Sun 504 distributor machine

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A good friend bought this at a swap meet this weekend. He said he bought it for me but he wants to use it first. LOL Sounds like fun! It has the electronic ignition adapter too. tmm

Attachments

• 20131020_170550.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 583
  • 20131020_170605.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 646
I have looked for one of these for years. Now sellers think they are made of gold. They are very handy to set up and test dizzy.

Me too ! Used to use one back in the early 70's for setting up dual points. Would love to have one about ten or so years ago when I was really into this stuff.

I remember reading your thread. I hope the one we got works or will work with a little maintenance.

Something you fight "with all these old girls" that use older circuitry and vacuum tubes is stuff like failing capacitors (condensers) along with wandering values of other components and of course bad or weak vacuum tubes.

If you smell "rotten eggs" smoke, or hear fissing or sparking, turn the thing off until you can check it out.

Something you fight "with all these old girls" that use older circuitry and vacuum tubes is stuff like failing capacitors (condensers) along with wandering values of other components and of course bad or weak vacuum tubes.

If you smell "rotten eggs" smoke, or hear fissing or sparking, turn the thing off until you can check it out.

Letting the smoke out is not a good idea! lol

Stopped at Joes Thursday night. We did a little cleaning and checked it out. It does run but is noisy. The vacuum pump runs too. We took the dist clamp apart for cleaning and lube and got it working good. Joe called Paramount and the guy is great. More than willing to help. The noisy running is a friction wheel that doesn't have a plastic coating on it. It is metal against metal. There is a wheel and bearing kit that we will get to make it happy again then off to the next problem. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20131024_175601.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 421
GREAT!!! I've undertaken (and underestimated) the project---tearing the "Black Menace" down for paint this winter. But hopefully "in between" I'll get time in the snowy crap to get the Allen machine back together.

GREAT!!! I've undertaken (and underestimated) the project---tearing the "Black Menace" down for paint this winter. But hopefully "in between" I'll get time in the snowy crap to get the Allen machine back together.

Did you have any problems finding parts?

I'd love to find one at a reasonable price. Thought about making up a home brewed one.

Stopped at Joes Thursday night. We did a little cleaning and checked it out. It does run but is noisy. The vacuum pump runs too. We took the dist clamp apart for cleaning and lube and got it working good. Joe called Paramount and the guy is great. More than willing to help. The noisy running is a friction wheel that doesn't have a plastic coating on it. It is metal against metal. There is a wheel and bearing kit that we will get to make it happy again then off to the next problem. tmm

Mike...you gonna do dizzy's on the side fer us?:blob:

Did you have any problems finding parts?

I posted a link to the thread up above. I'm not using any of the original circuit except the power transformer for power, and have redone the tach trigger to use a mopar reluctor / pickup.

Mechanical stuff, bearings is in good shape except for the vacuum pump which I junked.

My alignement guy offered one to me for free back in the 90s...i waited one week too long... He gave it to another guy!

A friend picked one up for free.He hasn't fixed it(yet). Had one in school,in the early 80's. Hands down,the best way to diagnose/blueprint/curve a distributor. Nice,TMM!

Mike...you gonna do dizzy's on the side fer us?:blob:
I hope I can do a few for you guys.

I posted a link to the thread up above. I'm not using any of the original circuit except the power transformer for power, and have redone the tach trigger to use a mopar reluctor / pickup.

Mechanical stuff, bearings is in good shape except for the vacuum pump which I junked.
I revisited your link. Looks like you've got it under control. (Way above my head though) lol

My alignement guy offered one to me for free back in the 90s...i waited one week too long... He gave it to another guy!
Dang, a freebe.
A friend picked one up for free.He hasn't fixed it(yet). Had one in school,in the early 80's. Hands down,the best way to diagnose/blueprint/curve a distributor. Nice,TMM!
Dang, another freebe story. I used one at tech school back in the 70's. I didn't recurve anything but I did set up my dual point with new parts. tmm

I got a free MDT a few years ago. The wireing inside is pretty bad. Just sent an E-mail to to see if I can get a wireing diagram, for it. Time to see if I can get it working.

-
Back