Summit Crate Engines

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all,Just wondering if anybody has purchased or knows someone that has,a 408 stroker crate engine from Summit.They are done by Blue Print Engines.
They offer a 375hp/450tq for $3595.00 with no intake,carb,water pump.Then a 455hp/500tq for $5195.00. They offer what seems a good warranty. I'm thinking it's almost impossible to build one from scratch for this kind of $. They come dyno tested as well.Please let me know your thoughts.Thanks in advance!

Those are t reviews. There just informative shorts.

I build engines so I'm certainly.....um.....prejudiced.

Got involved with a 496 Chevy Blue Print Engine from Summit. The buyer was having it rebuilt after some 1000 miles and wanted me to work on the heads. If they had broken the engine in properly, it probably have lasted well beyond whatever warranty applied.

Saw what Blue Print had done to the seats in the heads and told them I didn't want my name involved. Average quickie valve job and hardened seats that messes up any real chance for performance. Yep, there is a reason they are.....ah......economical.

there are quite a few threads here about blueprint engines (do a search on them).. i would stay away from them..

Find a reputable machinist/engine builder. I would be leery buying a mass produced engine online. Just my 2 cents

I remember a thread sometime back where someone had a lot of trouble with it Craig. What about that MRL they advertise on here and seem to put out good number's at a reasonable price. Why don't you give that guy a call. Anyhow good Luck I know you've
been going back and forth for a while with that 318 stroker.

What about that MRL they advertise on here and seem to put out good number's at a reasonable price.

Yup, Mikes a good guy. I'm contemplating have an engine built by him in the future. For the second package you listed, you could get one built by MRL for a little more, complete. Give him a call, he'll spend the time necessary talking to you and answer ALL of your questions.

I build engines so I'm certainly.....um.....prejudiced.
LOL, yea, I would be as well. You have a good reputation here and are a very helpful person.

To CudaCox, IQ, IIM, or MRL, who I think is closer to you all build engines with a excellent reputation to be coupled along with it. There not gonna lie about these guys and the various other right ups I have come across.

While not all the press I have read is bad, I also take it with a grain of salt that half of these idiots do not know a thing about breaking in an engine and look a bit deeper into the write ups for the real problem.

There have been a few good stories to there credit and Blue Print has had a few reports spoken to me directly from the end users as good to deal with. So I would deal with them direct if you could.

I think a build up and dyno testing by our local good fellas here would be worth double the entry price of the engine. They will also surpply a head flow sheet of before and after if you ask them to do so of course and a dyno read out of how it performed if you ask for a dyno tune.

Then, you know exactly what you have with proof to go along with all the bragging rights with a engine by these, er, pardon, our guys!

My one fab thing about this as a cherry on top?

Our guys do not build "Create engines" but customers get "Custom engines" as per talking with them directly on the phone. This way, you get what you need and want!

(Geezzz, if anybody didnt know me, they think I'm kissin *** for something! LOL!)

While not all the press I have read is bad, I also take it with a grain of salt that half of these idiots do not know a thing about breaking in an engine and look a bit deeper into the write ups for the real problem.

I have to agree, I have read one or two complaints on the "complaint board" that was resolved. I also read some that were not. Also have to consider the source.

Buying an engine built the way you want it and having the builder break in/dyno it before you take possession, to me would be good peace of mind.

I remember a thread sometime back where someone had a lot of trouble with it Craig. What about that MRL they advertise on here and seem to put out good number's at a reasonable price. Why don't you give that guy a call. Anyhow good Luck I know you've
been going back and forth for a while with that 318 stroker.
Yes I have. Just shopping to see what you get for your $ I hear of guys going overboard when having one built from scratch.I also hear buying a crate motor that has been on the dyno and broke in with a warranty is the way to go and is cheaper. Maybe I should start buying the parts to build.I have some stuff already,just need rotating assembly,heads,intake..etc.Maybe I can make a deal with someone and buy everything in Carlise! Time will tell.

I would give Mike Ware a call at Muscle Motors in Lancing MI. Its a day round trip from where you are. Thats what we did.

-
Back