Suggestions for new design Aluminum Mopar SB clean slate (kind of) cylinder heads

-
I run 10.20's in a steel car with a head that barely flowed 280. I appreciate everyone's input, and I think this should be a fun project. Thanks all for pointing out things I hadn't thought of!!
280-290 ish cfm is a reasonable goal since it's proven ability of the overall stock structure, no reason not to cast a port the shape of a ported head even if there's no real growth room it's enough for 90% of us but would be nice if porting and larger valves could gain 10-15% + cfm, you could always sell thats in a cnc option. it would be nice if they had the best chamber design available since what I've heard the ones we got offer a fairly generic design.

The point is with a few changes in the casting, it will work fine as a street head and crate engine head, AND hopefully provide a lower cost casting for the guys wanting to build a 650hp and up engine.
I stated that earlier. Though NOT that HP figure.
The problem is you want low cost, not gonna happen, and the performance potential is in other heads, but not cheap. Your not getting both.

Re read what I said earlier.
Thats where there is a huge hole in the small mopar head market.
No, there’s not. The huge hole is in peoples wallet. Some, in there heads. It really is as simple as this. An Edelbrock head as cast is fine rod the street and ported, just fine rod the strip. Pittsburgh racer has been pointing this out for years.

If you need to step up above the Edelbrock head, you can look at a Brodix, Indy having an oval and rectangular port head, Edelbrock’s Victor head and the W9.

All bases are covered. Verity of manufacturers is not.
Cheap it’ll never be. Any serious head will cost a bunch of bucks.
And that’s the bottom line.

I stated that earlier. Though NOT that HP figure.
The problem is you want low cost, not gonna happen, and the performance potential is in other heads, but not cheap. Your not getting both.

Re read what I said earlier.

No, there’s not. The huge hole is in peoples wallet. Some, in there heads. It really is as simple as this. An Edelbrock head as cast is fine rod the street and ported, just fine rod the strip. Pittsburgh racer has been pointing this out for years.

If you need to step up above the Edelbrock head, you can look at a Brodix, Indy having an oval and rectangular port head, Edelbrock’s Victor head and the W9.

All bases are covered. Verity of manufacturers is not.
Cheap it’ll never be. Any serious head will cost a bunch of bucks.
And that’s the bottom line.
Doesnt have too. Mopar folks have just accepted thats the way it is. Look at whats availible for small block chevy and ford. Although we are a smaller market, we are still a market. The w2 head had a sales run of over 30 years. Indy still sells heads at their prices. A lower priced option with the same horsepower capabilities isnt a bad thing, right?

A lower priced option with the same horsepower capabilities isnt a bad thing, right?
Yes It would be a good thing if a manufacturer could come up with a 330+ cfm head with stock port and push rod locations, if you could do 290 cfm as cast and 330+ cfm cnc'd but is that realistic goal?

Yes It would be a good thing if a manufacturer could come up with a 330+ cfm head with stock port and push rod locations, if you could do 290 cfm as cast and 330+ cfm cnc'd but is that realistic goal?
Not likely with the pushrod in the stock location. Even if it hit 330 cfm it wouldnt make the horsepower it should.

Johnny, thanks for sticking with us on this, despite all of the arguing.
It's all good conversation! If I was looking for an all out race head, and didn't care about people's headers and intakes fitting, I would be taking a very different approach. This should be a nice little head when done, for most of the people in the market. And don't get me wrong, I like shaft rockers. But I like reducing the cost of our mopar 408's by HUNDREDS of dollars, and using the same ones our 383 chevys take...more.

Not likely with the pushrod in the stock location. Even if it hit 330 cfm it wouldnt make the horsepower it should.
Then I don't see a cheaper 650 hp solution. Maybe if Speedmaster and Edelbrock up there stock flow to 290-300 cfm as the new basic flow level then market might start zeroing on the next level bring competition to the 550-650+ Hp sbm but probably not until then.

It's all good conversation! If I was looking for an all out race head, and didn't care about people's headers and intakes fitting, I would be taking a very different approach. This should be a nice little head when done, for most of the people in the market. And don't get me wrong, I like shaft rockers. But I like reducing the cost of our mopar 408's by HUNDREDS of dollars, and using the same ones our 383 chevys take...more.
I dont believe we were asking you to build a head that no ones intake or heads fit. I just hoped you would leave room in the casting to fill a void in mopar head market. If you cant thats ok. Status qoe remains as it was!

Then I don't see a cheaper 650 hp solution. Maybe if Speedmaster and Edelbrock up there stock flow to 290-300 cfm as the new basic flow level then market might start zeroing on the next level bring competition to the 550-650+ Hp sbm but probably not until then.
Minus “Speedmaster from your post and re look at Edelbrock as there Victor head fills the spot and then some.

Last edited:

I can give you a bare minimum pinch measurement tomorrow if your want it. Then if you could build in even more that’s a bonus for everyone.

Minus “Speedmaster from your post and re look at Edelbrock as there Gictor head fills the spot and then some.
i meant if 290-300 cfm becomes the new baseline for performance head instead of 230-250 cfm, The price of Edelbrock's RPM is now way to high for the flow, trick flow is the better deal now, so Edelbrock gonna have up their RPM heads game to stay competitive. Speedmaster has price on their side.

Is this head going to be made in the U.S.A?

i meant if 290-300 cfm becomes the new baseline for performance head instead of 230-250 cfm,
Ahhhhhh the pipe dreamer enters again. Yea, it would be nice but the businessman won’t hear anything of it.
The price of Edelbrock's RPM is now way to high for the flow, trick flow is the better deal now, so Edelbrock gonna have up their RPM heads game to stay competitive.
They did, it’s called a Victor head.
Speedmaster has price on their side.
Slave labor really comes in handy…. LOL!

All bases are covered...

I've been out of the buy arena for some time now but I don't think some of these can be bought anymore. So they are not an option in the current market, right? I am not so sure all bases are covered today. My opinion.

Ahhhhhh the pipe dreamer enters again. Yea, it would be nice but the businessman won’t hear anything of it.
Trick Flow has set the bar and especially if BluePrint Engines matches it
They did, it’s called a Victor head.
Yes but not many shopping for Speedmaster RPM Trick Flow range of heads are gonna step up to Victors their probably torn between Speedmasters price and Trick Flows performance, RPM heads aren't competitive either way. Other than if your looking for a Magnum head the only reason I can see choosing Edelbrock and looks like BluePrint Engines gonna take that away from them.
Slave labor really comes in handy…. LOL!
Yep makes all kinds of things affordable :)

I've been out of the buy arena for some time now but I don't think some of these can be bought anymore. So they are not an option in the current market, right? I am not so sure all bases are covered today. My opinion.
The Brodix and Indy can be bought tomorrow.
Victor on back order.
W9’s on the shelf waiting for you. Plenty in the used market.
I can even find W7&8 heads.

W2&5 out of production, easy to find on the net. Check the W head group on FB.

The Brodix, by the numbers on their standard head are equal to the Edelbrock, they offer a CNC and a moved centerline version in as cast and CNC. That’s 4 heads from Brodix.

Indy has 2 versions of there 2 heads. As cast and CNC’d versions of there oval and square port small block heads. That’s 4 more to the lot.

Not counting the raw version, IIRC, there are 4 versions of the Victor head. They’re in back order. Summit thinks 5/30 is the date of shipment.

W9, from what I remember, I may be wrong, are still available new.

So what’s the problem?

This post is so far off the rails now the train will never make it back home.

Magnum style head required
Pushrod oiling required
He’s not wanting to produce a race head.
Budget type head for crate engines.

Some guys should start on page one and read his first post.

Trick Flow has set the bar and especially if BluePrint Engines matches it

Yes but not many shopping for Speedmaster RPM Trick Flow range of heads are gonna step up to Victors their probably torn between Speedmasters price and Trick Flows performance, RPM heads aren't competitive either way. Other than if your looking for a Magnum head the only reason I can see choosing Edelbrock and looks like BluePrint Engines gonna take that away from them.

Yep makes all kinds of things affordable :)
Talking to you right now will just piss me off. I don’t know how to nicely say your splitting hairs just to split hairs or you actually believe in something that’s just not there or what a company would consider financially smart.

This is just like talking to a metal midgets farting asshole. It makes no sense.
Please go fart elsewhere.

Oh! If I hurt your feelings, piss off. IDGAF.

I’m out of this de railed convoluted discussion.

Have a good night everyone.

I can give you a bare minimum pinch measurement tomorrow if your want it. Then if you could build in even more that’s a bonus for everyone.
That would be great!! I'm sure you have it posted somewhere but remind me what tfs heads flow ootb? I thought I recalled it wasn't mind blowing?

Last edited:
I dont believe we were asking you to build a head that no ones intake or heads fit. I just hoped you would leave room in the casting to fill a void in mopar head market. If you cant thats ok. Status qoe remains as it was!
Wasn't directed at anyone specifically. Just want to make sure commercially avail parts will bolt on. You wouldn't believe the flack we get for sbc head exhaust ports being raised .500, and BBC heads being raised .600....just trying to keep the masses happy.

Talking to you right now will just piss me off. I don’t know how to nicely say your splitting hairs just to split hairs or you actually believe in something that’s just not there or what a company would consider financially smart.

This is just like talking to a metal midgets farting asshole. It makes no sense.
Please go fart elsewhere.

Oh! If I hurt your feelings, piss off. IDGAF.

I’m out of this de railed convoluted discussion.

Have a good night everyone.
Your one touchy guy lol

I'm not really trying to start anything with you, just don't agree Victor heads in the same bracket as the others, your the one who brought it up to me, it's not that big of a deal, I thought we were just having a convo. And no my feelings are not hurt I'm getting use to your mood swings and random insults, it's all good have a good night no hard feelings on this side.

The Brodix and Indy can be bought tomorrow.
Victor on back order.
W9’s on the shelf waiting for you. Plenty in the used market.
I can even find W7&8 heads.

W2&5 out of production, easy to find on the net. Check the W head group on FB.

The Brodix, by the numbers on their standard head are equal to the Edelbrock, they offer a CNC and a moved centerline version in as cast and CNC. That’s 4 heads from Brodix.

Indy has 2 versions of there 2 heads. As cast and CNC’d versions of there oval and square port small block heads. That’s 4 more to the lot.

Not counting the raw version, IIRC, there are 4 versions of the Victor head. They’re in back order. Summit thinks 5/30 is the date of shipment.

W9, from what I remember, I may be wrong, are still available new.

So what’s the problem?

No problem with me, you know that! I guess I am unable to nail down current availability, that's all, hence my stupid post. :)

Wasn't directed at anyone specifically. Just want to make sure commercially avail parts will bolt on. You wouldn't believe the flack we get for sbc head exhaust ports being raised .500, and BBC heads being raised .600....just trying to keep the masses happy.
No problem!

That would be great!! I'm sure you have it posted somewhere but remind me what tfs heads flow ootb? I thought I recalled it wasn't mind blowing?

Well the good new is TrickFlow said they flow a max of around 300 and I think I got 301 on the first port I flowed. The bad news is I put the other head on a month ago as I was porting a Victor340 for a customer and I thought I would give him numbers from my head with his ported intake on. I wanted to test flow the head first and man the port went turbulent real bad. Too bad to test on. So I unbolted it and tried another port. That port maxed out at 290cfm so I did his flow testing. A week later I did some airspeed testing and found the problem was on the shortside. I spent about 8 minutes on it widening that area and found the 12 cfm. There’s more to be found there with more work. I’ll try to remember to measure that Speedmaster port after church tomorrow.

This post is so far off the rails now the train will never make it back home.

Magnum style head required
Pushrod oiling required
He’s not wanting to produce a race head.
Budget type head for crate engines.

Some guys should start on page one and read his first post.
I agree with what you're saying, but budget head? lol
It's not going to be a budget deal with the research and development needed.
It will be a $1000 dollar head when all is said and done, the price of the crate motor will increase.
or will this be just another Chinese head

-
Back