these occurences through out a few years, so I could rest up.

OK!! Just one more,,, one of many.

Picture this!!!

A quick intake change for little brother.
I pulled the intake carb and all.
Then I laid a protective towel down on the engine
"keep everything out" then prepped for new gaskets.
Walked to my car 70 barracuda had a beer with brother and a sandwich.
One of his friends showed up and had one two.
They where talking so I got back to the intake change.
"360 stock build" I prepared gaskets and walk over to my car and pulled a stock four barrel steal and carb in place,
Walked over and eye bold it in a let her go.:help:
Went back to the cooler for a cold one.

aluminum intake sure was lighter getting here out.
With some kind of old Holly it.

Pulled the bolts out of gas socking can and started all the bolts by hand.
Time for another beer.
Then brother Dans friend left and he walked over and seen that little intake on and said "Are you sure" .:cry:

I could not wait to let him feel and start his motor.
So I picked up ratchet and started bringing it down.
Brother over my shoulders.

I shouted out SSHHHIIIIIIger.
Gess what I did "I said".

I could not find the towel no where:sign3:

Until I removed the intake.:salut:

The car ran Perfect.
He could lay a patch at 50mph.

1991 I had my new 292 508 lift cam in my original 70 340 Duster. I bought a Ford EXP two seater for a daily driver into college. Second week of college raced my buddy in his 1990 Nissan Pulsar NX back from his cottage. We had a party at the night before. I lost the race...The pole cost $816 when I had no extra money to my name...Bye Bye Duster. Oh well now I am educated and have to pay 10 to 100 times the original price I paid for that Duster.

At 11 years old, I mowed over a small tree with my dad's lawn tractor. I now have the tractor in my possession today and it still runs great.

At 15, I was backing my dad's 89 Ford Ranger out of the garage so I could get the same lawn tractor out of the garage to mow. I figured I'd just give it a push out rather than start it up and back it out (it was a 5 speed). Well in order to do this, you have to put your left foot on the ground to get it rolling. This means the truck door has to be open. Well a truck won't fit out the garage opening with the truck door open. Crunched the door and fender pretty good.

Rotated the tires on my Dakota a few years back. I got stopped several times in the process and was BSing with people. Forgot to tighten the lugnuts on the passenger rear wheel. Drove it a mile home and left it overnight, not realizing. Go to leave the next morning for work and feel this strange wobble and noise as I just pull out of my driveway and up the road a few hundred feet. It actually came to me pretty quick what I must have done and I stopped immediately. Got out and the wheel was just resting on the studs ready to come off had I got a few feet more.

Got another one I just thought of. I was probably around 14-15 and we had a 1951 International Farmall Cub tractor. It had a 6 volt electrical system in it. If you got on it and cranked it and it didn't start real quick, it wouldn't have enough juice and you would have to hand crank it. I got on it to start it and of course, it didn't fire. I got off to hand crank it. However, I forgot to take it out of gear. No type of neutral safety on this old stuff. I had left the choke lever pulled and the throttle set about half way. As soon as I hand cranked it the first pull, it fired up, and being in reverse, proceeded to mow over everything in it's path. It was in our outbuilding and had been backed in. As soon as it started, the one rear tire clipped my dad's work bench that had been fastened to the wall and promptly ripped it away from the wall. We also had a lawn sweeper and bicycles in there and it backed over all of that. My first reaction was to grab the front axle, which the tractor had no problem dragging me. I finally came to my senses and jerked it out of gear just as it was preparing to go out the back wall. I was shaking for about 5 minutes after that, couldn't believe what just happened.:puke:

Decided to "baja" through a field on our farm in my '87 Ranger, rolled it at 70mph into a tree. With no seat belts. Or injuries.

Back in the early 80’s I bought a ’70 Demon from a buddy of mine. The engine was blown and the frame rotted – but it had a good fiberglass front end for my '70 Dart and some nice mags – paid a whopping $75. “Forgot” to transfer the ownership though…. This is key.

My buddies and I stripped all the parts from it we wanted and proceeded the beat the hell out of it with sledgehammers and pick axes. Well it made a big mess in the driveway and Dad wasn’t too impressed. So we bolted on some old bald steelies, tied a chain to it and my truck and loaded a buddy into the driver seat with goggles on – lots of glass flying and headed to the wreckers – got about halfway there and the rear wheels came off. Managed to get it to the side of road – big gouge in the highway. We ripped off the dash vin tag and buggered off.

Did I mention that the father of the guy I bought it from was a cop? Well we’re sitting in grade 11 class the next day when two cops show up and take him from the class and proceed to give him hell – remember I forgot to change the ownership. He came back into class pretty redfaced –so was I and the rest of the gang from laughing our asses off….

I was just talking with Adam here and decided to share with all of you the dumbest thing ever. I grew up in LA as a musician and at one point was in a band that was going to open at the Wiskey A-Go-Go in Hollwood for another band named Saxon. Just before our first ever gig, my friends decided to leave and I followed them. The two remaining members, who started the band, were James Hetfeld and Lars Ulrich. Well the rest for those two was history as they didn't let thier first cancelled gig as Metallica deter them from moving forward. If I'd ever known what would happen next, you can bet I would have stuck around, cause THAT WAS DUMB!
:cussing::scratch:

Thre pages and no-one has died yet? That's remarkable. Almost enough to disprove evolution theories...lol.

Thre pages and no-one has died yet? That's remarkable. Almost enough to disprove evolution theories...lol.

I've resisted joining this thread for the simple reason I did so MANY stupid things growing up, it's amazing I'm not dead, in jail, or worst.... seriously F`ed up.

But I did accidentally flush my new watch down the toilet a few years ago....

I was just talking with Adam here and decided to share with all of you the dumbest thing ever. I grew up in LA as a musician and at one point was in a band that was going to open at the Wiskey A-Go-Go in Hollwood for another band named Saxon. Just before our first ever gig, my friends decided to leave and I followed them. The two remaining members, who started the band, were James Hetfeld and Lars Ulrich. Well the rest for those two was history as they didn't let thier first cancelled gig as Metallica deter them from moving forward. If I'd ever known what would happen next, you can bet I would have stuck around, cause THAT WAS DUMB!
:cussing::scratch:

That's does suck. Metallica ranks up there at the top for me. Cliff Burton is my all-time favorite bass player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wGFfrJv4Y

-
Back